New Features!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
We have done it again!

Based on your feedback received from you in emails, privated messages and postings in our forums we have added some new features and improved some others.

We heard you when you said when you clicked on FORUM that you didn't like the column on the left had side with the ad for the store and the last 5 posts. That column is now gone. :)

We heard you when you said you wanted us to make it easier to find new posts since your last visit! We have moved the "Display topics from previous" to the top of the thread listings, plus on the main forums listings page there is a new option to view all posts from X days!

Also to spice up things we have added some new news feed service to SatelliteGuys! These news services will bring the latest satellite news home to you here at SatelliteGuys! Postings from these news services will come from username Yahoo News and NewsFeed. Any suggestions on this service are appreciated!

Once again we are here for YOU! So have an idea? Share it! At SatelliteGuys we listen to YOU!

How about a search of the unread posts in satellite areas only? One of the reason I like this site over the "other" site is that you do not have to wade through tons of "misc" posts. I want satellite information not junk news. Now it looks like the junk news is piling up here too.

A link on the front page to new satellite posts would be much appreciated leaving out forums like the comedy club, political talk, etc.

I don't know if that is possible, however on the main page I can remove the non satellite areas from displaying in the last 5 posts (and there are arrorws on the bottom so you can go down and see the last 5 before that and so on) :D

While I agree with you that some forums may contain non satellite news or posts we must remember that one mans junk, is another mans treasure. :)

Our goal is to cater to all here. :)

The automated news feed is getting out of control, I just came back to the site and 1/2 the posts were posted by the autonews feed. If I wanted to see this I would go to yahoo.

I guess it comes down to what is the purpose of this site? Is it to be a general new information, debate site? Or is it to be where the latest SATELLITE news is to be found?

The noise on the boards has doubled...

Ok more analysis:

DirecTV Jitters fade at Tivo - Ok this probably a good fit for the board... But, there is not even a synopsis, just a link.... who knows it could be last week's news (which a lot of this stuff is)

Microsoft readies datebase add-on...

Linux inches up corporate IT priority list...

Why VoIP resists bureaucracy

My (brief) career as an ISP...

IBM, Cisco push data center standard

Sirius commemorates anniversary of Matthew Shepard's death... maybe slight fit

Vetern Liberal Talk Show Host Lynn Samuels Joins &I

Loral rejects second acquisition bid from Echostar... Widely reported YESTERDAY

It is filling the board up with just trash... Articles not even remotely related to satellite news, and old news that a weekly/monthly publication finally manages to get an article out about.

"We heard you when you said when you clicked on FORUM that you didn't like the column on the left had side with the ad for the store and the last 5 posts. That column is now gone."

UGH!!!!!!!! I liked that!

That is still on the main page.

As far as the news feeds go, the descriptons are put in by the authors most have a good description while a few have had none.

Once the initial download is done then new news will come in (some of todays news was indeed a few days old but we need to accept the backlog in order to get the new stuff)

The other thread may not be satellite related but they are being posted in their correct areas (Satellite Radio, Computers and Comedy) :)

I really think that there needs to be one NEWS area where ALL news stories would be posted. I think posting stories in a lot of forums "breaks up" the flow of the board.

I have a problem with the "automated news feed" too. It sure has a lot of non satellite related stuff and as Mike123 said "if I wanted to see this I would go to yahoo".

Bill R said:
I really think that there needs to be one NEWS area where ALL news stories would be posted. I think posting stories in a lot of forums "breaks up" the flow of the board.
Agreed....

Agreed...

Please either make it a separate forum, perhaps under a different heading.

As an alternative, you could consider removing the those news posts from the forum altogether. In their place, you could add a column to the main page that includes links to the last five new articles. Below the article title, you could have a small "discuss this" link that would allow members to easily create a discussion topic on a particular article (i.e. initial message would include appropriate title and the link in a quote). All subsequent user clicks on this "discuss this" link could direct users to the appropriate discussion thread.

I also agree that there needs to be a seperate forum for news IF they are posts that are made for having a link and not so much a discussion. Perhaps one could go further with this by having Dish News, DirecTv News, etc.

You guys are not understanding that the news posts are not going into the satellite areas, therefore none of the flow is getting broken up there.

Again automated posts are only going to Computer, Comedy, XM and Sirius area. :)

Scott, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, I see three newsfeeds in the General Satellite Forum. If this is what some do not like, I agree with them, would like to see newsfeeds in their own forum.

Those 3 post were done yesterday as a test (I was setting up the feeds)

No more posts should be going to the general area. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
You guys are not understanding that the news posts are not going into the satellite areas, therefore none of the flow is getting broken up there.
Actually the part that made it weird for me was they show up in the new posts list. I saw all these non Sat threads and I thought I was back at the other forum.

Perhaps people should be given the option to choose what forums you would not like to be brought up on a new post search or any other search to prevent this problem among other problems when people are trying to find information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)