Official TV Watcher
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 7, 2006
up on the roof in SinCity
0x576 SW guide only in 480i

0x576 SW guide only in 480i

got this update this morning and now can not get any guide or recorded programs
from my older analog TV's unless the box is in 480i mode. this sucks since my modulator
with rg6 cable sends it to the bedroom and other parts of the house i have RF remotes
in these rooms now they can only change channels.
it displays " this TV or it's cables are not HD. to see screen graphics .press the RES key on the front of the receiver until this message no longer appears"

called DTV they say "we look into it". WHY do this fix it please.

boy this sucks Tony
plus this guide is dark gloomy even
and the format button on the remote will not move it out of 1080i mode
have been with DTV since the 1990s and i have not been this mad about anything
but I'm so ____ now i can't think straight
this is just stupid

just wondering why continue with a "old school, home-brew" setup if you want everything to work correctly as things must evolve for progress' sake

or am I missing what the issue is?

just wondering why continue with a "old school, home-brew" setup if you want everything to work correctly as things must evolve for progress' sake

or am I missing what the issue is?

Many people still have an SD TV in the house being fed from an HD receiver as a second output. Also many people use DVD recorders which must be fed an SD signal to record. It'll still work but inconveniently.

got a new fw update here in vegas early wed.
there was a update for switching to SD from HD by holding the exit button.
a bit better but still a pain.
this HDGUI still hate it too dark,the only improvement is moving from left and right.
the rest is slower. still have old guide on 1 dvr and it works better for everything but that.

There's an easy solution to this. Buy a component-to-composite converter (monoprice, $40 or so), connect it to the receiver and then connect the modulator to the converter. Voila! The receiver thinks it is driving a second HD box and so you can stay on HD all the time.
There are also HDMI to composite converters...

There's an easy solution to this. Buy a component-to-composite converter (monoprice, $40 or so), connect it to the receiver and then connect the modulator to the converter. Voila! The receiver thinks it is driving a second HD box and so you can stay on HD all the time.

And for everyone that has bought this solution up - what are you guys going to do if/when D* starts to implement HDCP on the component outputs...& those outputs simply shut OFF??? :eek:

I'm in a big quandry over this situation that D* has put me in, since I have MANY clients with (modulator) SD backfeeds to secondary TV's; they are NOT going to pay $6 to have to put a receiver on every set now! Sorry, but this REALLY is the stupidest idea D* has implemented - for very little benefit. Sorry, but even putting this situation asside, I really do NOT think this "improved" guide is all that & a bag of chips; all it really has done is slow down my ALREADY slow HR20's even MORE! :mad:

what are you guys going to do if/when
D* starts to implement HDCP on the component outputs...& those
outputs simply shut OFF??? :eek:
how could they do that !!
older tv's will not have a "handshake" to return.

not that i would buy a unit for this and feed it power forever .

I'm in a big quandry over this situation that D* has put me in,
since I have MANY clients with (modulator) SD backfeeds to
secondary TV's; they are NOT going to pay $6 to have to put
a receiver on every set now!
this holding down the exit button thing is much better now
that i have had it 2 days.
when going from SD to HD it remembers old setting of 1080 unaltered
that i prefer. before it was countless times hitting the format button.

Sorry, but this REALLY is the stupidest idea D* has implemented
- for very little benefit.

totally agree with that. been with them since 1997.

what are you guys going to do if/when
D* starts to implement HDCP on the component outputs...& those
outputs simply shut OFF??? :eek:

not that i would buy a unit for this and feed it power forever .

I'm in a big quandry over this situation that D* has put me in,
since I have MANY clients with (modulator) SD backfeeds to
secondary TV's; they are NOT going to pay $6 to have to put
a receiver on every set now!

Sorry, but this REALLY is the stupidest idea D* has implemented
- for very little benefit.

totally agree with that. been with them since 1997.

all it really has done is slow down my ALREADY slow HR20's even
MORE! :mad:

keep your hr20's if you use the RF remotes. the hr23 i have goes
only 20 feet or so and the hr20's are twice as far or more.

VERY easily - you DO realize that is EXACTLY what's happening with all new Blu-Ray players being made now - NO more component outputs! And, DISH Network is now testing HDCP on some HBO feeds as we speak, as well as on HD PPV. (search in the DISH forum for more info on this issue)
The whole reason being to prevent some pirate out there from possibly making an HD copy of a movie on an (unprotected) component output.

All of this means any HDTV's w/out an HDMI connection are SOL in these cases. (& assuming HDCP is turned on for these shows/channels, of course)

While right now there's not a problem with the component/composite solution NOW, who knows how long it'll be like this - could change in a couple months to a couple years. Either way, I really don't feel like spending $$$ for a fix, all to be for naught - & ALL due to D*'s "improvement". :rolleyes:

Yea, it's better...but if do this after you start playing back a DVR'd program, it kicks you out of your recorded show & back to live TV - yea, fricken geniuses at DirecTV there! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Didn't think they could shut off component outputs. Thought it was just limit component's resolution, which is what you want anyway since your going to connect an SDTV to it right?

I have 2 SDTV's at home but they have their own HD box set to 480i. With MRV they can still play stuff from the DVR that is hooked into the HDTV in the living room. All 3 TV's can watch different programming too.

Didn't think they could shut off component outputs.

They could do it EITHER way; bottom line is that as long as NO HDCP protected HD signals are coming out of those connections is all that matters.

Thought it was just limit component's resolution, which is what you want anyway since your going to connect an SDTV to it right?

NOT if you want to send the same signal to an HDTV AND an SDTV simultaneously - which is what I & many of my clients are doing all the time when we use our (SD) modulated backfeeds to secondary TV's. Or even when some folks run a composite (or S-vid) cable to a 2nd SDTV.

I have 2 SDTV's at home but they have their own HD box set to 480i. With MRV they can still play stuff from the DVR that is hooked into the HDTV in the living room. All 3 TV's can watch different programming too.

Understand, but that's a different situation, that doesn't help us folks that do NOT have a receiver on EVERY TV in our homes. ;) ;)

Since the new DirecTV guide was downloaded, the guide & menus will no longer display HD & SD simultaneously (HD through an HDMI connector and in SD via the auxiliary RCA outputs.)

This presents me with a serious problem, as I have 1 HD TV connected to the HDMI output of the DVR and (3) SD TV's which are fed via the the RCA/SD aux/out >> RF scan converter. I use this setup in conjunction with two third party remote RF signal senders. Prior to this "upgrade," I could see the guide and other menus just fine on the SD sets. Now I receive a message that tells me that my "TV or cables are not HD." I am given the option of pressing and holding the EXIT button, to switch the DVR to SD mode.

Two problems: 1) It doesn't work. 2) I don't want to do it.

So- Does anyone know of a reasonably priced HDMI in to RF-OUT modulator? Since the DVR only has one HDMI out, I realize that I will also have to get an HDMI mufti-port splitter, which probably won't give me 5.1 on the outputs. Thanks.

P.S. The new guide is no better/faster, is harder to read, and gives me more gee-golly whiz-bang features that I don't give a "rat's" about. And yes, its been over 60 hours for the download to finish.

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys!

This is a quirk of the new hd gui. Maybe they will fix it at some point, hopefully anyway. You aren't the only one feeding an sd television with it. You might want to use the component outputs to an rf modulator, that way you won't need an hdmi splitter. The other option is to get an hd television for the other output! :)

Since the new DirecTV guide was downloaded, the guide & menus will no longer display HD & SD simultaneously (HD through an HDMI connector and in SD via the auxiliary RCA outputs.)

This presents me with a serious problem, as I have 1 HD TV connected to the HDMI output of the DVR and (3) SD TV's which are fed via the the RCA/SD aux/out >> RF scan converter. I use this setup in conjunction with two third party remote RF signal senders. Prior to this "upgrade," I could see the guide and other menus just fine on the SD sets. Now I receive a message that tells me that my "TV or cables are not HD." I am given the option of pressing and holding the EXIT button, to switch the DVR to SD mode.

Two problems: 1) It doesn't work. 2) I don't want to do it.

So- Does anyone know of a reasonably priced HDMI in to RF-OUT modulator? Since the DVR only has one HDMI out, I realize that I will also have to get an HDMI mufti-port splitter, which probably won't give me 5.1 on the outputs. Thanks.

P.S. The new guide is no better/faster, is harder to read, and gives me more gee-golly whiz-bang features that I don't give a "rat's" about. And yes, its been over 60 hours for the download to finish.

its not designed to work that way correctly; you could get the addtional receiver(s) and then you would work exactly as expected.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts