New H20/MPEG-4/LIL Directv Upgrade Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lagman2000

Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
I have been trying for days to get a hold of someone at D* that can give me information about when I can expect to be upgraded here in Dallas. I finally got someone who at least took 5 minutes to research my questions for me. This is what I found out:

- Detroit is currently the only active MSA and is in beta test (obviously)

- Offers on the hardware have not yet been generated for customers in the other 11 MSAs. She said we may be paying more or less than the $49 people in Detroit are paying for the new dish/installation (I assume the h20 is free with rebate for everyone).

- A good way to tell if your city is active (meaning you can go out to Circuit City and buy your h20 and call D* to schedule an installation appt) is to do one of the following:

1. Check your guide. If you see the HD locals listed in your guide (it will be a black screen until you get the h20) then you are ready.

2. Go to the DirecTV web page and under the "programming" menu, select "locals". Enter your zip code. If your MSA is active, you will see a message saying something like "Your city has HD locals" and the channel numbers will be listed. (To see what it will look like, just enter a Detriot zip code.)

Now I don't have to call DirecTV every day.. I just go to the web page in the morning (I also check the other 11 MSA zips just to make sure other cities are not being upgraded before mine!)

Hope this helps!

Dan

MPEG4, Dallas Directv HD TIVO

Ok, I'm a little behind because i'm just starting to read up about this... I was thinking about getting HD Tivo. Currently, I have 3 std receivers, and one HD receiver.

What are the benefits of the upgrade? I am assuming that we will have to all upgrade? How does directv take care of it? SHould I wait to get the HD TIVO, then?

Thanks,

Mike
new member.

Mike,

If you are thinking about upgrading to the HD TIVO I would go ahead and do it now. First, Detroit is only in the beta test phase, and I'm not sure when Dallas is supposed to be upgraded. Second, the MPEG4 DVR is not supposed to be out til 2006. Get the TIVO now, and when the MPEG4 DVR comes out they will upgrade you for free.

I think we may be getting MPEG4 soon here in Atlanta but wondering if it will be any better. I am currently get my locals OTA and DTV has given me the NY feeds (not sure why but not arguing with them when they turned them on last month with my HDTivo install). I know MPEG4 will enable more interactivity, but other than that, is it supposed to provide better picture quality or just more space to offer more channels?

Net of the question, until thay add more HD cable channels, is MPEG4 going to give me anything I don't already have (beyond interactivity if I get a new receiver)?

lagman2000 said:
2. Go to the DirecTV web page and under the "programming" menu, select "locals". Enter your zip code. If your MSA is active, you will see a message saying something like "Your city has HD locals" and the channel numbers will be listed. (To see what it will look like, just enter a Detriot zip code.)

Great tip. For those wondering, zip codes (some of these are ones in the DMA that I know off of top of my head...):

New York, NY 06825
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Chicago, IL 60601
Philadelphia, PA 19127
Boston, MA 02633
San Francisco, CA 94105
Dallas, TX 75226
Washington, DC 20024
Atlanta, GA 30349
Houston, TX 77002
Detroit, MI 48212
Tampa, FL 33607

It probably won't show any until the market is "rolled out"

Obviously, as has been seen, this may or may not coincide with receiver availabilty at certain big-box stores :)

A question related to the rollout.

I am in the Denver DMA so I know I won't be getting the new stuff right away.

I have a multiplexer flaking out on me. Question is can I get the new 6X8 multiplexer and use it with my current dish or am I stuck buying another one that will only be used for 6 months or less. ideas?

Hello all,

I was scheduled to recieve HD equipment on Thursday. I'm in the NYC area, but was figuring on the 3 LNB dish since the official release of the 5 LNB hadn't been published here in NYC.

However, I used the method above and found that on their web site DTV is offering HD locals in NYC now. Must be as of this week, because last week I'm pretty sure it wasn't.

So I called DTV to say Hey, I would like the new equipment. The guy on the phone (who was pretty good I must say) tells me that he agrees. So, he cancels my previous order & goes to put in the new order. He notices that his system will only give him the 3 LNB still. He puts me on hold. It turns out that for NY & LA we are getting our local HD from the 119 bird which is NOT one of the new ones.

Not sure what to make of this, but I though I would share that info with you guys.

later

thedirtyjobs said:
It turns out that for NY & LA we are getting our local HD from the 119 bird which is NOT one of the new ones.

Not sure what to make of this, but I though I would share that info with you guys.

later

NY/LA HD locals have been avalible for a long time, but these are the mpeg2 locals not the new mpeg4. Thats why you only need the 3 lnb dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)