New HD DVR

bedrock_123

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I recently purchase a HD DVR to replace my toshibi 3000, once I got everything hookend up, I have a great HD picture, but once a commercial comes on I get these ugly grey bars. I went into the setting to change the format to full but that did not work.

Also when I change my format on the front panel to 720p I just get a blank screen. Can someone explain to me whats going on with the grey bars and the blank screen when I change to format 720p?

Thanks
Leon:confused:

bedrock_123 said:
I recently purchase a HD DVR to replace my toshibi 3000, once I got everything hookend up, I have a great HD picture, but once a commercial comes on I get these ugly grey bars. I went into the setting to change the format to full but that did not work.
The grey bars are probably part of the signal. You can't always remove them.

Also when I change my format on the front panel to 720p I just get a blank screen. Can someone explain to me whats going on with the grey bars and the blank screen when I change to format 720p?

Is you TV capable of handeling a 720p signal? Some are not.

Until we get more HD commercials (Anyone else see the one for chevy / the Olympics during 'Las Vegas'?), the bars are here to stay.

If it really bothers you, your TV might have a button to let you zoom in during the commericals. Of course you'll have to zoom back out to enjoy the post-commercial HD picture.

I'd try to get used to the grey bars. With a 4x3 set we had the bars on the top and bottom for wide screen content.

With a 16x9 set we'll get 'pilars' on either side of 4x3 content on a HD channel.

It's really annoying if you are watching a letterboxed downconvert from HD on a 4:3 set. The commercials float in the middle of the screen with bars all the way around!

So this just must be a hd dvr equipment that's causing the bars, I never had this problem with my Toshiba HD receiver. The HD10 250 DVR could be designed to perform better as far as the bars are concerned.

Any HD receiver should do it if you are watching HD content.

The broadcasters dont' change the signal to 480i for the commercials, they just play the low quality content on the 1080i / 720p broadcast with bars.

I'm not sure how / why you didn't see the bars before, unless you weren't watching HD.

Shawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts