New firmware patch released- Azbox-0.9.5307-patch (04-07-2011)

If you have customized your satellite list or North Americanized it make sure you have your list backed up on your pc.
I had been in contact with OpenSat on one of the problems causing the sat/channel list corruption and this may have fixed that but it may also overwrite your existing sat list in the receiver.
If it is what I think it is and anyone tests it out see if they have the Eastern sats back in the receiver and then take a look at 169.1E Intelsat 2 to see if they fixed it and put a transponder on that satellite. If they did then this may fix the corruption many people experienced with their channel lists.

AZBox Snapshots Mirror Site

Azbox Snapshot Direct Download site

AZBox Snapshots Direct Download site

I just loaded the firmware on one of my azbox's here.
There is no 169.1E Intelsat 2 satellite listed anymore.
They have also gone through and renamed the satellites to the correct names.
Now granted I have just loaded the firmware and reformatted the application area and only done a very quick look see but here they have transponders on each satellite that is now in the receiver.

I am just now putting in a channel list before I continue looking so I can get rid of the no channel list loaded box.

However this firmware is quite different then some others as OpenSat is saying you MUST reformat the application area. This means you will have to redo all the settings in the receiver over again.

After this update is done properly there will be in the AzBox:
87 Eastern Satellites > all having at least 1 transponder on them::
68 Western Satellites > corrected names all having at least 1 transponder on them.

c & ku are not separated.

However, if you do a blind-scan on some satellites please be aware that some of the transponder info may not be up to date. That means you should delete all but one transponder before doing a blind scan on a satellite.
This will ensure you have the FTA programming you had before.

If you had already North Americanized your list and set it properly in the receiver so it resides in the backup directory as well then you can reload your list if it suits.

I like the idea that the names have been changed to the proper ones, and the offending satellites causing problems were completely removed.
I tried recording some high bitrate signals and while there was still some breakups it was noticeably better then before using the former update.

This was done by downloading the firmware upgrade from the internet to the computer and copying it to a USB stick.
(this process the upgrade was actually done twice since the first time the menu screen did not show up allowing me to format the application area.)
However this may or may not happen to everyone so here is what was done.

I believe if you just make sure the firmware is named patch.bin and put it in the rear usb port of the receiver and reboot you should have the menu screen appear right off allowing you to format the application area.

Installed the firmware via USB drive.
When receiver rebooted new firmware was in receiver.
Originally the firmware on the usb was named
azbox-0.9.5307-patch.bin

After the update pulled out the USB stick and put in the pc and renamed it to:
patch.bin and deleted the 2 folders it had created on the USB stick.
Put the stick back in the Azbox, ( In the back of the receiver), and rebooted.

This time the menu screen came up on the Azbox allowing me to format the application area.
The blue box appeared
“found patch files in USB Storage?
Do you want to upgrade?
1. USB
2. NETWORK
3. OTA
4. Format application area
5. Boot without update

This time you want to arrow down to number 4
Format Application Area.

Press ok and the menu will come up telling you to press OK to start formatting

Do not turn off the receiver during any of this process!

Follow the menu screens.

When done formatting which takes only about 30 seconds the menu will
Tell you to press the EXIT key to return menu.

Now arrow to number 1 to update the receiver.

When finished updating the receiver will reboot back to the same menu screen shown above, this time arrow down to number 5, BOOT WITHOUT UPDATE,
When the receiver finishes rebooting pull out the USB stick.

The receiver will default back to PAL format so you will need to follow these steps.

Here are the directions for bringing the Azbox from Pal (default format) to NTSC.

If your receiver defaults to pal format
to changed the setting in the Menu from PAL, back to NTSC

You need to do the following steps using the remote keypad.
1) Reboot the receiver by the switch on the back of the unit.
After it powers up and you see the menu rolling, follow these steps:

2) Down Arrow 6 Times

3) Press the OK button

4) Right Arrow 1 Time

5) Down Arrow 1 Time

6) Right Arrow 1 Time

You will now have changed the setting in the Menu from PAL, back to NTSC.

7) The receiver will ask you if you want to save your change and Press YES.

======================================================
Now you’re in the NTSC mode and you should have a picture on your TV.
You need to be careful while in these menu screens. If you make a change that you are not aware of you can change the settings that will take affect after you power off the receiver and will have to come back in and re-do the settings. Take your time!

All the settings will now have to be redone in the Azbox.
This is where you want to get out the Azbox users Guide to follow the directions if you are not used to it.

Find the AzBox User Guide in the Sticky section here for that pdf file for more directions on resetting your receiver.

Thanks Stargaze!Do you know if the issue with the DiSEqC 1.2 was adressed in this latest firmware?

I don't know as my azbox is slaved to another dish moving receiver.

One of my main concerns was with the new receivers coming out that it would not have the same problem with the satellite/channel list corruption.
After a few exchanges of e-mail with OpenSat they sent my findings to their technical department to re-work it. It appears they took it a few extra steps forward and did much more then I had expected them to do.

Since I do not use the AzBox to move the dish I can not say what is going on with that.
When/ if anyone can come up with a solution then this should be sent to OpenSat to see if they can make the corrections.
They do respond very quickly to those who are trying to figure out ways to make improvements on what they have already.

Please refrain from updating to 0.9.5307 at this time as the satellite list has a few issues such as missing names for 78W and 42E, Hispasat 1E @ 25.5W which does not exist and C & Ku band satellites are not separated. I am currently doing a updated list with all of these issues resolved which should be included in the next firmware release.

Regards,

pwrsurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited:
Please refrain from updating to 0.9.5307 at this time as the satellite list has a few issues such as missing names for 78W and 42E, Hispasat 1E @ 25.5W which does not exist and C & Ku band satellites are not separated. I am currently doing a updated list with all of these issues resolved which should be included in the next firmware release.

Regards,

pwrsurge
AzBox Canada

pwrsurge.

In the 0.9.5307 firmware it has in it....
30.0W lists Hispasat 1C,D& E
also see Hispasat 1E at 25.5W in the firmware satellites.
(don't know where this came from as I thought this was located at 30.0W)

78 W Simon Bolivar is missing.
Would be really great to see the satellites separated for C & ku.

Noticed several transponder info is incorrect on AMC-3 and Galaxy 19 but overall it is a nicer satellite list then the previous one.

I updated to 5307 last night, but did not Format the Application Area (preferred to keep the satellite list I use). The new firmware did not change my current list (in DISK2), but did (as has occurred with most of the updates) change the copy in DISK1/DISK2_backup, which I promptly replaced. YMMV.

pwrsurge.

In the 0.9.5307 firmware it has in it....
30.0W lists Hispasat 1C,D& E
also see Hispasat 1E at 25.5W in the firmware satellites.
(don't know where this came from as I thought this was located at 30.0W)

78 W Simon Bolivar is missing.
Would be really great to see the satellites separated for C & ku.

Noticed several transponder info is incorrect on AMC-3 and Galaxy 19 but overall it is a nicer satellite list then the previous one.

These issues will be resolved when 0.9.5308 is released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)