New HD Install W/ only 61.5 and 72

scsttrooper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Myrtle Beach, SC
My new HD install has a 1000.2 dish with a dual LNB. The new dish has two LNB "horns" that appear to be slightly larger and more elliptical than my previous 1000.2 HD dish. This dish is aimed at 61.5 and 72 where as my old dish was aimed at 110, 119, & 129 with a wing dish for 61.5. (my locals are in HD on 61.5)

My question is this... Am I able to receive all of the Dish Network programming (including HD content) from 61.5 and 72?

Thanks again forum members.

Yup. Your new LNB is called the EA.2 or the EA Twin. The only satellite that is missing is 77 which is only certain locals and Spanish programming. All English SD content is on 61.5 (alongside your HD locals) and all English HD content is on 72.7. There are a few rogue channels, but all channels are on one sat or the other.

In other words, you're not missing out on anything.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Not only getting everything, but possibly with a little better signal than had you been pointed at all three satellites.

Sounds GREAT!!! I figured with the slightly larger and LNBs - 1 LNB and the same size dish the signal "might" be better or at least not quite as susceptible to rain fade.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I have the old EA triple LNBf dish. Would it be worthwhile to update to the new EA Twin?

I have the 1000.4 eastern arc dish with triple lnb and I get signals in the 60s on 72.7 and 61.5 and on 77 sat I get around 40 - 50. I don't plan to change it for now. I can "move" to Little Rock Arkansas when I want and get that hd city on the 77 sat ,since it is on conus and not spotbeam.

AFAIK, in the old days of analog C Band, signal strength really mattered and you always tried to get the coldest lnb you could. In the digital age you either get a perfect picture or you get pixilization. So if you are getting a good, clear picture, your signal strength is good enough.

Sorta. With analog, signal strength mattered. With digital, signal quality matters. The higher the signal quality, the more room for variances such as the weather. Colder LNBs still get 2-5 points higher signal quality. For EA 61.5/72.7, the bare minimum on a clear sunny day is about 47 or so.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I have the 1000.4 eastern arc dish with triple lnb and I get signals in the 60s on 72.7 and 61.5 and on 77 sat I get around 40 - 50. I don't plan to change it for now. I can "move" to Little Rock Arkansas when I want and get that hd city on the 77 sat ,since it is on conus and not spotbeam.
Looks like I need to get Dish back out here, then. My clear day signals are a lot lower than that. Which Xponders do you look at for signal strength on each satellite?

Looks like I need to get Dish back out here, then. My clear day signals are a lot lower than that. Which Xponders do you look at for signal strength on each satellite?

For 61.5 it's 10, 14, 29, 31 (29 & 31 are out of service.) For 72.7 it's 15, 17, 19, 21. Minimum for those transponders should be 47.

I get mostly 48-50 on most 61.5 transponders, a few in the 60-62 range.
72.7 are almost all in the mid 50s.
77 gets the highest, in the 60-70 range.

I wonder if my dish needs to be tweaked in order to minimize rain fade on the main satellites, since 77 isn't being used unless I move to a CONUS local (or my actual locals).

I got curious last night and rechecked all my signal strengths for all 3 sats and I found the 77 sat must of been replaced with a new one or they turned up the signal. I am getting a low of 64 and a high of 78 now. The 72.7 sat has stayed about the same as it was before and I noticed the 61.5 sat had moved my locals to another spotbeam than they were before. The sad thing is that there is nothing on the 77 sat now that I use ,even though the strength is so much higher now.

77 uses QPSK modulation so that's why the numbers are higher than the other two.

Another plus of having all 3 sats,if one of them goes out you still have 77 as a backup.Wasn't it 72.7 that had an outage last year,or sometime back?They moved several channels to 77 until they got 72.7 back.

Another plus of having all 3 sats,if one of them goes out you still have 77 as a backup.Wasn't it 72.7 that had an outage last year,or sometime back?They moved several channels to 77 until they got 72.7 back.

Yah I remember that. I remember the 129 outage too. They moved some stuff to 110.

77 uses QPSK modulation so that's why the numbers are higher than the other two.

They weren't running that Qpsk modulation before this year? I used to get such low numbers from 40 - 55 only. Now it is high like the 119 satellite dish that is hooked into my eastern arc dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)