new guy here need a little help<<<<

Status
Please reply by conversation.

79mudbugg

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
north carolina
Good morning and thanks for the replies, sry for the newbie ques. I have been wondering round this site for days now learning alot bout tv and radio! i have also been searching here and the internet. This is what i have a single directv dish with 3 lnb's, a reciever in the living rm that is hd dvr (genie) and a lil black box in the bedroom. ok so i am trying to get a signal to my shop, the catch is after reading a ton of info still a lil fuzzy. So the cable from the dish to my shop will be about 230 ft, i will run this in a rg11(not rg6 cause i read it helps with the lengh of cable)???? and then right before i place the cable in the conduit heading that direction i was going to place a booster on it then proceed to the reciever in the shop. Does this sound like it would be close to working?? Can anyone advise me on a booster??? Or do i even need a booster?? Thanks for the advise, God bless

Not sure on a booster or if you really need it, the SWM dish set up you have has a power insertor for suppling power to the dish itself.

One of the installers will chime in soon and can advise you better as they deal with this daily, 230 ft is pushing it .... but I would try it and see how it works for you.

Welcome to the site !

Run a length of rg6 (direct burial if possible) above ground from your swm splitter to your shop. Connect your Genie Mini (lil black box) and see if it works. If it does, bury the cable and your're good to go. Get another Mini and another swm splitter to support it.

Here is an installer approach,

Put a dish on your shop. If you have electricity & a line of sight (LOS) just hang a dish & order another receiver. You will pay for the extra receiver. You can have SD (cheapest & EZ to rig)........exactly what you have...need a recorder in your shop? Even a Genie......how big is that shop anyhow?

Consider the dish idea.

Joe

Good morning and thanks for the replies, sry for the newbie ques. I have been wondering round this site for days now learning alot bout tv and radio! i have also been searching here and the internet. This is what i have a single directv dish with 3 lnb's, a reciever in the living rm that is hd dvr (genie) and a lil black box in the bedroom. ok so i am trying to get a signal to my shop, the catch is after reading a ton of info still a lil fuzzy. So the cable from the dish to my shop will be about 230 ft, i will run this in a rg11(not rg6 cause i read it helps with the lengh of cable)???? and then right before i place the cable in the conduit heading that direction i was going to place a booster on it then proceed to the reciever in the shop. Does this sound like it would be close to working?? Can anyone advise me on a booster??? Or do i even need a booster?? Thanks for the advise, God bless

230 feet on a client is not a good idea, actually a horrible idea! You're not going from your dish with the client, you're going from your genie. Quick break down, the client relies on the genie for its programming, nothing else. Without a genie the client is worthless so you may be 230 feet from the dish or splitter but what is the total from the genie to the splitter? Add that on top of the already 230 feet. You're best bet is what Joe suggested. Get a second dish and add another receiver the account and be done. You can even have a tech come out but he does have the right to refuse a job such as yours as it will require an extra dish. So either 1, be honest with directv with what you're wanting to do so the work order is built correctly and the tech gets paid for his work or 2, expect to either "tip" the installer or run a chance of him refusing the job.

I hadn't thought about the option of adding another Dish and recvr separately, I like this idea best as it's not pushing the limits of your original set up.

what about a wireless mini.what is the range of that? is it too far? it would be nice and easy if i would work. anybody know?

80-100 feet from the wireless bridge. The bridge is installed about 10-15 feet away from the main server

I hadn't thought about the option of adding another Dish and recvr separately, I like this idea best as it's not pushing the limits of your original set up.

Be sure to request or get an actual receiver though, all the above posts are about a client which will not work with a separate dish. As always I agree with hutch on everything, the client at 230ft is a terrible idea, dont do it.

thank you guys for the help, yeah thats y i wanted to ask first cause i have several boxes of rg6 cable ( knowing if i pulled it out of the box there was no put back :rolleyes:) i'm going to give directv a call on mon.

so the dish some of yall mentioned, will they supply that?? or find one on craigslist??? i remeber back in the day you use to could buy the dishes?? if they say i have to buy i whole other package deal for this trust me thats not goin to happen.
Thanks for all yall do,
btw this site is awesome i have been reading a TON of stuff!

thanks & god bless

thank you guys for the help, yeah thats y i wanted to ask first cause i have several boxes of rg6 cable ( knowing if i pulled it out of the box there was no put back :rolleyes:) i'm going to give directv a call on mon.

so the dish some of yall mentioned, will they supply that?? or find one on craigslist??? i remeber back in the day you use to could buy the dishes?? if they say i have to buy i whole other package deal for this trust me thats not goin to happen.
Thanks for all yall do,
btw this site is awesome i have been reading a TON of stuff!

thanks & god bless

You have options, either way.

Call D* have them come out and see what they say, if they do it, then great, they'll supply the equipment I would imagine, you'll need to add another recvr for that location regardless.

If D* says No, we only support the original dish, thats fine...

You can order a dish and recvr form online places like Solid Signal ect.
Try to avoid E-bay type of stuff as far as recvrs as you don't really know if they are New/Used, Leased or Owned without first calling D* to find out.

IF you do the e-bay or Craiglist for the dish and recvr, CALL D* first with the numbers from the recvr, just because thier adds say they are owned, many are not.

If you can be happy with SD in your shop, than an 18 round is much more forgiving when it comes to aiming it properly yourself if you have any LOS issues from the shop. You can easily find a new dish and sd receiver for under $100 and adding it to your acct would just be the $6/month for another receiver. A used dish off CL or Ebay is a crap shoot since you don't know what condition the LNB will be in, add to that the fact that about 90% of the receivers that private parties claim are owned are actually leased and you are better off with new unless you know exactly where it's coming from.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)