New Features coming to BD in October!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/03/2...-a-new-standard-set-of-features-this-october/

This is about 1 year late but I believe that once this happens those players that can be updated (like the PS3 for one) will provide BD consumers with the same ablilities that the HD-DVD players have been able to provide in IHD.

I also know that Disney has announced that the new BD Pirate movies will support BD-J and have several features enabled. Does this mean that those players that can support or be upgraded to BD-J will happen before October?

We shall see!!:hungry:

Read again.

"Currently these features aren't required and picture-in-picture support isn't in the PlayStation 3"

The PS3 is screwed, no PiP for it. So much for the best BR player out there. It will be obsolete Oct 31 2007. Glad I spent $500 on it. Woo-hoo.

Crap like this really pisses me off. No way the PS3 should be obsolete in less than a year!

-John

Ah, jgantert I believe that while you are right you are mistaken. With HDMI 1.3 and BD-Java support ( a download is all that is required for the PS3) the PS3 would be able to provide you picture in picture. Acutally, I might need to be corrected but I believe that BD-Java will support split screen and that this is how the PS3 will provide this feature. I believe that HDMI 1.3 allows for one picture to be overlayed ontop of another -- in a sense this is the same as picture in picture and the PS3 is capable of using HDMI 1.3 to its fullest with the right software installed. I am not a rocket scientest but come October or maybe sooner we will find out.

I thought the player had to have two video processors to support PiP (simular to current TVs require 2 tuners to support native PiP).

I guess we will find out in October. Still iritates me, as the PS3 should have been designed with this in mind, as the lifespan of the PS3 should be 5 years atleast.

I hold no grudge about 1st gen BD players not supporting it. That's what you get when you buy 1G of anything. Somehow, I guess I just made the mistake of not correlating PS3 as a 1G player. Oh well.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)