New HD offerings and Directv 7s (119)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kmcallis1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Was wondering if anyone thinks they will move the current HD offerings on Directv 7s 119 degrees to the new satellites? I have LOS issues with 119 and would be all for it. The OTA Networks I am not interested in since I get the locals anyway in HD

Any info or opinions are appreciated.

I don't think the current HD channels will be moving to the new satellites any time soon. DirecTV would have to get everyone upgraded to the 5LNB dish and that is going to take some time.

According to the DTV blurb at CES, supposedly by the end of '07 the MPEG 2 streams will be turned off.

All HD would then move from the 119 and 110 sats to the new birds launched at 99 and 103, and to MPEG-4 encoding, forcing the remainder of D*'s customer base to migrate to the new dish/MPEG-4 capable receivers.

It's my (purely speculative) belief that D* will sell its 110 and 119 licenses to E* and concentrate everything on 99, 101 and 103, where it owns all of the transponder licenses, unlike 110 and 119.

It's my (purely speculative) belief that D* will sell its 110 and 119 licenses to E* and concentrate everything on 99, 101 and 103, where it owns all of the transponder licenses, unlike 110 and 119.

Maybe 110 but I don't see D* giving up the 119, just too hard to get spots on CONUS coverage.

According to the DTV blurb at CES, supposedly by the end of '07 the MPEG 2 streams will be turned off.

All HD would then move from the 119 and 110 sats to the new birds launched at 99 and 103, and to MPEG-4 encoding, forcing the remainder of D*'s customer base to migrate to the new dish/MPEG-4 capable receivers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if they do turn off all MPEG2 HD streams from 101,110, and 119, why can't the MPEG4 codec be transmitted via the Ku band frequencies at those same locations? Satellites shouldn't care what the compression methods are. Wouldn't it just be some simple FCC licensing approval; if that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if they do turn off all MPEG2 HD streams from 101,110, and 119, why can't the MPEG4 codec be transmitted via the Ku band frequencies at those same locations? Satellites shouldn't care what the compression methods are. Wouldn't it just be some simple FCC licensing approval; if that.

You are correct, the satellite doesn't care, it's just all one's and zero's to it.

Boy a whole nation of Spanish speaking customers will march on El Segundo, ca. and burn the building down if they dropped the 119.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)