GEOSATpro New Feature Request

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
I like the way the microHD can record from 2 channels from the same transponder simultaneously, but would like to request that you also make able the ability to have overlapping recordings from the same channel.
i.e. Currently you can have a recording timer at 7:00pm for 1hr on channel 1, and another recording timer at 7:30pm on channel 2 provided channel 1 and 2 are on the same satellite and same transponder. What I would lie to request is to have the ability to have a recording timer at 7:00pm for 1hr 5 minutes on channel 1 and another recording timer for 8:00pm for 1hr also on channel 1. As you can see the timers overlap by 5 minutes. I like to do this because the programs usually do not start and end exactly on time. I could extend the timer to include both recordings, but the scenereo I'm trying to setup would be the first recording timer would be a daily timer and the second recording time a one time timer.
P.S. I really like this box. I have had a few issues (mainly getting to learn the features) but it is a great working unit. Extremely stable, good working unit.

Well after some more tries to set up timers, I find that maybe this feature is already there?
I have one daily recording timer starting at 7:55pm for 5:06 length.
Another daily recording timer starting at 12:55am for 4:06 length on the same channel. So these timers overlap, but am unable to setup another overlaping timer. (maybe I need to factory reset and setup the timers again)

I have a daily recording timer setup for 4:55pm for 1:06 duration. Was trying to setup a one time recording timer for Feb. 7th for 3:25pm, 1:36 duration on the same channel.
(All these timers are set manually as this sat has no EPG...press timer button, enter timer data)
P.S. I have changed the previous timer that starts at 7:55pm for a duration of 4:06, saved, and can not change it back to 5:06 duration. Changed it to the 4:06 duration as I did not want to have any recording errors during the week. Then tried back to 5:06 to see if it would let me. I will look further into this on the weekend. Currently loaded with the new software, but untill today had the December software loaded. Should it allow overlapping recordings on the same channel?

Last edited:
Never had previously tried to set-up multiple simultaneous recordings of a single channel. I would have never thought that anyone would want to record the same channel at the same time using multiple timers.

Don't believe that it is possible within the ALI framework. Never have seen this on any STB. Any examples that we could test?

Why not extend the record time to cover multiple programs? If archiving, split up the recording into separate programs with third party software.

Never had previously tried to set-up multiple simultaneous recordings of a single channel. I would have never thought that anyone would want to record the same channel at the same time using multiple timers.

I understand where the OP is coming from. Both satellite providers have the option on their DVR to "pad" the timers set. The difference is with Dish if there is no tuner available it "hard cuts" at the end of the show while Directv can handle it fine

using the Micro as an example of what I mean above (since it can do 2 tuners)

Lets say you have one timer on 3ABN from 7-8 with a 1 min before/1 min after buffer (so from 6:59-8:01)
You have another timer on Hope Channel also from 7-8 (so 6:59-8:01)
Now you want to record the next program on 3ABN after that (so from 7:59-8:31)

Dish DVR's will cut out the 1 min before 1 min after since both tuners are taken. So show 1 on 3ABN is from 6:59-8:00 and show 2 is 8:00-8:31
Directv DVR's record the overlap so for 2 minutes you technically can record 3 shows at once

Believe me...I have the 5 tuner DVR and some nights it "looks" like its recording 8 things at once because of the overlap.

Unless the time on the Micro is correct and the programming starts at the right time an overlap is almost a necessity. With shows now-a-days not going to commercial for a minute or so between shows (and some shows running over) its hard to have it record properly

I understand the request and the benefit, but also understand the limitations of the ALI timers. The logic simply looks at the PMT and compares the start stop times. Not as well developed as the subscription based STBs.

Another option might be to create duplicate channels on the target transponder using a PC channel editor and set the SIDs to different and unused SIDs. The STB possibly would recognize the duplicates as different channels and allow an overlapping timer. Never have tested this suggestion, so don't know if this would actually work. Might be worth experimenting if this is a necessary function.

Let us know if it works!

The situation is that the normal recording timer already setup happens Monday to Friday each week (I change the date on Friday to prevent recording on Saturday and Sunday...too bad the ALI package is so limited on setting timers) and the timer starts early and ends late to prevent clipping the start or end of the show. the clocks almost never lineup correctly with the start or end exactly. Now there is one occasion where I want to record a single show that airs imediately after my weekly timer. To set one new timer and not adjust the other timer would of made it very simple, and that extra timer would of disappeared after it finished.

Why not extend the record time to cover multiple programs? If archiving, split up the recording into separate programs with third party software.
This is what I will do. It would of been much easier to just set one more timer, but now I must extend the timer for that one day and then set it back to its original setting afterwards. Not a huge problem, I now what must be done now, but just a few more steps than setting one more timer.

Don't believe that it is possible within the ALI framework.
Too bad as overlaping timer and the Monday to Friday option was overlooked.

If suggesting to ALI how to improve the timers, it would be great if you could have overlaping timers and a selection to check which days of the week you want to record along with a box for re-occuring.
something like:

MONDAY [ ] TUESDAY [ ] WEDNESDAY [ ] THURSDAY [ ] FRIDAY [ ] SATURDAY [ ] SUNDAY [ ] REPEATING [ ]

And you check what days of the week you want to record. Not checking the repeating box would be one of each day you checked.

Thank You....Larry

I understand the request and the benefit, but also understand the limitations of the ALI timers. The logic simply looks at the PMT and compares the start stop times. Not as well developed as the subscription based STBs.

Another option might be to create duplicate channels on the target transponder using a PC channel editor and set the SIDs to different and unused SIDs. The STB possibly would recognize the duplicates as different channels and allow an overlapping timer. Never have tested this suggestion, so don't know if this would actually work. Might be worth experimenting if this is a necessary function.

Let us know if it works!

Sounds interesting. I will try this hopefully on the weekend when time allows. Hopefully, an interesting way around the ALI limitations.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Well I was unsuccessful in trying to add a second channel. With the ALIeditor, I added a new channel with all the same parameters but with an unused SID. When this was loaded into the microHD, the box went into a continuous reboot cycle. I had to reload my previous UDF file after building a serial cable for the box. (the connector is the same as used on some old cd-rom audio cables) When MediaBox Editor Studio was used, my original and new channel both came up with no picture. (did not check to see if I had audio or not) With MediaBox Editor I did import my UDF file, edited an unused channel and Exported back to a UDF file.
It would be nice if the microHD had a feature where you could short two pins and it would load the default UDF file on boot. It would save having to connect the serial cable and running the ALIeditor to reset from a bad user database file.

Last edited:

Let us know if it works!

Has anyone else tried this? I have been unable to get a duplicate channel with a different SID to operate. Might just be the way I am adding the channel.

P.S. Highlighted the might as it is not confirmed that this will, or will not work. Wanted more input from others trying this before making a conclusion.

Yes it works as I had guessed.

Had time today to experiment with programming 3 COOL TV channels using 3 different SIDs. The DVR recognized each channel as a different channel and was able record overlapping timers of the same programming from any combination of the three.

Used both channel editors to test the generation of an .udf file. Both files worked fine.

Well, that's a step up from DishNet (according to Iceberg) and the HDhomeRun OTA dual tuner under Vista media center! :)

I don't keep & edit my OTA/FTA recordings any more, so it's not the problem it once was.
Now I just make sure I watch the shows in the order they were televised.
That way, I miss only a few seconds, at most. :up

Thanks for the work-around, Brian. ;)

Yes it works as I had guessed.
Used both channel editors to test the generation of an .udf file. Both files worked fine.

Please try using the attached udf channel list as I have been unable to get either editor to edit the file properly. Media Box Editor appears to change the encoding while exporting. I import my channel list in GSP microHD mode, copy my channel (and change the SID) and export The channel list in GSP microHD mode plays on the TV with black video. (i.e. black screen with audio) When this file is loaded back in again, MPG is changed to MP4.

Adding a new channel with ALiEditor corrupts the channel list and causes the box to keep re-booting. I did change the box type in the ini to M3601s as well as the path to the ini file.
With both programs, I am loading the file via a USB stick. The channel I am trying to duplicate is COZI TV on 103w

Last edited by a moderator:
I downloaded your .udf, and opened with the ALI Editor.

Deleted all channels but COZI TV, Added COZI twice and saved with no corruption. Loads to the microHD without issue and displays the 3 Cozi Channels SID1, SID2, SID3.

Isn't Cozi h264? Don't have 103w KU at home so cannot test. Try attached .udf file.

How do you save the ALI Editor .uhf file? You should be simply pulling down File and clicking "Save". See photo.

ALI_Example.jpg

Attachments

• larry1.udf
    1.6 MB · Views: 125
Thank You Brian for editing that file for me. With this file you edited for me, the 3 channels give audio and a black screen. (for reference, I am connected to my TV via the RCA cables and not the HDMI connection)
When I look at the original file that works (as posted previously) it lists the video as MPEG2. (see pic)
ORIGINALnoEDIT.JPG
That was why I was trying to set the video to MPEG2. When I edit either file (the new file from you or my original file) to set the video to MPEG2, the box goes into the rebooting cycle. Yes pulling down File and clicking "Save".
When the original file is loaded into MediaBoxEditor, it also lists the video as MPG. (see pic)
MBE.JPG
But if the channel is copied with MBE, it changes this setting when the data is exported to GSP microHD udf file.

Please consider for a future firmware release to have a routine to bring up a screen to allow you to reset your User database with the default database if the default database is corrupt instead of just going into a reboot cycle. (and needing to use the serial cable to reset)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts