New Free Listen May 19-Jun 1

Bobby

Publican
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
Got a snail mailer today and there is a free listen, 60 channels, May 19 to Jun 1. There is also an offer in it for 5 months for $20....

In the link below you may find the list for those 60 channels.

The Pitbull channel will be launched on May 19, and there´s another new channel listed.

The list looks about the same 60 channels they´ve opened in the past with some slight variations.

No Watercolors, no BBC News this time. (I guess I won´t be able to record some smooth jazz this time :mad:)

Note the following disclaimer on the siriusxm page.

Some older Sirius satellite radios may not be capable of receiving the free listening channels.)

http://www.siriusxm.com/sxmlp215?sxmlpId=listen5

The Pitbull channel will be launched on May 19...

I was channel surfing and ran across this channel already on 4. Or did they simply change the text? It didn't sound like the old 40's on 4...

There is a fairly long promo loop playing on channel 4, promoting Pitbull and occasionally mentioning where the 40s programming went. The telling thing for me is all the promos are generic and refer to "Pitbull coming up on THIS CHANNEL" - stay tuned to "this channel for Pitbull's live concert on May 19."
A couple possibilities:
*SXM is just giving up (?)
*The people in programming don't talk to the channel lineup department so didn't know the channel number when doing voiceovers, and apparently couldn't be bothered to update them when they did find out.
*Maybe they were having a real debate about where to put this channel? It could easily have landed on 149, the former home of La Mezcla, but would have also fit into the Dance category.
*They could even have planned to initially put it in the 500s / only on SXM 2.0 and online?

I also agree with others' comments that it'll be interesting to see how this channel affects Venus one way or another. How many kinds of Top 40 do we need?

Reactions: TheKrell
I read the channel will launch at 7 PM with a live concert from the Apollo Theater.

And then it sounds like this Pitbull channel will be all Pitbull, only Pitbull songs, all the time.

A channel fully dedicated to just one singer ?

I don´t currently subscribe so I don´t know if there´s anything similar.

But I haven´t found or I don´t remember any audio/music channel dedicated to only one singer 24/7.

Free listen is on.

Pitbull ch is on ch 4.

I found the 40´s channel now on ch 73 on my xm radio

Sadly for me, no free listen on Watercolors this time.

I think they should go back to the old XM free listen system, where various channels were available for free, but on a rotating basis, so that anyone who hasn't subscribed will have to change the channel frequently to stay on a free one. Of course SXM wouldn't do it because Sirius radios wouldn't support this technique.

I fail to see why the rotating free channel method wouldn't work on Sirius radios too. After all, their barker channel is always on. Are they limited to controlling access to large packages of channels and not one at a time? If so, that's a stupid way to design the system!

In my case the channels on the free listen, don´t move me to sub again.

When I was subbed I used to like the old time radio channel, but I don´t think that one is still there.

I like smooth jazz but I can get that in many ways other than through xmsirus.

No free listen for me. Besides, it looks like my radio might be dead. Look at the top right in pic 1.

Rotates between these two pictures, sometimes saying "upload." But I'd guess 5-10 mins is as long as I let it run.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1432399401.605780.jpg
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1432399422.490331.jpg

Sirius radios (particularly older units) have problems with signal authorization. Even if they want to to turn on or off one channel, or rename a channel, my understanding is they have to send a signal to completely rebuild the package that each radio is authorized to get. With XM, individual channels can be turned on and off immediately and it does not require reprogramming/downloading code to the whole radio. Note how many of the FAQs for a channel lineup change refer to various problems with Sirius radios: https://www.siriusxm.com/channelupdate/faqs

It was still free today---at least for me. I expect it to end soom/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts