New gear - how long before I install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

How Long Until I Install my Motor?

• 1-5 days

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • 2 Weeks

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Spring

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Summer

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I forgot to add, I mainly watch FTA - RTN so I don't really care whats on tv - but gotta have it for my daughter - Disney, Nick, etc. If we didn't have that I would catch flack!

We have Cox in the New Orleans area. I have broadband internet through them as well as analog cable (needed to keep the internet service), but I have stayed clear of cable telephone due to a lesson learned during Katrina: If you lose power, you lose phone service. I know that most people now use powered phones anyway, but with old-fashioned twisted pair landlines from a telco central office, you can hook a line-powered phone to the line and it gets its power from the central office. Provided the cable between your home and the central office is intact, you will still have phone service even if your electricity is out.

Sorry, got just a little off topic there :rolleyes: IaFire, you'll have your stuff installed in no time! I'm the one with the procrastination problem :)

...If you lose power, you lose phone service...
That may or may not be true with most cable services. Our company that does Phone/Internet/TV over fiber will not go down (immediately) just because of a power outage. In addition to installing the NID on the outside of the house, we install the router inside the house and connect the NID and essential equipment to a small UPS which will power your phone lines for a minimum of 10 hours after the power goes out.

I will have all essential gear on a battery back up. We do not use a landline much at all. But that is a good point to remember :)

I got the receiver working right - for now. I shut the power off to the unit for a bit and then turned it back on - all is good. If it acts up again, I am just going to shelf it. The customer support from DMSI was not the greatest. I explained the problem and the reply I got was " You have the receiver set in PAL mode." Ok, I explained it again - I was watching a program and all was fine (color, etc) After about 30 minutes, it slowly changed from color to grey, then total B&W. Then after a few more it went to a rolling screen. - All the while the receiver settings had not changed and it showed NTSC mode. So they sent me an RA but in big red letters warned me that if they don't find anything wrong there would be a $25 fee plus shipping. I can see the shipping, but the fee is not a good thing. They wanted to not help me and dump the problem on the dealer I bought it from. So, if this unit acts up again, I am not going to give anymore money to DMSI. Obvisouly there was a glitch, and if it happens again, the unit will not have power while in transit and when it arrives to them it would work fine - then they charge me $25 + shipping. No thanks. LAST DMSI product I will buy - no matter how well liked the product is. OK, sorry had to vent :)

Last edited:
OK - cancel the poll - the motor is installed! I snuck out of work and got the motor taken care of today :) It was 36 heavy fog/mist. All is good :)

Boy, I am sure glad I got the motor up! We got about 6" of snow, and 40 mph winds - sub zero windchills - Would not want to set itup in these conditions :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts