New Guide no longer works in both HD & SD modes at the sme time

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Another thread on the same subject, doesn't anyone read the threads that are already out there ?

You know, I searched for my topic, " New Guide no longer works in both HD & SD modes at the same time," but somehow that didn't show me a listing of a thread that discusses a a "similar" problem titled, "0x576 SW guide only in 480i."
Did you have any other HELPFUL comments to make?

Actually, it was designed exactly to provide parallell SD program output on the RCA ports and did so, flawlessly for 4 years, til Tuesday December 06, 2011. Yes. I could recommission two SD boxes at $6.00 per box per month, but 2 people with 4 TV's shouldn't need 4 sat boxes. I still don't as long as I don't try to view menu information at the SD set locations. Makes it kind of difficult to wath DVR's shows in the Bedroon, though. I could also convert to whole home DVR, for $198. parts + $199 installation + a net increase of 15.00 per month, for two additional boxes and a 3.00/month premI don't want to do that either. I had something that worked till a system change. I'm looking for technology to accomplish this.

Thanks

Like charper1 said, you could get an hd box for the remote location. That would be only $6/month more. Depending upon your customer status, Directv may send you the box for free.

Some of you guys need to be a little more patient with the new members. We were all there at one point. :)
Charper and chip got the right solution to your problem.

Some of you guys need to be a little more patient with the new members. We were all there at one point. :)
Charper and chip got the right solution to your problem.

Thanks, but I don't have HDTV's at the remote locations. (Only one at the DVR location.) I previously had SD boxes at the remote locations.There are extra RG6 runs, that I put in for this modified purpose several years ago. If an HDMI/RF scan converter is not available for less than several hundred dollars, a component to RF scan converter would do the job. I acknowledge that DTV never intended for anyone to do what I'm doing with the composite video out; however, they made it possible with the initial design. I was able to used it for my purpose for several years. They are now making it difficult and I am trying to find one or two "black boxes" that will let me keep doing what I was doing.

The true underlying crime is that copy protection only thwarts bad pirates and legitimate users. HDMI being based on DVI and it's inherent distance limitation is obscene. LR HDMI cables are a PIA & no one wants to pay for HDSI in the home, so we turn to voodoo to solve problems.

The greatest technical home video accident of the last century was the cable ready VCR with TV tuner connected to a cable ready TV. Things will never be that simple again.

You know, I searched for my topic, " New Guide no longer works in both HD & SD modes at the same time," but somehow that didn't show me a listing of a thread that discusses a a "similar" problem titled, "0x576 SW guide only in 480i."
Did you have any other HELPFUL comments to make?

Ice posted one thread link, there are others if you just LOOK, no need to search something thatb nhas been talked about for the last 2 weeks now.

Thanks, but I don't have HDTV's at the remote locations. (Only one at the DVR location.) I previously had SD boxes at the remote locations.There are extra RG6 runs, that I put in for this modified purpose several years ago. If an HDMI/RF scan converter is not available for less than several hundred dollars, a component to RF scan converter would do the job. I acknowledge that DTV never intended for anyone to do what I'm doing with the composite video out; however, they made it possible with the initial design. I was able to used it for my purpose for several years. They are now making it difficult and I am trying to find one or two "black boxes" that will let me keep doing what I was doing.

The true underlying crime is that copy protection only thwarts bad pirates and legitimate users. HDMI being based on DVI and it's inherent distance limitation is obscene. LR HDMI cables are a PIA & no one wants to pay for HDSI in the home, so we turn to voodoo to solve problems.

The greatest technical home video accident of the last century was the cable ready VCR with TV tuner connected to a cable ready TV. Things will never be that simple again.

So basically your being CHEAP.
I have a feeling that D* will fix this soon, was the New HD GUI automatically sent to you or did you download it yourself ?

So basically your being CHEAP.
I have a feeling that D* will fix this soon, was the New HD GUI automatically sent to you or did you download it yourself ?

No I didn't request the new guide nor download it manually. DTV pushed it out.

No, I'm not just being cheap. I invested time and material to eliminate monthly recurring costs in a two person household with four TV's. (One HD and three SD 's) I also engineered a solution that allowed me to view and control the DVR from any TV (HD or SD) in the house, several years prior to Directv's "Whole home DVR" offering. I have talked with DirecTV tech support and read their support docs on line. I have no faith whatsoever that they will modify the menu/guide software to return the simultaneous SD & HD compatibility that existed for me, and others, prior to December 06. If I cannot find a working blackbox solution, I need to either go back to three SD boxes instead of 1 SD box & 1HDDVR. to go back to square one and lose the ability to watch my DVR from the other locations with menu control. -OR- spend $400.00, to install whole home DRV and PRAY that the remote station HD boxes will allow me to see the DVR menu on SD sets.

Why are you so condescending and abrasive?

No I didn't request the new guide nor download it manually. DTV pushed it out.

No, I'm not just being cheap. I invested time and material to eliminate monthly recurring costs in a two person household with four TV's. (One HD and three SD 's) I also engineered a solution that allowed me to view and control the DVR from any TV (HD or SD) in the house, several years prior to Directv's "Whole home DVR" offering. I have talked with DirecTV tech support and read their support docs on line. I have no faith whatsoever that they will modify the menu/guide software to return the simultaneous SD & HD compatibility that existed for me, and others, prior to December 06. If I cannot find a working blackbox solution, I need to either go back to three SD boxes instead of 1 SD box & 1HDDVR. to go back to square one and lose the ability to watch my DVR from the other locations with menu control. -OR- spend $400.00, to install whole home DRV and PRAY that the remote station HD boxes will allow me to see the DVR menu on SD sets.

Why are you so condescending and abrasive?

I don't see anyone as being condescending and abrasive; but trying to get you and others to see its YOUR engineering that is outside the system of how things are designed to work correctly to save a few dollars.

BUT when any system changes come down you are complaining that your self-engineered work around is no longer working.

So just so you understand that self created work around is NOT in anyone's design plans and that is where the issue resides; not in the DirecTV system or it's design or it's implementation.

So you need to come up with another self-designed work around at your additional costs; or your use the system exactly the way it is designed to operate correctly. Its that easy.

charper1 said:
I don't see anyone as being condescending and abrasive; but trying to get you and others to see its YOUR engineering that is outside the system of how things are designed to work correctly to save a few dollars.

BUT when any system changes come down you are complaining that your self-engineered work around is no longer working.

So just so you understand that self created work around is NOT in anyone's design plans and that is where the issue resides; not in the DirecTV system or it's design or it's implementation.

So you need to come up with another self-designed work around at your additional costs; or your use the system exactly the way it is designed to operate correctly. Its that easy.

I think this is best said. Either get the other 2 boxes or find another solution. The OP obviously isn't dumb. He's made it all these years without any boxes in the other rooms. Regardless, Directv doesn't look at "home-brew" systems to work around with software. So it boils down to get more boxes or learn to deal with it. I do hope somebody find a solution for you though!

I disagree a little bit. Calling someone CHEAP brings nothing to the table.we can help the newbies without the name calling.you can't expect everyone to be as thicked skin as you are.what bothers you may not bother me and so on. It's just unnecessary in this case. :)
Now your post above is a great example how to explain the issue without being rude.

I did not call any user cheap.. I said "to save a few dollars" just like the user himself pointed out; in his own post.

User said "to eliminate monthly recurring costs in a two person household "

I am pointing out that it is simply not in DirecTV's design plans, nor is it their responsibility, to work out or correct home-brew workaround issues that arise. Nor is it their issue to make sure these home-brews continue to work.

I did not call any user cheap.. I said "to save a few dollars" just like the user himself pointed out; in his own post.

User said "to eliminate monthly recurring costs in a two person household "
Didn't say you did my friend.look at my post.

I learned a long time ago that when you try to save a few bucks it can be more trouble than it's worth.but that's me.when possible its just so much easier to keep up to date with these things.

AND. to add for the OP: it didn't cost me an additional $400.00 do do my 4 rooms and ALL are HD. And I am talking add-on's - NOT a full new, free install..

I learned a long time ago that when you try to save a few bucks it can be more trouble than it's worth.but that's me.when possible its just so much easier to keep up to date with these things.

Yep NOT to mention all the headaches and personal time wasted.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)