New Guy, Old Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tamid

Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
n america
Hi, I'm new to the site. Just got my DirectTV installed in my camper/trailer. (HD receiver and sat. dish) Worked perfectly when the technician set it up. But I do have a question. I travel around with the camper quite a bit and I'm looking for the quickest way to set up the satellite dish at each new location. How do I know which satellite to aim at and how can I easily find the angle, tilt and direction for each new location that I'm at?

PS: would rather find the info on line if possible rather than getting a satellite finder.

Hi, I'm new to the site. Just got my DirectTV installed in my camper/trailer. (HD receiver and sat. dish) Worked perfectly when the technician set it up. But I do have a question. I travel around with the camper quite a bit and I'm looking for the quickest way to set up the satellite dish at each new location. How do I know which satellite to aim at and how can I easily find the angle, tilt and direction for each new location that I'm at?

PS: would rather find the info on line if possible rather than getting a satellite finder.
At each location your staying will be slightly different set up unless your staying in the same area.

Go into your recvr ( reset sat set up) and put in the Zip Code for where your at.
That will give you the co ordinates for your new location.
Make sure you have a compass with you.

Jimbo,

Can I use lat/long to determine coordinates?

Also can you or someone else tell me the difference between polarisation tilt, Polar mount dish offset tilt and Polar mount main axis ange?

Again how do I know which satellite group to aim at, at each new location?

Thanks.

Jimbo,

Can I use lat/long to determine coordinates?

Also can you or someone else tell me the difference between polarisation tilt, Polar mount dish offset tilt and Polar mount main axis ange?

Again how do I know which satellite group to aim at, at each new location?

Thanks.

I"m sure lat/long would work as well.
You need to point at the 99, 101 And 103 for the most part, IF your doing HD.
If your doing SD then the 101 would do fine.
You mentioned HD, so go for the 3 I mentioned first.

You'll need to set the Elevation, the Tilt and the Azimuth (east and west).
Also, VERY Important, make sure your mast is plumb.

What are you trying to set up with the other info you mentioned ?

Jimbo,

Another dumb question? How can I aim at more than one satellite at one time as you are suggesting or is that where the tilt comes in to play?

The other info I mentioned comes from a program at satsig.net/ssazelm.htm where is provides that info.

( I need to get up to speed on terminology)

Jimbo,

Upon further investigation is seems the polarization for the most part refers to setting up the old large dishes with more complicated arms and masts.

I'm assuming that if the mast is plumb then set the tilt, angle and direction and I should be good to go.

Jimbo,

Upon further investigation is seems the polarization for the most part refers to setting up the old large dishes with more complicated arms and masts.

I'm assuming that if the mast is plumb then set the tilt, angle and direction and I should be good to go.

You got it.
Usually you can set the Tilt ahead of time and have the elevation close and go from there.

Peak the 101 and the rest should fall into place, then dither it to fine tune the 99 and 103.

Howdy Folks!!

Kind of the same question here, but I have a regular service Directv (NO HD), on an RV and currently in Guaymas, Mexico. How do I know what satellite to aim at? I did the satellite pointer thing in google but there is a list of like 100 different birds.

Thanks

Semper Fi

Howdy Folks!!

Kind of the same question here, but I have a regular service Directv (NO HD), on an RV and currently in Guaymas, Mexico. How do I know what satellite to aim at? I did the satellite pointer thing in google but there is a list of like 100 different birds.

Thanks

Semper Fi

Look for the 101 satellite and point at it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)