New guy here

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmokramer11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Queens
I just found this forum it seems to have a wealth of info. I have been wanting to get into Fta for a while, from what I read I need to have a dish bigger than 36in and a motor. Is that correct?

36" is plenty big enough for Ku band FTA. My dish is 31" and I've done just fine by it.

You need to determine if you want a motor so you can see all of the satellites, or if you are just interested in 1 or two where a fixed dish would work.

If you want two, you would have to choose ones that are close together like 97 W and 101 W would be visible on a single 36" dish with the proper LNB holder, or you could jerry-rig one like many members have done.

This is the right place to be to learn and ask questions.

Good Luck!

Hi,

You don't need to have a 36 inch dish. A 30 inch dish will do just fine for most of the satellites up there.

But, if you go with a motorized dish setup, I'd recommend you get the 36 inch dish. This will let you get better reception on most of the satellites and will give you better access. Besides, it's only 6 inches...

If you decide to go with a 30 inch dish, I'd recommend the Winegard DS2076. This is prob. the best quality 30 inch satellite dish on the market and is very easy to install.

Get a receiver with blind search or powercan along with a good LNBF and you'll be on your way to a world of free entertainment!!!!

:welcome

Hi,

You don't need to have a 36 inch dish. A 30 inch dish will do just fine for most of the satellites up there.

But, if you go with a motorized dish setup, I'd recommend you get the 36 inch dish. This will let you get better reception on most of the satellites and will give you better access. Besides, it's only 6 inches...

If you decide to go with a 30 inch dish, I'd recommend the Winegard DS2076. This is prob. the best quality 30 inch satellite dish on the market and is very easy to install.

Get a receiver with blind search or powercan along with a good LNBF and you'll be on your way to a world of free entertainment!!!!

That sounds like the plan thaks.

agreed. I have had one for 5 years now with no issues. Picks up almost everything it should here in Minnesota

Hi,

agreed. I have had one for 5 years now with no issues. Picks up almost everything it should here in Minnesota

Definitely! I have to agree quite strongly.

I also use the Winegard DS-2076 dish and I believe in it wholeheartedly. I tried installing the 1M Winegard and, although it seemed to pull in a few more lesser strength channels, I found it heavy, cumbersome and rather picky in regards to alignment.

Not only that, but the larger the dish, the greater of a "wind sail" it becomes.

The Winegard DS-2076 has to be one of the most perfect dishes for FTA Ku band applications. In my opinion, if you think you need anything bigger or better, you should step up to C-Band BUD dishes.

A 90 cm to 1M dish might be necessary if you reside near or beyond the Canadian border. You might have to use such a dish size if you do not want to advance to C-Band in such cases.

Otherwise, the DS-2076 dish is perfect! It is light weight so you can easily manage it carrying it up a ladder if you need to. It doesn't have that great of a surface area so it isn't a huge wind sail, which is better on your motor and mast mount. It is well built, it is steel construction so it is stronger than aluminum, but still light enough that it can be used with any motor.

The design geometry makes it equal to many 90 cm dishes in reception abilities.

The only drawback that I have found with this dish is that it does not come with side-support brackets or struts for the LNBF mounting arm. But, most of the bolt holes are there and you can fabricate your own if you think you need them. Might be recommended if you use the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF. But, I find that it isn't necessary.

I would put this DS-2076 dish up against just about any other dish without any hesitation! I also think the price is right, too! Maybe a bit more or less than others, but close enough to not make me quibble about it.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts