New HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vivek9856

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Hello everyone. First off, I love this site and its been very helpful.

Now to the question. I am a long time DTV customer (Since '94), and I am happy with my service all along. I recently (About 1 year ago) upgraded my system to HD service. I called a rep and said cable is giving me a better offer than DirecTV, but the CSR looked at my old account and gave me a break on the upgrade. I got a new SD receiver, 1 H20 receiver, and a new 3 LNB dish. I also got some offers like money off bill and other stuff. I did enter a 2 year contract, however.

I now heard about the new satellite coming online and how it can only work with 5 LNB dishes. I really want these channels, so I have to upgrade. First, is it absolutely necessary to have a 5 LNB dish to see the new channels? Secondly, can I get an upgrade for free? Thirdly, I have the $10 HD package on my main receiver as well as a $5 additional receiver fee. Can I get HD on both receivers without having to pay $10 more per month?

I wanted your opinion on this. I am in a 2 yr contract, about half a year to go. I want to ask for a new 5 LNB dish and a HR20 (HD DVR) all for free or under $50. Do you all think this is reasonable or feasible?

I would appreciate your replies. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone. First off, I love this site and its been very helpful.

Now to the question. I am a long time DTV customer (Since '94), and I am happy with my service all along. I recently (About 1 year ago) upgraded my system to HD service. I called a rep and said cable is giving me a better offer than DirecTV, but the CSR looked at my old account and gave me a break on the upgrade. I got a new SD receiver, 1 H20 receiver, and a new 3 LNB dish. I also got some offers like money off bill and other stuff. I did enter a 2 year contract, however.

I now heard about the new satellite coming online and how it can only work with 5 LNB dishes. I really want these channels, so I have to upgrade. First, is it absolutely necessary to have a 5 LNB dish to see the new channels? Secondly, can I get an upgrade for free? Thirdly, I have the $10 HD package on my main receiver as well as a $5 additional receiver fee. Can I get HD on both receivers without having to pay $10 more per month?

I wanted your opinion on this. I am in a 2 yr contract, about half a year to go. I want to ask for a new 5 LNB dish and a HR20 (HD DVR) all for free or under $50. Do you all think this is reasonable or feasible?

I would appreciate your replies. Thanks in advance.

You do need the 5 lnb dish, but I'll bet you already have one. Are you getting local channels in hd? If so, you have the right dish. If not, they will upgrade at no charge. The $10 gets you hd on all of your receivers. You may get a new hd dvr for free since you are a long time customer. Many are paying as much as $299 for one.

I have a 3 LNB dish now. Im in Louisiana, so I don't have local channels yet.

So you think it is reasonable for me to call them and ask for a HD DVR and a 5 LNB dish although im 6 months left in my 2 yr contract?

Note: DTV reset their account records in '97, so their computers think Im a cust. from 97. Is that long enough? lol

I have a 3 LNB dish now. Im in Louisiana, so I don't have local channels yet.

So you think it is reasonable for me to call them and ask for a HD DVR and a 5 LNB dish although im 6 months left in my 2 yr contract?

Note: DTV reset their account records in '97, so their computers think Im a cust. from 97. Is that long enough? lol

It is possible that you do have the 5 lnb dish. It looks like it has only 3, but there are three in one assembly. Does it say Slimline on it or have two lnbs on a separate arm on the side?

No. Its a 3 LNB Dish. I see the 3 LNB's. I am 200% sure its a 3 LNB. However, my H20 in the settings menu says its 5 LNB. Weird. Its a 3 though.

I would wait another month till they actually announce these channels to make a decision on what to do.

Chances are Directv will announce 5 new channels, and DISH will come back and match it and or even beat it!

DISH may be the better choice for HD

vivek9856,

If you just upgraded to the H20 and received a dish last year I would be willing to bet that you received the 5lnb dish. You could always post a pic of the dish and we will be willing to let you know what type of dish you have.

On the other comments about waiting a month to see how every thing shakes out that is not a bad idea. I would just warn you that if you have been happy with D* I would just keep them. I was happy with D* and then decided to give dish a try and Monday I will be back with D*. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. All providers have their problems and you just have to have a provider that makes you happy.

vivek9856,

If you just upgraded to the H20 and received a dish last year I would be willing to bet that you received the 5lnb dish. You could always post a pic of the dish and we will be willing to let you know what type of dish you have.

On the other comments about waiting a month to see how every thing shakes out that is not a bad idea. I would just warn you that if you have been happy with D* I would just keep them. I was happy with D* and then decided to give dish a try and Monday I will be back with D*. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. All providers have their problems and you just have to have a provider that makes you happy.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
moz-screenshot.jpg
My dish is
WG1820T.jpg

This is the three LNB dish, because there are 3 LNB's right? (Each thing is a LNB, right?)

I just called DTV and talked to "Paul". He had no problem with what I asked for. He gave me an HD DVR, a new HD reciever (I didnt need it, but he gave me one), a 5 LNB dish, installation on Wednesday, free HBO for 3 months, $10 off my bill each month for 1 year, plus I get to keep my Bellsouth Answers $5 off each month.

So figuring in all the discounts, I get 2 HD receivers, one with DVR service, and Total Choice for $55 a month for 2 years. I think this is pretty good.

Thanks!

Yes that one is the 3LNB dish. We were just making sure becuase as was stated earlier in the thread the new dishes look like they only have 3 LNB's.

I have been a customer two years shorter than you. I recently upgraded to the 5 lnb dish with 2 HR-20-700s and one H20 for $99. I also received three months of HBO/Cinemax for free and three months of HD for free. Yes, I had to give a two year commitment. But, I was very happy with the deal even though I heard others got all of the above for free. I tried, but they wouldn't budge.

I should also mention that I have also had the equivalent of the Premiere package since then. Even when the premium channels were with Hughes, I subscribed to everything. But, I've never had a sports package. Not that I'm against them, I think DirecTV has the best, I just think I can get enough without them. And, yes I'm a sucker that pays for the sports channels, even though most of the interesting stuff is blacked out without the packages. So bring on the mocking........

Last edited:
Wow. Your bill after the discounts must be crazy high. I don't wanna pay more than $60.

I remember a long time ago when w/o discounts, a two TV DirecTV setup cost me $32 a month for Total Choice Plus.

I would wait another month till they actually announce these channels to make a decision on what to do.

Chances are Directv will announce 5 new channels, and DISH will come back and match it and or even beat it!

DISH may be the better choice for HD

Funny - the guy is already a happy D* customer - why should he change?. He is making absolutley the right decision IMO - D* will have many more HD channels than DISH by December - and going forward 6-12 months.

Yeah. And why would DTV spend millions on launching a new satellite just to announce "We launched it for no reason. We just felt like it. We now have HD capacity for 100 new channels, but don't feel like utilizing it"

While DISH, who has no more bandwidth, will say "Here are 5 more HD channels we scrummaged out of nowhere"

DTV is a better choice for HD and also SD channels I think. Thats just me :)

DISH - while currently having more HD channels than DirecTV is the one that is now doing the chasing as I see it.

Coincidence that they wait until now to migrate VOOM to MPEG4 in order to open up bandwidth for 6 more HD channels? Or just looking to steal some of the headlines that have been going in DirecTV's direction? The LATTER for sure. Why didn't they do this 6 months ago?

I predict a 30 or more HD channel advantage (even of you include VOOM for E*). Take away VOOM, include only more mainstream HD channels and the advantage could be close to 50 IMO and last for 6-12 months as I see it.

DISH - while currently having more HD channels than DirecTV is the one that is now doing the chasing as I see it.

Coincidence that they wait until now to migrate VOOM to MPEG4 in order to open up bandwidth for 6 more HD channels? Or just looking to steal some of the headlines that have been going in DirecTV's direction? The LATTER for sure. Why didn't they do this 6 months ago?

I predict a 30 or more HD channel advantage (even of you include VOOM for E*). Take away VOOM, include only more mainstream HD channels and the advantage could be close to 50 IMO and last for 6-12 months as I see it.
And D* was manufacturing the headlines for the last few months, hoping to hold onto HD subs with headlines, while E* was offering many more real HD channels. So, if PR is the way to keep your subs, then D* is leading the way.

With the new D* satellites, there will be a capacity advantage to D* for some number of months, probably fewer than the 24 months or so that they have been trailing. And after that, it will be a game of leapfrog between the two.

Yes - hasn't the DirecTV marketing and PR departments been doing a fantastic job? Even the cable executives in the video Scott offered admitted as much.

But it doesn't change the info in my post. It is now DISH chasing DirecTV. The advantage of the past (and still TODAY) won't mean a hill of beans when DirecTV lights up the airwaves starting in September. It appears more and more evident that DISH moves right now are in order to prevent subs from leaving starting next month.

And you are correct that DISH will catch up in 6-12 months in SOME areas. Remember they will NOT HAVE anywhere near the same type of sports offerings - and that will still be a major deficit in their lineup in the opinion of millions.

And yes, D* probably won't have VOOM - and that is a minor deficit for D* in comparison IMHO.

Yes - hasn't the DirecTV marketing and PR departments been doing a fantastic job? Even the cable executives in the video Scott offered admitted as much....
I was the first to give credit to D* for pushing the networks off the ledge, and starting the momentum toward massive new HD offerings.

But is it fair to slam E* for using press announcements of future HD, and praise D* for doing the same thing? :confused:

Who slammed them - I said they are now chasing DirecTV. I believe it to be the truth.

I have absolutely no problem with what they are doing, I am identifying it though as a reaction to their competition.

I wouldn't expect (or want) them to lay down and die.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)