New Girl here! Question about Old satellite dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nikky777

Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
california
Hi everyone! :) I am buying a house built in 1982. In the backyard is one of those ENORMOUS white satellite dishes from back then (I guess). There are some wires coming from it, but not connected to anything. (This is in a very rural location.) Do you think there is a way to find out if it still works? I would LOVE to hook up my big-screen TV and see if I could get some tv programs, instead of having to subscribe to DishNet or other satellite companies. Is this possible? :confused: Thanks for any and all advice...as you can probably tell, I know NOTHING about satellite technology.

moved to C-Band location

What you have there is a C-Band dish and it might still work. Do you know if there is a receievr for it?

I doubt it....there is nothing electronic in the house, and like I said, the dish has some wires coming out of it, that's all. Could I potentially get wireless (or not) INTERNET service from this dish? Or just TV channels? :confused:

pictures of the dish would be great

there is a hobby side to FTA and also a subscription side with a 4dtv receiver

most of us will tell you the picture quality from a c-band dish is usually higher than with the small dish services.

so take some pictures make up a list of questions and learn about old c-band :)

Yay!! I'm so excited to think about the possibilities of this dish. :D I have one pic here . Sorry it's kinda far away....what do you think? (click on the thumbnail and you can see it pretty good)

Attachments

• dish.JPG
    dish.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 454
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Nikki - good picture.
Now, get us some more from various angles, the front, the back, etc.
Take a look at the hardware on the back side of the dish, and look for heavy rust.
Moderate rust is probably okay.
Look especially at the motor and get pictures of it. - that's what'll move the dish from east to west.

How large is the dish?
I'm guessing 6', but those should be 8' or 10', more often.
Eight feet would be dandy.

The cover on the feedhorn on the front side of the dish could be removed and more pictures taken.
But if you do, be warned there might be wasp nests inside, so proceed with caution.

Basically, I'd say you have a dandy dish there.
It can most likely be put back into service.
Which service and for what sorts of programming, well, that's up to you.

If you have a clue what sort of programming would appeal to you, please share.
- east coast network?
- religious programming?
- PBS ?
- sporting events (wild feeds) ?
- foreign language programming (often with news in English) ?
All the above can be had for free.
For HBO and such, then we'd direct you to a 4DTV receiver, and a subscription service.

As we get more info, the members here can guide you with more specific suggestions.

I will try to get some more detailed pictures this weekend and post them early next week. As far as programming, just the basic broadcast channels (ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,PBS) and maybe Animal Planet if I'm feeling greedy! :p and I wouldn't say no to anything 'extra'.(movies, etc)
So what about Internet? Could something be done with the dish for Internet? Or is that a whole different animal? :confused:

I will try to get some more detailed pictures this weekend and post them early next week. As far as programming, just the basic broadcast channels (ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,PBS) and maybe Animal Planet if I'm feeling greedy! :p and I wouldn't say no to anything 'extra'.(movies, etc)
So what about Internet? Could something be done with the dish for Internet? Or is that a whole different animal? :confused:

With that dish, properly set up with a C-Band LNB (which it probably already has) and a Ku LNB you'd be able to get the basics ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,PBS with a Free to Air receiver and then some! Unfortunately not Animal Planet, that is a pay only channel. But once set up there is a LOT of good TV to be had for free.
If you've got some tools there's more than enough knowledge available at this site to talk/write you through it all. As previously requested, more pictures of some of the details of the dish would certainly help.

you can pick up a used fta receiver from ebay for around 50 dollars and get nbc, cbs, fox, abc, cw (all east time), and nbc (mountian time). You wouldn't have to worry about moving the dish... except for the first time which can be done by hand. Those local channels are are on c-band which is the band your dish already can do and won't loose signal in rain.

You are in CA... there isn't many choices for pacific time locals.

have you tried OTA for you local tv digital / analog channels yet?

First off welcome to Satellite Guys:welcome

Network channels are available for free with a DVB receiver or pay with a 4DTV (digital) receiver. Animal Planet is also available with a 4DTV receiver as a subscription service. If your serious about putting time and effort (turning some wrenches etc) into getting the c band system (big dish) up and running it can be done. When done you will have access to the best picture quality with thousands of channels for the best price. All of us here at one time or another were new and didn't know much about it. I've been interested in satellite tv since 1979 and have had a system since 1987 and wouldn't give it up for the world. I learned mostly by hands on experience and can do it in my sleep now.

Like the other guys said take some closeup pictures to see if any of the hardware besides the dish can be reused. Then we can give you a more detailed assessment on what road to take.

I haven't seen where anyone answered your question on the internet, The answer to that is NO!!!!. If you want internet by satellite then you have to go with either WildBlue or DirectV as your provider.
Watch what you buy from Ebay because of the large amount of cloned units, and check real carefully on any 4dtv receivers for a good ID and that the battery is still good.

Wow! I'm excited to try this out. I'm not in the house YET, but will be in January. I can get close-up pictures before then though...probably this weekend, and post them ASAP. At least then we can know what we are dealing with.:cool:
The dish is so huge, I feel like I could pick up signals from Mars! I will settle for terrestrial TV though.....;). I'll reply again to this thread as soon as I have the new photos. THANKS EVERYBODY!!!:D

All of us will help you here on this forum with any questions you may have. It's good to see another person interested in our hobby. I am FTA only. I have no subscription tv and am very happy with it. Between my over the air antenna with HD digital local networks and my big C and Ku dish it works great for me.

That looks from the pic to be a good dish. You may need a new actuator motor and you are going to need a positioner. A positioner can be an old analog C-band receiver or a V-box or G-box. If you buy your parts new you will pay a little more for them, but without subscription costs you will quickly get your money back if you are happy with FTA programming.

There are a lot of special interest channels, networks, sports, music on FTA.
A lot of international channels too. Picture quality on most is stunning even the non-HD stuff has better pics that most people with cable or small dish are used to seeing.

You will have to learn to do all your installation, configuring, trouble shooting yourself as there are not many people left who know how to work with c-band systems.
don't let the technical stuff scare you away. I am no rocket scientist and I can even do my own LOL.

Congrats on the dish. You may need a new updated more modern Lnb and feedhorn (depending on what is on the dish) - get us some pics of what is under that feedhorn cover.

worst case scenerio (me guessing site unseen)

New actuator motor 140.00
New lnb (ebay) 30.00
New coax 40.00
New actuator wire (I use thermostat wire 4-conductor from lowe's or home depot)50.00
analog receiver (ebay)50.00
FTA receiver (ebay) 50.00

assuming the dish is good and the mount is still good,
that should get you going - rough guessing.

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html will show some of what is up there. There is more up there than they show.
Some things on the site are out of date.
It does give you a good general idea however.

Did you say you were in the West? I am. I'm not that remote from the world except that I'm in a canyon and blocked from the city terrestrial broadcast signals.

There is a lot up there for big dish. A movie channel on 87 west, Natgeo and Fox news on 91 w . 97 and 99 west for networks 105, 121. 127 for Louisiana and RFD.

Big dish is great for us rurals. Last summer it was a wonder. Commercial free hidef movies, hidef sports and FX channels. Sports feeds. And no monthly bills!

Where are you in the west generally? If you're close, maybe I could help you out after you are in.

Where are you in the west generally? If you're close, maybe I could help you out after you are in.

From looking at that photo I would say up in the mountains near Bakersfield. ;) The PhaseIII dish should be centered on 110°, so the BUD seems to be pointed way West. Assuming the tree on the left (shadow at the bottom of the photo) isn't blocking 101° for DirecTV I would guess the nets on 99° should be ok, though the PhaseIII is slightly higher and further back. Also the reflection in the sliding glass door shows nice LOS off to the Southwest, but a larger tree (presumably the shadow caster) to the South/Southeast. Since it is a Phase III it would have been working sometime after 2002. I don't know how fast those trees grow in 6 years.

I don't see any sign of an OTA antenna on the house or the neighbor's place, though the trees are blocking the outbuilding to the left of the neighbor's place. I'm guessing it is too remote for easy OTA reception. Unless it wasn't remote and rabbit ears worked. :)

Anyway, I would say take a compass along and get a some photos on specific magnetic headings like 120°, 166°, 210°, all from as close to the dish as possible.

From looking at that photo I would say up in the mountains near Bakersfield. ;) The PhaseIII dish should be centered on 110°, so the BUD seems to be pointed way West. Assuming the tree on the left (shadow at the bottom of the photo) isn't blocking 101° for DirecTV I would guess the nets on 99° should be ok, though the PhaseIII is slightly higher and further back. Also the reflection in the sliding glass door shows nice LOS off to the Southwest, but a larger tree (presumably the shadow caster) to the South/Southeast. Since it is a Phase III it would have been working sometime after 2002. I don't know how fast those trees grow in 6 years.

I don't see any sign of an OTA antenna on the house or the neighbor's place, though the trees are blocking the outbuilding to the left of the neighbor's place. I'm guessing it is too remote for easy OTA reception. Unless it wasn't remote and rabbit ears worked. :)

Anyway, I would say take a compass along and get a some photos on specific magnetic headings like 120°, 166°, 210°, all from as close to the dish as possible.

Wow! you are quite the detective. All I got from the photo was 'Maybe California'

Yes Gillham, the mountains near Bakersfield is right...how did you know?? :cool: (I know how you know, that's why I had to delete that post)
OK, I took more pictures....check them out. AND, I spoke to an old-timer at Radio Shak and told him about the dish. His words? "Don't waste a dime putting any money into that thing. NO, your picture won't be any better, you'll be wasting your time and money". I guess he used to install those kinds of satellite dishes. He told me it's made of fiberglass (?). I knocked on it, and it seemed like some kind of metal to me, but I have NO clue. Well...check out the pics and tell me what you think! :p

Attachments

• dish 004.JPG
    dish 004.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 366
  • dish 006.JPG
    dish 006.JPG
    639.4 KB · Views: 335
  • dish 007.JPG
    dish 007.JPG
    876.3 KB · Views: 313
  • dish 008.JPG
    dish 008.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 304
  • dshc 009.JPG
    dshc 009.JPG
    408.9 KB · Views: 310
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts