New guy with 722 receiver and OTA question.

B Mann

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
Indiana
Newbie question, but I can't find an answer on a search. I just got a 722 receiver from Dish. We get some locals through the satelite. It has an antenna input for OTA tv. I did not hook an antenna up yet. But went to explore how to get the locals on the menu. I went to the menu and the locals button was greyed out. ??? Do I need a antenna adapter like this?? ([amazon B003UQOVXI ) I did not think so since it has the antenna input already. Am I missing something??? Thanks

Well that post got all goofed up. I posted a link for a DISH MT2 OTA MODULE. I guess it did not like the link.

The 722k required that MT2 module to add two OTA tuners. But the 722 did not since it has 1 OTA tuner built in. When I upgraded to the H3, my OTA tuner was working great. (Same for the 2 612's I also had.) I do not remember seeing a greyed out OTA menu item. Are you sure you didn't get a k?

Reactions: charlesrshell
The 722k required that MT2 module to add two OTA tuners. But the 722 did not since it has 1 OTA tuner built in. When I upgraded to the H3, my OTA tuner was working great. (Same for the 2 612's I also had.) I do not remember seeing a greyed out OTA menu item. Are you sure you didn't get a k?
I am not sure on the models. I went through the setup on the menu and it said the receiver is a 722. I can get a picture of greyed out menu. I just was not sure if you need to do anything to set up the OTA. Like start the setup over to get it to scan. or???

I found the problem... We watch most of the TV on TV2. If locals are not set up on TV1 they are blocked out on TV2.

I went to TV1 to take a picture of the greyed out screen and it was a completely different menu.

Thanks for the help.

We watch most of the TV on TV2. If locals are not set up on TV1 they are blocked out on TV2.

It gets worse. You can't watch OTA on TV2 even if the OTA tuner is set up! You have to make a recording and then watch the recording. :(

That is shortcoming #1, but at least there is a workaround.

Shortcoming #2 has no workaround. There is no way on God's green earth to set TV2 in anamorphic widescreen, unless you put the receiver into solo mode. Bah humbug!

Last edited:
It gets worse. You can't watch OTA on TV2 even if the OTA tuner is set up! You have to make a recording and then watch the recording. :(

Shortcoming #2 has no workaround. There is no way under God's green earth to set TV2 in anamorphic widescreen, unless you put the receiver into solo mode. Bah humbug!
Does the 722 still have the home port? I forgot the name of it. That's what I used when I was on 722s.

Does the 722 still have the home port? I forgot the name of it. That's what I used when I was on 722s.

Yes it does. If you used it, then why do you ask? :confused: Of course the quality is crappy compared to the composite output. Are you saying you could watch the TV2 "channel" in anamorphic widescren mode?

Reactions: charlesrshell

Shortcoming #2 has no workaround. There is no way under God's green earth to set TV2 in anamorphic widescreen, unless you put the receiver into solo mode. Bah humbug!
I just found that out... After setting up all the channels for local... I don't get any local channels on TV2... Like I said the one we watch the most.

Not sure if the channel guide will update with the "New" locals I just put on TV1???? I click on a program and it says program ends in 231:30 231 hours???. I try a record and it wants to record the program for days?? Will Dish update the program guide for locals???

Can you put in the new MT2 OTA module in the box to get the locals on another TV?? or it will not work on the 722 box?? You need the 722K box correct??

What a train wreck. I have another post started about trying to find a simple OTA DVR that does not have all the subscriptions and internet features. I just want a simple OTA DVR.

Yes, your guide will update at it's usual reboot time. Do a switch check if you want to trigger a new guide download right away.

No, there is no place for the MT2 module to slide in.

The Home Port (or whatever it's called) is an RF NTSC output that can be fed to multiple TVs. I believe you can set it up to put both TV1 and TV2 on separate RF channels and select either via your TV's tuner.

I even thought of a work around and switch TV channels. (TV1 and TV2) Nope the remote for the TV 1 is IR and TV2 is RF. Might be a work around, but just another hassle.

To force the guide download right away, first reboot the receiver. Then, after the reboot, go to the guide and skip forward as far as you can, until you get a pop-up asking if you want to download the guide.

I even thought of a work around and switch TV channels. (TV1 and TV2) Nope the remote for the TV 1 is IR and TV2 is RF. Might be a work around, but just another hassle.
The receiver can be set to allow TV1 to be controlled by a UHF remote. You would need to get another UHF remote, and make sure the "key" at the bottom of that remote (you can find it when you open the battery door cover) is flipped so that the number 1 is facing up. Then, you can address that remote in the System Info screen to control TV1. This way, you could independently control both TV1 and TV2 from other rooms, without needing to put the receiver in Solo Mode.

You don't! You just use the button on the front panel to switch into solo mode. A reboot might ensue...
My ViP222k does not reboot after switching modes. I am not sure if the 722 is the same way.

The receiver can be set to allow TV1 to be controlled by a UHF remote. You would need to get another UHF remote, and make sure the "key" at the bottom of that remote (you can find it when you open the battery door cover) is flipped so that the number 1 is facing up. Then, you can address that remote in the System Info screen to control TV1. This way, you could independently control both TV1 and TV2 from other rooms, without needing to put the receiver in Solo Mode.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I think I have a spare remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)