New guy needs help spending money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yuccabrevifolia

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Tehachapi CA
Hey Folks! First post. First of all I’d like to thank all of you for helping get me involved in this particular hobby. I started following this board and a couple of others last spring when I ran across an ad for FTA equipment through craigslist in L.A. I live on the top of a hill in a rural area of CA (Tehachapi) so FTA made real sense since there is no cable and not much OTA here. Now my boys expect PBS kids in the morning and I can talk Montana politics with my sister in Billings. I’m one of those people who can never do enough research on this stuff, and farther I get into it the more conflicting the information is, especially regarding receivers.

I’ve had a motorized 36” setup for about six months now. Just bought an Invacom LNB from Sadoun and now want to go with a larger setup, something at least 6 feet and capable of C-band. I was hoping someone here could point me in the direction of a good receiver and maybe a dealer on the west coast who sells larger dishes. The shipping from back east is a killer.

I have a Sonicview 8000, but it is not exactly the best build quality I’ve ever seen. Have to hit the top of it every so often to get the fan to quiet down, locks up every once in a while, etc.. I’m also very much unclear about the 8psk implementation on the add in cards for these things. Not interested in ‘turbo’ or whatever else the remaining pirates may try to sell. I’m also trying to get as close to obsolescence-proof as I can. I’d rather spend money up front to get something that will last and has the features I need for the foreseeable future. I nickel and dimed up to this point so I have three receivers, Veiwsat and 2 Sonicview, all of which are OK. Wish I would have gone for better to begin with, but I didn’t reckon on getting addicted to this. :).

So long story, not so long, what is a good choice for a receiver that will do DVB2, 8PSK, MP4, and any other acronym that may be becoming popular? I had thought that either the Pansat 9200 or the Azbox might be a good choice. If it is software, a Linux-based setup would seem to be a natural. Any reputable dealers for dishes out here? Most of what is down in LA seems to be fly by night.

Opinions would be appreciated. Once again, thanks all! I’m addicted to blind scan and it is because of all of you. ;).

Yucca-b

just one opinion:

Regarding big dishes on the west coast, gold sponsor SatelliteAV is up in Rosevill, near Sacramento. (map route)
I was within days of driving up there last Xmas for a 6' or 8' dish, but then located a used one locally.
The other two gold sponsors, Sadoun and WSI, are in Ohio and Atlanta, respectively.
The good news is, shipping on a 6' is not too bad.
And of course, for moving the BUD, I'd have to recommend the Gbox V3000 controller.

I'd heard that DishExperts in the valley above LA was a Fortec Star dealer.
I do seem to remember adverts from somebody out in the Riverside area, but don't recall their name nor products.
Just realized - that's not exactly on your way. :(

If you are really serious about a C-band dish, I suggest you spend a few days acquainting yourself with the C-band forum department.
There are so many useful threads, it's mind-boggling.

As for a receiver, we've had hints from SatelliteAV and Sadoun for something this year, but due to the bad financial turn with the economy, there may be some delays.
If you were really ready to go now, I'd consider the AZbox.
However, if it will take you to first of the year to secure and install the dish (and get it aligned and tested with SD), you might as well hold off to see what happens in the receiver market.

edit:
Oh, you have the HD Sonicview 8000?
That should be sufficient to whet your appetite and do some experimenting.
Just make sure you get a big enough dish to accomplish your goals!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)