New guy with a few questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TXKenpo

Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
TX
I am new to the site but not so new to Dish and Direct. First a little background, I had Direct about two years ago. I then switched to Dish long story, but I stayed with them for about two years and got tired of the bill getting more expensive. So just a few days ago I had cable installed. That was a nightmare and long story but now after having had Sat, the Cable picture is crap.

My current set up with cable is HDDVR and a Mitsubishi DLP HD TV. My HD channels look very good but every non HD channel looks terrible even with good signal strength.

So I went online and looked at Direct, I see a few things have changed since I left and now I am wanting to ask the experts what equipment I should ask for? I plan on having 1 HD/DVR and 2 standard boxes for the kid’s rooms. I have all the wiring in place 2 Cat 5 wires and 2 RG6 lines to every room. I have a wine guard antenna in the attic and can pick up all but one or two local HD channels if I have to. And the pole is still on the side of my house from Dish with clear sky no obstructions.

I have also dropped my home phone service since we all carry cell phones anyway will that cause a problem?

And don’t know if this will help or not but I live in Forney TX, about 26 miles from Dallas TX.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The SD and MPEG2 HD on DirecTV are not that great, however the MPEG4 that I am getting from DirecTV is outstanding. If thats a sign of whats to come in the future then I am going to be very happy. :)

What you have should work fine! Just make sure your antenna cable is run to your satellite receiver and not diplexed, as I diplexor will not work with the new Slimline Dish.

And BTW welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys.US! :welcome:

The SD and MPEG2 HD on DirecTV are not that great, however the MPEG4 that I am getting from DirecTV is outstanding. If thats a sign of whats to come in the future then I am going to be very happy. :)

What you have should work fine! Just make sure your antenna cable is run to your satellite receiver and not diplexed, as I diplexor will not work with the new Slimline Dish.

And BTW welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys.US! :welcome:

Thanks, that’s the set up I currently have the antenna line runs straight to the receiver. I can pick up all but 1 channel if I unhook the antenna I pick up the missing channel but loose all the others? Kinds strange but I have learned to just live with it. I hope DTV will have all locals in HD??

Will I need a special dish this time around? What is the best HD/DVR receiver that everyone seems to use now? Sorry about all the questions it’s just that I was told by a rep I would have to pay $200 for the HD/DVR and I wanted to get the one I need and not have to upgrade soon.
:up

Yes you will need a new 5 LNB Dish as all of DirectV's new HD will be on two new satellites. :)

I honestly don't know the answer on your local in HD from DirecTV. I believe they have Dallas up, but dont quote me on that.

Again welcome!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)