New Hd channels not filling entire screen

Spatch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Northeast, PA
Is anyone having the problem that when TLC or Discovery channel is stretching the SD programming to HD that picture is not filling the whole screen? Tonight I noticed a small black line on the left side of my screen. It was on a couple of episodes of property ladder. Commercials are fine and other shows are fine.

I just sent them an e-mail. That sucks. Even the picture quality is bad.
C'mon E* get with it and fix the problem.

yeah I tend to think it's not dish but discovery causing oddness with their channels.. I've seen it cut off the names/numbers durring the 480p upconvert..

this is Discovery's solution for non HD content. although i hate pillars, i MUCH prefer this cropping to strechovision. this solution is the one that many have been asking TNT to do. or i guess, they could just leave it 4:3. regardless, someone is not going to be happy. we're going to see a lot of this as simulcast channels with non-hd content launch.

You see, everyone's different but I can't stand the stretch and crop. I'd MUCH rather have the pillar bars on either side of the screen (like A&E "HD").

But whether you like it or not I have one question: don't the advertisers have anything to say about the fact that when you do this stretch-and-crop some of the text (at the bottom and top) is hidden? I mean I wouldn't want to spend money for a commercial and have part of my message fall off the screen.

=NLK=

I get the feeling that we will be dealing with a lot of this during the next year with this upcoming HD revolution.

It's not HD if it's a cropped and upconverted 480i signal.

What's sad is that many people may see it and ask themselves what all the fuss is about HD.

Cheers,

I had people already asking me that, looking at my TV when trying to show them the difference...I have been asked if had too much money..:rolleyes:

Yeah on TLCHD OCC Show look really good and it took up the whole screen which some shows do others dont. :)

My local NBC runs this 14:9 aspect ratio OTA and I can't stand it. It pretty much renders all the built in picture options useless. I can't figure out why they wouldn't run 4:3 and let the viewer select stretch, zoom, partial zoom ect.. from there TV.

That's what I figured it was, zooming to 14:9. What's especially annoying is that the thin black bars on the sides really magnify the slight geometry problem on my LCoS set.

I'm against providers doing any stretching. Let the user choose. If I want it stretched, add grey panels, partial zoom or full zoom, I can do it with my remote. Forcing me to watch one format that the provider uses is wrong. This is how all three (or four) major networks do it and how all locals do it in my DMA. Several of us have programmed the converters to use bars or stretch during the first few months, and we agreed with what viewers stated: Don't convert. Simply let the user zoom, stretch or whatever. IF it's 4:3 then send it that way with black sides. If it's 16:9, send it that way. If it's 13x2, send it that way with black to fill out to the right ratiop. The blank sides are not sent blank. That is black sides added to the SD to make it 16:9. But, to the user, it is SD and I feel it is best that providers do nothing but add the black sides so the user can do what they want. Then, at full HD content time, we can switch back to normal.

Someday, all of this will be real 16:9 HD and we won't have to worry. Notice on the broadcast networks that more and more commercials during HD prime time are in HD with surround Sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)