New Guide no longer works in both HD & SD modes at the sme time

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I disagree a little bit. Calling someone CHEAP brings nothing to the table.we can help the newbies without the name calling.you can't expect everyone to be as thicked skin as you are.what bothers you may not bother me and so on. It's just unnecessary in this case. :)
Now your post above is a great example how to explain the issue without being rude.

I am the one saying it, for $ 5 more he can do it within D* system that they support.

They could do it EITHER way; bottom line is that as long as NO HDCP protected HD signals are coming out of those connections is all that matters.

NOT if you want to send the same signal to an HDTV AND an SDTV simultaneously - which is what I & many of my clients are doing all the time when we use our (SD) modulated backfeeds to secondary TV's. Or even when some folks run a composite (or S-vid) cable to a 2nd SDTV.

Understand, but that's a different situation, that doesn't help us folks that do NOT have a receiver on EVERY TV in our homes. ;) ;)

This is it exactly

AND. to add for the OP: it didn't cost me an additional $400.00 do do my 4 rooms and ALL are HD. And I am talking add-on's - NOT a full new, free install..
Do you have whole home DVR or separate boxes at each TV? D* wants 199 for the WHDVR and another 199 to have a "qualified Technician" come out to install it. Separate boxes do not solve the shared DVR access - with menus - which worked jut fine before the change.

BTW - The new guide is no faster for me - maybe even slower. (I also hate the color scheme. Its harder to read.) It also has at least one logic flaw. When one presses info, types another channel number (no waiting) and then presses "Select," one gets more info, instead of the desired channel.

Do you have whole home DVR or separate boxes at each TV? D* wants 199 for the WHDVR and another 199 to have a "qualified Technician" come out to install it. Separate boxes do not solve the shared DVR access - with menus - which worked jut fine before the change.

BTW - The new guide is no faster for me - maybe even slower. (I also hate the color scheme. Its harder to read.) It also has at least one logic flaw. When one presses info, types another channel number (no waiting) and then presses "Select," one gets more info, instead of the desired channel.

Thats because you hit "Info" first, it's giving you what you asked for first.

give it a few days. You downloaded the software recently?

For all the OLD PROS who apparently DO NOT READ COMPLETE POSTS, OR JUST LIKE TO BE SNOTTY PEOPLE:

I -HAD- the equivalent of a HOME-BREW "WHOLE HOME DVR," ---- BEFORE this "new, improved" guide was inflicted on me.

One or two $5/6 per month boxes will not make me whole

A I stated, initially, I came her to find out about third party technology that would enable me to do what I was doing ----NOT---- to be lectured by a bunch of self absorbed sanctimonious sons of unwed parents, who want to refer to two weeks of discussion that are not there in the log, and parrot the party line of the vendor who is stiff-arming me.

Three or four people on this board have been helpful. The rest. Not so much.
----------------------------
"Already discussed?
"Just LOOK "in the past two weeks?"

"CHEAP?

$5.00 will fix his problem????

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the OLD PROS who apparently DO NOT READ COMPLETE POSTS, OR JUST LIKE TO BE SNOTTY PEOPLE:

I -HAD- the equivalent of a HOME-BREW "WHOLE HOME DVR," ---- BEFORE this "new, improved" guide was inflicted on me.

One or two $5/6 per month boxes will not make me whole

A I stated, initially, I came her to find out about third party technology that would enable me to do what I was doing ----NOT---- to be lectured by a bunch of self absorbed sanctimonious sons of unwed parents, who want to refer to two weeks of discussion that are not there in the log, and parrot the party line of the vendor who is stiff-arming me.

Three or four people on this board have been helpful. The rest. Not so much.
----------------------------
"Already discussed?
"Just LOOK "in the past two weeks?"

"CHEAP?

$5.00 will fix his problem????

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

OMG!! You must be seriously kidding right?

You almost totally ignore all the true facts that have been consistently commented on regarding your setup and then resort to a rant with name calling and also still refuse to see what the real issue is and continue to want to lecture us about your special needs as opposed to an actual DirecTV issue. Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
charper1 said:

You almost totally ignore all the true facts that have been consistently commented on regarding your setup and then resort to a rant with name calling and also still refuse to see what the real issue is and continue to want to lecture us about your special needs as opposed to an actual DirecTV issue. Good luck!!

He's wanting us to tell him a 3rd party place to fix his problem. Wrong site, this site is for people that want answers on what's wrong and how to fix it..the RIGHT way. I would be upset to but I would not rant about people on the site that's explained over and over what's wrong and how to fix it. The OP is wanting a fix that's going to be the same as before. Get MRV. It's going to cost you money it did the first time you made you "home-brew" set up. It's part of technology! It changes on a daily basis and no provider is going to worry about home brew setups out there. If they did everybody would have 1 HDDVR and running 5 tvs. It boil down to, accept the facts that's been given to you and move on and make a decision. MRV with the upfront cost or deal with what you have.

I understand all the facts and ignore none of them. You apparently don't understand the facts, or choose to ignore them. This is indeed an issue with a change that D* made that cripples a previously available feature set, that was present, prior to the change. (Whether that feature set was intend by D* or not) The suggestions made about getting additional boxes for 5/6 per month, do not solve the problem. Whole Home DVR might solve the problem (at a cost of 400.00 + 15.00/month) if, and only if, WWDRV supports SD TV's at the remote box locations.

So to be clear - Do you have a problem with someone asking about third party technology to address a need, necessitated by a system change?

Do you work for D*?

Did you write the new guide?

Is this somehow a personal affront to you that someone doesn't like the new software in terms of content and/or losss of features (Intended or unintended)?

Name Calling?

You seem to be upset for reasons that are not clear. The only one who has been treated badly in this thread is me.
I suggest you re-read Jimbo's posts. If your's was not one of the inappropriate replies, than there is no reason to be upset.

Have a good evening sir.

I understand all the facts and ignore none of them. You apparently don't understand the facts, or choose to ignore them. This is indeed an issue with a change that D* made that cripples a previously available feature set, that was present, prior to the change. (Whether that feature set was intend by D* or not) The suggestions made about getting additional boxes for 5/6 per month, do not solve the problem. Whole Home DVR might solve the problem (at a cost of 400.00 + 15.00/month) if, and only if, WWDRV supports SD TV's at the remote box locations.

So to be clear - Do you have a problem with someone asking about third party technology to address a need, necessitated by a system change?

Do you work for D*?

Did you write the new guide?

Is this somehow a personal affront to you that someone doesn't like the new software in terms of content and/or losss of features (Intended or unintended)?

Name Calling?

You seem to be upset for reasons that are not clear. The only one who has been treated badly in this thread is me.
I suggest you re-read Jimbo's posts. If your's was not one of the inappropriate replies, than there is no reason to be upset.

Have a good evening sir.

As for the first part of your post ... How long have you been with D* ?
If you've been there awhile the Whole Home thing won't cost you nearly what you stated, call back and ask again.

Yes .... this is a site for people that need help with D* (or other providers) getting thier systems set up Correctly. Not by passing the system...

Do you work for D*?

Nope, but there are MANY techs in the forum here that DO.

Ask us a question about D*'s system and someone here generally can help you.

Personally, I stay out of discussions generally of things that I personally have not used, such as MRV, I don't use it (only because I have No need for it in my situation) so I don't post about it.

Good luck with your improvising of the system, it probably won't work the way you want it to because they found people trying to do exactly what you are doing.

I would like to do the MRV thing , just to play with it, but I hate being nickel and dimed to death, and D* is charging extra for that feature and no other providers are, so I'll pass.

too funny how op's on the net will spend another op's money lmao.
but listen up dtv has put out this press the exit button
to address this trouble because it has troubled alot of users.
and i can live with this fix. would be cool if they could do better.
they are trying to do something have got a email with Q &A survey and a call from DTV asking how this new press the exit button is helping. they are the best home service company i deal with.
the challenge with new tech stuff is to make things better for the end user and this one is so far somewhat questionable. have both gudies still here and the new one is slower at deleting watched programs.and only faster at moving right and left.
what i and others have/had are not some " HOME-BREW "WHOLE HOME" system. DTV promoted this type of setup since day one that i have been with them (1997.) what other reason would one want or need a RF remote ? that's how it was sold to me back then in the form of 2 SD RF capable boxes they sold me back then($385 each).
this new whole house dvr thing is for people without the knowledge or skills needed to do what others have had for years.
Merry Xmas

For the sanctimonious snobs(to borrow a phrase): ....the description at the top of this forum says "for those having trouble with their Directv equipment...

Well, as a matter of fact I am having trouble since the HD guide software update. The modulated SD output doesn't work as before. Maybe they can fix it, or maybe it's all tied together with the HD format and can't be split out into the composite outputs without some major programming?

FYI: A friend and I ordered the component-to-composite converter from monoprice and hooked it up today. It didn't work. At first we bypassed the audio around the converter and got a B&W picture with an audio buzz, so we then ran the audio through the converter and got good audio but a black picture. We tried the other converter with identical results. The converters are going back to monoprice, less the re-stocking fee. Now I'm wondering if I should have tried the other component cable as well.
The old original composite modulator works, but there is no guide or menu available. I haven't tried holding the exit button yet.

There is another problem for those of us who have a device like the Slingbox Classic. Even though it has an IR blaster, the blaster will not send out a continuous signal so I can hold down the EXIT key to make the switch. Combine that with the 4+ years I have used it to watch TV together with my wife when I travel and now I am finding that DirecTV just added a killer feature...killer as in it killed my working setup that has been in place for a very long time.

This is looking like one more reason this DirecTV customer since 1998 will have to switch to another source for programming. First the TiVo decisions, then this, who knows what's next.

DirecTV, you broke it. Please fix it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.