New guy getting dish, need some advice please

voodoolord

Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Merlin, Oregon
Hey guys, new here and just learning about sat systems. Im about to have an installer come out on thursday to set me up with dishnet and I want to make sure Im doing this right. I bought a 6000HD reciever and the satellite person is going to install it as well as 2 other rooms, Im hearing about these 921 recievers and such and am guessing that I bought an old reciever. Should I as a new customer try to get something more updated and a better deal or is there a better deal at all?
I know that these companies have better deals for new customers so I just want to make sure Im getting a good setup and not the shaft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS is the 6000U reciever any good? what problems should I look for? It's supposed to be 8PSK whatever that means. Im lost please help
voodoo

you should go to the dishnetwork.com web site and look at it.you tell the website what you want to do and it tells you what system to get.there are newer system than the 6000. the 921 which seems to have alot of problems and the 942.these are hd dual tuner units.i have 3 508 receiver and a 510 and have some minor annoyances occasionaly. hope this helps bj

I went to the website and then called my installer. They said it would cost $200 for the 942 and that was just to rent it not buy it. I think this 6000 is supposed to have the latest upgrades to it but I dont see what the difference is between the 6000 and the 942 other than the dual tuner and dvr which I dont need anyway. Is there something im missing here? Should I just get the 810 for free and sell this 6000 to someone else or should I use it? Thanks for your help
voodoo

Admittedly a blanket statement, but only a person who has never used a DVR before will say they don't need one.

The 6000 is an older model HD receiver, it has no dvr capablitys and a very slow guide... I have both the 921 and a 6000 the dvr is great, I have had few problems with either one. But I do not have OTA. Do a search from the tool bar at the upper part of this page on both the 6000 and 811 there will be many threads, but it might help you make up your mind.

We love our 942!! Best to rent right now as the MPEG-4 transition should be getting underway before too many more months and Charlie has said the HD units will be the first to be changed out. We will consider purchasing vs. lease when the 962, 411 and the rest of the MPEG-4 units come out.

--Doug

Thanks for the info. I try to do as much searching as possible before I start asking stupid questions but the installer is coming tomorrow so I dont have alot of time. Im guessing that OTA is "over the air", and that applies to local HD programming? If it is, can the 6000U do that or am I screwed for OTA? Also I can get up to 4 rooms for free they say so should I go for the max rooms if I only need 3? I may end up being able to use the 4th on my computer which works like a TIVO if I want it too. One more thing, This came with a yellow smart card, Should I put it away before they show up and get another one or does it matter? Thanks again.
voodoo

Lease the 942. Lease the 942. Lease the 942.

You will love it. You will love it. You will love it.

I guarrantee it. I guarrantee it. I guarrantee it.

Is there an echo in here? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts