New Girl here! Question about Old satellite dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I was thinking either G1 or G5

The reason I'm thinking G1 is look at how far the arm is extended... In the western US everything is backwards to what were use to here. If its from the late 80's early 90's G1 was king :) before G5 came along and became a popular cable bird.

For those of us who don't know the birds by their old names, and prefer the actual orbital location. - :rolleyes:

. . . hrmmmm... I don't see G5 called out on that list . . .

For those of us who don't know the birds by their old names, and prefer the actual orbital location. - :rolleyes:

. . . hrmmmm... I don't see G5 called out on that list . . .

You new generation bird watchers :eek: I wonder if I should talk about the old Comstar D1- D4 that should really blow your minds :p hahaha.... :D

Last edited:
Radio Shack... gripes...
They used to be a plethora of help for hobbyists.
Last time I went, I needed a null modem cable. Ding dong had NEVER heard of a null modem cable... "Uh... what kind of modem?"
After looking through all the cables I could find, I flipped through the hardware drawers to get DB9 connectors to make my own and headed to the counter when I saw '232C' out of the corner of my eye... they were stacked up amongst a bunch of other junk.
When I told tweedle-dee I found it he looked at it and said "Oh you wanted a 232C cable?"
Give me a break...
I don't ever ask anybody in Radio Shack for advice...

I will do my best to get the nose-cone off and take a bunch of pics. I will also try to measure how wide the dish is. You guys (and girls) really know your stuff!!

Radio Shack... gripes...
They used to be a plethora of help for hobbyists.
Last time I went, I needed a null modem cable. Ding dong had NEVER heard of a null modem cable... "Uh... what kind of modem?"
After looking through all the cables I could find, I flipped through the hardware drawers to get DB9 connectors to make my own and headed to the counter when I saw '232C' out of the corner of my eye... they were stacked up amongst a bunch of other junk.
When I told tweedle-dee I found it he looked at it and said "Oh you wanted a 232C cable?"
Give me a break...
I don't ever ask anybody in Radio Shack for advice...

You Got ANSWERS... They got QUESTIONS?????? That's Radio... I mean Cell Shack's real saying :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I will do my best to get the nose-cone off and take a bunch of pics. I will also try to measure how wide the dish is. You guys (and girls) really know your stuff!!

It's real simple, take the screws out and pull it off. It should all be plastic so you should have no problems with the screws being rusted tight.

You will see something like the pictures attached under there. If any of the labels are readable write down that information and post it here also along with the pictures. This will make assessing the electronics easier. Good luck and welcome to the world of Satellite Communications :)

Attachments

• feedhorn.gif
    feedhorn.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 8700d.jpg
    8700d.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Polorotor.jpg
    Polorotor.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Nah, It really is You got Questions, we got answers, but they will never match!
I was a customer when they were mail order, Allied Radio Stores.

That was back in the day when the store employees were mostly ham operators, and the Heathkit store was also on your short list of places to visit. Now if you need a LM317 voltage regulator of a 100uF Cap, it better be in your junk box.

That was back in the day when the store employees were mostly ham operators, and the Heathkit store was also on your short list of places to visit. Now if you need a LM317 voltage regulator of a 100uF Cap, it better be in your junk box.

Or order from someone like Mouser. Deal with them all the time.

I'm sure it is the holidays and she said that she hasn't moved into the house
so i bet she's making plans on moving into the new home and enjoying the family & holidays

I'm here! I will try to take the nose-cone off tomorrow (friday) and will take some pictures. Merry Christmas everybody!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Question about old satellite dish answered

Enjoyed reading replies to your post. I did a 12foot Paraclipse dish install in 2006 in Bakersfield
with a 4DTV receiver as a favor for Bob Cooper (who started it all). I only service C band. I have
100% C band (and Ku) parts and brand new wire, unfortunately not for free. You can buy Animal Planet for $3.75 a month (along with Discovery/TLC/Travel) or $35.25 a year. So you see C band subscriptions are much cheaper. That dish looks like a DH 2.5m (8foot) which is bare
minimum for C band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)