New HD is UP

How is Dish able to continually add more and more HD each month without any more birds being launched?
Compression has something to do with it, but a large part of it comes from having a lot of Ku capacity driven at relatively high levels. Ka capacity doesn't yield quite as well as Ku capacity as it requires more error correction.

Dish is also using a different encoding scheme that seems to yield better as well.

Another big win comes from transitioning to MPEG4 on the Eastern Arc.

So they were able to free up transponders that were originally used for other things?

No, 129 had room for the WA folks. 61.5 didn't have room but 72 had plenty of room. But due to the old setups of 110/119/61.5 holding them back they couldn't add it. So if you add them to 72 & 129 and force the people to use pure arc setups(like it should have been in the first place...but thats another discussion).

Here's a lil more detailed list.

115/9428 Style
121/9525 History International
132/9523 TCM
190/9445 National Geographic Wild
191/9408 G4
202/9524 Headline News

375 Shorts HD
380 EPIX

Thanks. List makes easier to lock out all the SD of the above channels so my guide doesn't get bloated. They still need to add the HD-RSNs since they have much more HD content now.

I don't see any mention of CCofBB in the guide for Epix.

I should also note that the VOD aspect of Epix isn't set up for DISH Network subscribers yet (assuming that is the plan).

For those who are having problems finding it, the uri is http://www.epixhd.com

My jury is still out on TCM HD. With movie being show currently (old and soft), I can't tell any difference from the SD channel.

From the little I saw of TCM HD this morning, they aren't "really" in HD. It is a bad (really bad) upconvert of the SD signal. It still looks better than the SD, but only just... This will change eventually, I hope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts