New HD Install on Saturday, have Q's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flipr

Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Appreciate the help, newbie here on this forum.

Been with DTV for a few years, just got new HD TV flat screen for past superbowl. Worked out an upgrade for DT HD service, installer is coming out Saturday. (they thought my personal owned Hughes equipment was leased! Wanted me to send it back!)

On the phone CSR told me they will install 2 cables to each receiver, so the HD DVR can record 2 programs instead of one.

Is that a MUST DO?

Can I use a Y splitter on the single LNB feed into the house to get the effect of 2 inputs?

Reason, in LR I wall mounted the TV over the fireplace, and snaked wires from the attic. I only installed 1 cable, which is diplexed for cable and satellite service. Components are installed on a tv stand about 6' away (running 15' cables hidden). I don't have a second cable coming in, and it appears the only way to install that second cable will be outside, and thru the wall, which I'm not real excited about.

Will new HD DVR receiver work with only 1 input from LNB?

I currently have cable and sat both feeding TV inputs so I can watch different channel than I record. My current DVR is old SD panasonic showstopper, which I will keep installed on cable side of things.

This house was wired very poorly to begin with, and it would be tough snaking in new wires to feed my system, especially for the second receiver in the bedroom. Cable drops are on opposite side of house, and my installs are on first floor.

TIA for any input, appreciate the help

Last edited:
I don't have a DVR, so someone else will have to confirm. But it's my understanding that the DVR can work with only one line. You just won't be able to record one program while watching another. The diplexer is going to be a problem though. Using the standard setup diplexing does not work with the MPEG4 channels. There is a work around, but I highly doubt that the D installer will do it since it's not aproved. The trick is to place the BBC in the line before the diplexer. Since the BBC is not an outdoor unit this is best done inside if possible. If it has to be done outside, tape the living hell out of it with electrical tape and maybe some duct tape as well. As I said, I doubt the installer will do this, so you most likley have to do it yourself after he leaves.

You need 2 lines in order to get full DVR capabilities. Its not like Cable where they can just use one input. Just hope that they actually COME on Saturday. Nearly every time I've had D* come out they've been delayed or postponed for some stupid reason.

Yes, currently for full DVR capability you will need 2 lines run to each DVR. You cannot split the line like you can with cable. D* is working on a single wire solution, but it's only in field testing right now. If you only install 1 line, you will not be able to watch one show and record another, nor will you be able to record 2 things at once.

While we're on the HD DVR subject, space is limited where my TV is, so for my current H20 I have it standing sideways. Will I be able to do the same thing with my HR20/21? I know it weighs more and gets hotter, but I don't really have any other place to put it. I can't put it under my TV seeing as it weighs nearly 100 lbs (that tv listed ain't an LCD.) I'm just worried about having to re-arrange my space (which isn't even the size of a dorm room.)

If the holes your single wire are running through are big enough, it shouldn't be much of a problem to run a double wire. I attached a double wire to my existing single wire line that ran from my basement to the upstairs bedroom and just pulled the wire up from the upstairs.

Thanks all for response

If the holes your single wire are running through are big enough, it shouldn't be much of a problem to run a double wire. I attached a double wire to my existing single wire line that ran from my basement to the upstairs bedroom and just pulled the wire up from the upstairs.

thanks all for the info.

New house had cable pre-wired, all the wires are stapled to studs, no basements in the south.

But I did fish wires in the chimney to handle the over-fireplace mounting of the TV. I ran a single wire and diplexed, guess I can open that back up and run 2 wires. I left a chaser back in place, and can split another cable connection inthe attic.

I want to keep cable to the TV's because C* doesn't realize they are giving me free Showtime and HBO, might loose that when they go digital shortly, but right now its an easy way to record different show than we are watching. That, and I'd like to keep my modem/router setup near the HD DVR and DVD player so they can connect to the internet.

I asked a vendor about the SWM-8 switch, they told me that can't handle cable, only OTA antenna, so that option is out. Sounds like another trip to the attic. Thats okay, didn't really like $400 price tag either.

We have 5 cable drops installed in house, 3 are cable only, 2 are diplexed with SD D* service, along with cable. Sounds like after upgrading to the new boxes, I just have to make different arrangements to get cable to the TV's where I'm installing satellite.

was thinking I could make installer run cable outside, but then they are punching holes in exterior, and that looks kinda junky in my opinion. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the help.

thanks all for the info.

New house had cable pre-wired, all the wires are stapled to studs, no basements in the south.

But I did fish wires in the chimney to handle the over-fireplace mounting of the TV. I ran a single wire and diplexed, guess I can open that back up and run 2 wires. I left a chaser back in place, and can split another cable connection inthe attic.

I want to keep cable to the TV's because C* doesn't realize they are giving me free Showtime and HBO, might loose that when they go digital shortly, but right now its an easy way to record different show than we are watching. That, and I'd like to keep my modem/router setup near the HD DVR and DVD player so they can connect to the internet.

I asked a vendor about the SWM-8 switch, they told me that can't handle cable, only OTA antenna, so that option is out. Sounds like another trip to the attic. Thats okay, didn't really like $400 price tag either.

We have 5 cable drops installed in house, 3 are cable only, 2 are diplexed with SD D* service, along with cable. Sounds like after upgrading to the new boxes, I just have to make different arrangements to get cable to the TV's where I'm installing satellite.

was thinking I could make installer run cable outside, but then they are punching holes in exterior, and that looks kinda junky in my opinion. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the help.

You won't be able to diplex with the new HD signal, it will require a dedicated line for each input you're using.

You won't be able to diplex with the new HD signal, it will require a dedicated line for each input you're using.

While not supported by D* it can be done. The important thing is that the BBC's are not weather rated so they need to be kept inside.

To do this the BBC needs to go inbetween the dish/multiswitch and the diplexer (dish/switch is used -> BBC -> Diplexer -> cable run ->Diplexor ->to STB DBS connection and OTA connection. Also make sure that the BBC connector is 'pointing' in the right direction (cable from dish/switch goes into the BBC, then the BBC connects to the diplexer). Just remember, this isn't a supported connection so if you run into any problems you need to remove it to see if it corrects the problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)