New Firefox - Dish Anywhere broken

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Here we go again...

When I updated Firefox to version 43.0.1 Dish Anywhere stopped working. There was a temporary fix posted to use Firefox's 'about:config' settings to change the 'xpinstall.signatures.required' setting to false. That worked well until now.

Firefox has just updated to 43.0.4, and now Dish Anywhere does not work, even when you use the temporary fix. Now, when I try to play a video, I it crashes and reports: 'the slingplayer web plug-in has crashed'.

Does anyone know a way to get v43.0.4 working with Dish Anywhere?

It still works fine with IE11.

I just noticed that the Firefox Slingplayer plug-in was updated on 01-09-2016. It is version 2.4.0.157. That date corresponds to when I started to have trouble with it. I thought that the Firefox update to 43.0.4 was the problem, but looks like the Slingplayer update might be the cause?

In the Slingplayer Extension description for v2.4.0.157, it lists the compatible slingboxes and Dish Network is not on the list (all of the slingboxes are). Do I have the correct version, or did Firefox install the wrong plug-in and extension?

The problem was that Firefox had somehow automatically updated the Slingplayer plug-in to v2.4.0.157. I followed Mitchell Siegal's suggestion and uninstalled and re-installed the plug-in. Firefox installed v2.4.0.152 which is now working correctly.

I think that when Firefox updated to v43.0.4, it also updated the Slingplayer plug-in to v2.4.0.157 (which was not compatible). Re-installing the plug-in restored the correct version (v2.4.0.152).

Reactions: TheKrell
The problem was that Firefox had somehow automatically updated the Slingplayer plug-in to v2.4.0.157. I followed Mitchell Siegal's suggestion and uninstalled and re-installed the plug-in. Firefox installed v2.4.0.152 which is now working correctly.

I think that when Firefox updated to v43.0.4, it also updated the Slingplayer plug-in to v2.4.0.157 (which was not compatible). Re-installing the plug-in restored the correct version (v2.4.0.152).
How did you go about uninstalling the plug-in? The only option I can find is just deactivate.

Also, letting both Dish and Firefox (Mozilla?) know about this problem would also bring a fix to the many many more who haven't the least knowledge of computers so that both the Sling Player and Dish Anywhere will function and load as they are supposed to without any required work-arounds. DISH and SLING, you should be on the horn to Mozilla about this. The issue is that both Sling and Dish probably access some location or other "personal" data that the latest Firefox is trying to prevent easy access to by those we don't grant permission to. We are going to see more of in the coming times from just about all desktop and mobile browsers.

How did you go about uninstalling the plug-in? The only option I can find is just deactivate.
Select: Tools->Add-ons->Extensions->WebSlingPlayer->Remove.

Warning! When I re-installed the plug-in, it was v2.4.0.152, however, the next time that I started Firefox, it automatically updated to v2.4.0.157 (which did not work). I had to go thru the uninstall/re-install procedure again. This time, I set the Slingplayer plug-in to NOT automatically update. Now, things seem to be working OK.

To turn off automatic updates: Tools->Add-ons->Extensions->WebSlingPlayer->More. Then at the bottom of the page, set Automatic Updates to: OFF.

Select: Tools->Add-ons->Extensions->WebSlingPlayer->Remove.

Warning! When I re-installed the plug-in, it was v2.4.0.152, however, the next time that I started Firefox, it automatically updated to v2.4.0.157 (which did not work). I had to go thru the uninstall/re-install procedure again. This time, I set the Slingplayer plug-in to NOT automatically update. Now, things seem to be working OK.

To turn off automatic updates: Tools->Add-ons->Extensions->WebSlingPlayer->More. Then at the bottom of the page, set Automatic Updates to: OFF.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the plug-in but it only re-installed v2.4.0.157. v2.4.0.152 is not available anywhere. Uninstalling and re-installing FF resulted the same.

There are only 2 ways to re-install the plug-in I am aware of. One way is through the Dish Anywhere. This route fails the installation for "corrupt file" from dishanywhere.com. I believe this must be an older plug-in version but is not allowed by Firefox. The second is through the search engine on the add-ons page, which only has v2.4.0.157 listed. Installing this version is a fly, but again is the same issue all over. Any idea?

I think that when I uninstalled/re-installed, the default was v2.4.0.152. The newer version had just been released, but it was not installed as the default. Now that it is 5 days later, Firefox is installing the newer version by default. I don't know of any way to get an older plug-in.

Have you tried the temporary fix? Use Firefox's 'about:config' settings to change the 'xpinstall.signatures.required' setting to 'false' (type: "about:config" into Firefox's address bar, continue past the 'this may void your warranty' prompt, search for 'xpinstall.signatures.required', change the value to False, exit, and restart Firefox). This should allow you to install the plug-in (and not get the corrupt file error). Maybe v2.4.0.157 will work in your system. It did not work for me.

I think that when I uninstalled/re-installed, the default was v2.4.0.152. The newer version had just been released, but it was not installed as the default. Now that it is 5 days later, Firefox is installing the newer version by default. I don't know of any way to get an older plug-in.

Have you tried the temporary fix? Use Firefox's 'about:config' settings to change the 'xpinstall.signatures.required' setting to 'false' (type: "about:config" into Firefox's address bar, continue past the 'this may void your warranty' prompt, search for 'xpinstall.signatures.required', change the value to False, exit, and restart Firefox). This should allow you to install the plug-in (and not get the corrupt file error). Maybe v2.4.0.157 will work in your system. It did not work for me.

Circumvented the installation per the latter instruction by turning off the required digital signatures and installing from dishanywhere. This now works. And like you said earlier, the automatic plug-in updates must be turned off. Thanks.

On a side note, I'm experimenting with Chrome and it works pretty fluid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)