New HD is here

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It's 2020 HD is pretty well mainstream by now, I think it's high time ALL TV channels should broadcast in HD at least.

Does anybody remember when TV Channels transitioned from B&W to Color? I remember B&W Channels when I was about 5 or 6
then Color TV started happening, but I don't know if you bought a Color TV were some channels still broadcasting in B&W?
I remember when we got our first color TV. Only a few shows were actually broadcast in color everything else was still in black and white. And yes, NBC, one of the first to broacast in color only had one channel for B&W or color.
If anyone had told my father that he would have to pay a monthly fee to watch TV, I can visualize him throwing that large counsel TV out of the house. He did spring for a n antenna on a high mast and a filter to prevent the neighbors ham antenna, which literally reached over the top of our antenna, from overpowering our TV channels.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Luckily I get TV Land in HD with my other provider, Spectrum, with its TV Choice streaming package.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
The problem for me is that there are NO DVR services with that fairly decent options of Streaming only from Spectrum. The deal breaker or deal maker for me is often DVR. I'll also add that Spectrum in my area is limited to DVR's with 2 tuners and no Whole Home solutions. I did the multiple DVR PAIN back before the Hoppers, and it was costly (multiple DVR fees and upgraded fees on the box because they were DVR's) and a PAIN to maintain consistency of content on each DVR so that I could whatch the same recordings on any DVR in the house. TiVo does at least have either the recording Transfer to another DVR or the Stream from one DVR to either another DVR or a client (I will not get into TE4 and how that BREAKS recording transfers involving older Series TiVo's), but no such feature with Spectrum. So, for now, Spectrum is just not a competitive option for me, but I sure wish it was because I won't even consider DirecTV today.

Reactions: pattykay
The problem for me is that there are NO DVR services with that fairly decent options of Streaming only from Spectrum. The deal breaker or deal maker for me is often DVR. I'll also add that Spectrum in my area is limited to DVR's with 2 tuners and no Whole Home solutions. I did the multiple DVR PAIN back before the Hoppers, and it was costly (multiple DVR fees and upgraded fees on the box because they were DVR's) and a PAIN to maintain consistency of content on each DVR so that I could whatch the same recordings on any DVR in the house. TiVo does at least have either the recording Transfer to another DVR or the Stream from one DVR to either another DVR or a client (I will not get into TE4 and how that BREAKS recording transfers involving older Series TiVo's), but no such feature with Spectrum. So, for now, Spectrum is just not a competitive option for me, but I sure wish it was because I won't even consider DirecTV today.

What are you talking about? I get a Cloud DVR. It has a limit of 50 stored recordings, but I do have one.

I should also add that my Spectrum streaming I really don’t have a limit on how many shows I can record simultaneously, but like I said, it has a 50 shows recording limit. After that it just records over the oldest recordings. I did call Spectrum a few times that I’d pay more to get more recording storage, but that’s all they offer at this time. And if you get the actual cable service you can still go the TiVo route. And if you still need Spectrum On-Demand, you can get a Roku and use the Spectrum app.

What are you talking about? I get a Cloud DVR. It has a limit of 50 stored recordings, but I do have one.

I am talking about the last mailer I got that offered no DVR option. Further, there are reviews of the Spectrum Streaming option witn NO DVR OPTION. Since Spectrum is an MSO, perhaps the Cloud DVR option is based upon area. If that has changed from just a few months--No LAST WEEK, then good. MSO's are notrious for having different plants (some not upgraded or others partially upgraded in different ways than other areas) equipment and even whole home options that are available in one of there service areas, but not others, and my local Spectrum has done hardly anything on the TV service for DECADES and even Spectrum employees at the office have no idea of ANY Whole Home solutions coming to our area--if EVER. I am glad you get cloud DVR from Spectrum (it is not the only thing other people in other Spectrum service areas get or have an option to get that I do not), but spectrum is not national standards like DirectTV or Dish.

In the future it would be wise to avoid such phrases as, "What are you talking about?" that only communicate ignorance due to the assumption that what is the case in ONE Spectrum service area is also true in ANOTHER Spectrum service area (I live in a metro area where a number of Spectrum service areas have quite different experiences all within just miles of each other)--and I was down at the shiny new sales office just last month and discussed all this and more and played with their adequate (but no Hopper3 by any means) 2 TUNER DVR. With Spectrum I would need a DVR (only 2 Tuners avialable in MY area) for FIVE rooms. That would be hella expensive and not very functional to what I have with Dish today, and people on the household could not handle such a Spectrum 1 DVR for each of the 5 rooms.TiVo could make better sense to use with Spectrum, but Spectrum (along with other MSO's) are making it almost impossible to get TiVo's on their systems and I don't want to deal with the Tuner Adapter nightmare!

So, next time you can start with, "In my Spectrum area, I get cloud DVR with the Streaming Only package that requires the use of apps to access programming. Maybe things have changed in your Spectrum area since you last checked, and you can get cloud DVR, too." That statement would make a person sound of HELP rather than a statement like "What are you talking about?" that befits a line one might expect from "The Taming of the Shrew"

And, finally, as crodrules suggested: a lousy 50 recordings cloud DVR is not at all a proper option to me and others in the household. That is simply the way we use the DVR in the house. We have FAR, FAR more than 50 recordings, and content on a locally recorded DVR can stay so FOREVER as long as I have a Dish account and external HDD's for archival because sometimes we can't get to a recording for MONTHS--even a full YEAR. But thanks for the attempt at to rudely inform me.

I am talking about the last mailer I got that offered no DVR option. Further, there are reviews of the Spectrum Streaming option witn NO DVR OPTION. Since Spectrum is an MSO, perhaps the Cloud DVR option is based upon area. If that has changed from just a few months--No LAST WEEK, then good. MSO's are notrious for having different plants (some not upgraded or others partially upgraded in different ways than other areas) equipment and even whole home options that are available in one of there service areas, but not others, and my local Spectrum has done hardly anything on the TV service for DECADES and even Spectrum employees at the office have no idea of ANY Whole Home solutions coming to our area--if EVER. I am glad you get cloud DVR from Spectrum (it is not the only thing other people in other Spectrum service areas get or have an option to get that I do not), but spectrum is not national standards like DirectTV or Dish.

In the future it would be wise to avoid such phrases as, "What are you talking about?" that only communicate ignorance due to the assumption that what is the case in ONE Spectrum service area is also true in ANOTHER Spectrum service area (I live in a metro area where a number of Spectrum service areas have quite different experiences all within just miles of each other)--and I was down at the shiny new sales office just last month and discussed all this and more and played with their adequate (but no Hopper3 by any means) 2 TUNER DVR. With Spectrum I would need a DVR (only 2 Tuners avialable in MY area) for FIVE rooms. That would be hella expensive and not very functional to what I have with Dish today, and people on the household could not handle such a Spectrum 1 DVR for each of the 5 rooms.TiVo could make better sense to use with Spectrum, but Spectrum (along with other MSO's) are making it almost impossible to get TiVo's on their systems and I don't want to deal with the Tuner Adapter nightmare!

So, next time you can start with, "In my Spectrum area, I get cloud DVR with the Streaming Only package that requires the use of apps to access programming. Maybe things have changed in your Spectrum area since you last checked, and you can get cloud DVR, too." That statement would make a person sound of HELP rather than a statement like "What are you talking about?" that befits a line one might expect from "The Taming of the Shrew"

And, finally, as crodrules suggested: a lousy 50 recordings cloud DVR is not at all a proper option to me and others in the household. That is simply the way we use the DVR in the house. We have FAR, FAR more than 50 recordings, and content on a locally recorded DVR can stay so FOREVER as long as I have a Dish account and external HDD's for archival because sometimes we can't get to a recording for MONTHS--even a full YEAR. But thanks for the attempt at to rudely inform me.

You must have read old reviews. They added the limited 50 recording Cloud DVR everywhere they have the streaming plan since then. Read newer reviews and you’d know that. And with the Cloud DVR, you can record many shows at the same time. If you go straight cable with them, you can always go TiVo. May I add that I wasn’t being rude, I was just asking a question.

I also interpreted edisonprime's post as simply asking a question, not being rude. I read the "What are you talking about?" as being more like "Could you please elaborate?" rather than as an accusatory "You don't know what you're talking about." So, the complaints about rudeness are a bit out-of-line. Otherwise, good post, DishSubLA. :thumbup It is important to remember that options from the same cable company may vary widely in different service areas. However, it is also important to remember that perhaps not everyone reading this forum would know that, since this is the Dish Network section, not the cable section of the forum. So, a little more patience, and understanding the need to explain such things, may be in order. Thanks.

Reactions: edisonprime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)