New HD Installation

The Ray

Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I've been reading this forum for a few days now, but just now posting...

I purchased my first HDTV a couple of weeks ago, and just got off the phone with Dish Network. They offered me a decent deal...comes out to be pretty much even, with the mail-in redemptions.

But...after reading some horror stories online, I asked about contacting the installer directly, to make sure they're aware of what they need to do here. I don't want to miss work, only to hear that their work order is wrong, and they have to come back another day. Is there any way for me to get the info on who the subcontractor is?

Also, the woman on the phone said that I do not need a new dish, per se. She said that since I already have a dish, all they'll need to do is switch out some parts for it, and presumably re-aim it. Then I should get all the HD channels.

Is this true? I thought I would need an oval-shaped "SuperDish", or something like that, and that the current Dish 500 wouldn't work. When I moved here, there was already a dish attached to the building, but they had to completely switch it out, saying that it wouldn't work with my receiver.

Also, I believe the dish currently points at 110 and 119. Is it that much of a move to get it aimed at the proper satellite? I'm hoping it's not in the opposite direction, or blocked by a tree, or something like that.

I've been reading this forum for a few days now, but just now posting...

I purchased my first HDTV a couple of weeks ago, and just got off the phone with Dish Network. They offered me a decent deal...comes out to be pretty much even, with the mail-in redemptions.

But...after reading some horror stories online, I asked about contacting the installer directly, to make sure they're aware of what they need to do here. I don't want to miss work, only to hear that their work order is wrong, and they have to come back another day. Is there any way for me to get the info on who the subcontractor is?

Also, the woman on the phone said that I do not need a new dish, per se. She said that since I already have a dish, all they'll need to do is switch out some parts for it, and presumably re-aim it. Then I should get all the HD channels.

Is this true? I thought I would need an oval-shaped "SuperDish", or something like that, and that the current Dish 500 wouldn't work. When I moved here, there was already a dish attached to the building, but they had to completely switch it out, saying that it wouldn't work with my receiver.

Also, I believe the dish currently points at 110 and 119. Is it that much of a move to get it aimed at the proper satellite? I'm hoping it's not in the opposite direction, or blocked by a tree, or something like that.

Most existing dish installations require a dish upgrade. The Dish 1000 hasn't been out so long that there are a lot of them already sitting on houses. As long as there is clear LOS where the dish is at, a dish 1000.2 should work (119, 110, 129). Worst case scenario would be a secondary dish for the 61.5 satellite, which also carries HD programming, as a substitute for the sometimes hard to hit 129 (it sits low in the sky for my area compared to 119, 110).

As far as making sure the workorder is correct, call customer service, verify your order, receiver models, etc. Then you can research exactly what you are getting via dishnetwork.com. Or, we are always here to answer questions =)

Thanks. She did say I was getting the 622...I specifically asked to confirm this. My concern is that the installers are going to show up and not have a new dish with them...is that possible, or will they be prepared? I asked if I needs a new dish...she said no, just some new parts. Mentioned an LNB, I believe. Apparently, she was wrong...could her inaccurate information have made it into the work order?

the installer should see whats allready there on the w/o I know when i wanted to add a hd reciever they said i'd need a new dish, i mentioned i allready had a 100.2 and she loked and saw that and agreed. you should get a call a day or 2 before nd go over it with u, in ohio its digital dish. u should get a DNSC techi f u whent straight through dish directly, u'll get a sub if its a att/ilec combined billed install for the first/new install then should be dnsc after that unless they dont have one avail, then the RSP (Digital Dish here in ohio) will send out a sub to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)