New HD on D* in true HD at full rezz?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I cannot see any difference from OTA and D* on my locals, so why should the other new channels be any different? More than enough "rez" for my eyes. I watch TV for the shows, instead of watching my TV.

No need to YOU said it was excellent. (And your the hardest member we have to make happy)

So if you says its good, then it must be good!

(Or are you doubting your own judgement) :D
StarzHD looks good, its at least 1440x1080i. But some of it doesnt look as good as starzHD, camera work, film stock, outdoor lighting etc have something to do with it. I have never stated that anything was full resolution without proof and I also questioned if I had just been HDlite starved for so long by D* that anything would look better than the downrezzed 1280 x 1080i. There is a difference between looking good and being true HD 1920x1080i. Given D*'s past history everything may be 1440x1080i. Since I dont have a known source to do comparisons with, I can't call it for sure. I am certainly not going to run around saying its full resolution without any real proof. And that proof needs to be more than a file header too. D* has been mislabeling those for years now.

I just got a chance to see USAHD and it looks very sharp too. The RedSox on TBSHD look as good as FOXHD OTA IMO. I dont have numbers but D* is looking very good. Certainly no one is going to complain about this.

Last edited:
I know I cannot prove anything but I've had Comcast for almost two years up until a couple of weeks ago and my Comcast area has great HD picture quality too. So with that said I just went down to my local Comcast office and picked up an HD DVR and added all programming services for one month to compare. I will just pay the extra cost for it for one month. I've only ordered Starz and Cinemax though for premiums.

So far the Starz East and Cinemax East feeds look exactly the same on Comcast and DirecTV. If anything I've noticed a very very slight stutter in very fast moving scenes on the Comcast feed that isn't present on the DirecTv MPEG4 feed. So for the time being I'm leaning on the side that the new DirecTV MPEG4 HD is just as good and maybe a very small tad bit better than Comcast here. Also my Comcast system is an 860Mhz cable system that now has CNN HD and TBS HD along with all other Comcast HD national channels.

Thanks for the comparison, Longhorn. I'm considering the switch from C* to D*, myself. We would really miss OnDemand. But, if there is enough add'l HD, with PQ as good as or better than C*, combined with lower cost, it will be worth considering.

I just have to wait until they add TVJapan, which will be soon, according to an email I got from D*, after I inquired about it.

"Over the course of the next several months, we expect to begin carrying international programming in German, Japanese and French."

I think all the new channels look great. Good job DirecTV. I know now that I will not switch from DirecTV now or any time future. In my eyes, they came through and the wait was well worth it.

I think all the new channels look great. Good job DirecTV. I know now that I will not switch from DirecTV now or any time future. In my eyes, they came through and the wait was well worth it.

We all have to admit that this was a complete 180 degree turnaround for DirecTV!:D:D:D:D:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

Oh and I hope you noticed I used 180 degree turnaround and "not" a 360 degree turnaround lol....:D:D:D:D:D

DirecTV may have done many things wrong but they are very close now to really and I mean really making it right. I consider DirecTV a different company today compared to two years ago. I feel they are working much harder to keep customers, get new customers and trying to entice returning customers who left with a bad taste in their mouth. Beyond the above they are giving us Amazing picture quality on the new MPEG4 HD channels (without really having to admit they were offering bad picture quality before) while also doing something that we all have begged any company todo since Voom. That would be adding nearly every fricking HDTV channel in sight.

From my point of view I could care less what DirecTV has done in the past as in my view it only matters now what they do today and into the future. DirecTV I'm just going to say you have the right idea now and keep doing it is all I can say.

Thanks for the comparison, Longhorn. I'm considering the switch from C* to D*, myself. We would really miss OnDemand. But, if there is enough add'l HD, with PQ as good as or better than C*, combined with lower cost, it will be worth considering.

I just have to wait until they add TVJapan, which will be soon, according to an email I got from D*, after I inquired about it.

"Over the course of the next several months, we expect to begin carrying international programming in German, Japanese and French."

D* is currently beta testing their Directv On Demand system. Myself and other CE testers have it right now on our HR20 receivers.

I don't think DirecTv is any different of a company than it's ever been. They got better cuz they HAD TO. Cable got better because they HAD TO. Dish Network increased their numbers because they had the better picture & package price than the other 2 providers. It's all about capitalism, DirecTv didn't have a choice but to upgrade their crappy service. And the reason I'm here is because they did! As far as the MPEG-4 pictures being 1920 x 1080, I'm not going to believe it by just hearing it from here but frankly I really don't care anyways. It's a damn good picture and it competes with the HD from my 4DTV receiver/HDD-200 decoder so I'm more than happy with it. Anyone who's complaining about these new HD channles really needs to get a grip,,,, :hatsoff:

Robin

We all have to admit that this was a complete 180 degree turnaround for DirecTV!:D:D:D:D:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

Oh and I hope you noticed I used 180 degree turnaround and "not" a 360 degree turnaround lol....:D:D:D:D:D

DirecTV may have done many things wrong but they are very close now to really and I mean really making it right. I consider DirecTV a different company today compared to two years ago. I feel they are working much harder to keep customers, get new customers and trying to entice returning customers who left with a bad taste in their mouth. Beyond the above they are giving us Amazing picture quality on the new MPEG4 HD channels (without really having to admit they were offering bad picture quality before) while also doing something that we all have begged any company todo since Voom. That would be adding nearly every fricking HDTV channel in sight.

From my point of view I could care less what DirecTV has done in the past as in my view it only matters now what they do today and into the future. DirecTV I'm just going to say you have the right idea now and keep doing it is all I can say.
I understand your excitement and everyone elses. But given D*'s past lets not assume that all of this is for "customer satisfaction" and increased HD PQ. It may just be a stop along the way of completing that "360" turn but only with 150 downrezzed channels. It is quite possible that they could go right back to where they were. Probably inevitably since D* is all about making the most money out of the bandwidth they have. This means that yes in a year or two PQ will be right back where it was. SO is it worth it to switch to D* today? I say yes even if its only for a couple of years. Enjoy the better PQ for a year to 18 months but it probably wont last.

Source please?

IIRC, HDNet (and the other channels in the 70's) are still being beamed from older sat's which only are capable of MPEG2. At some point, I would imagine that they will migrate the signal to D10 (or D11) so that they can offer it as MPEG4. That will open up more space for legacy channels and they can keep adding those "crap" channels that get them more income, all the while they can continue to offer more/better HD on the newer birds in MPEG4.

And before you ask, I am stating this from memory not from a fact sheet ;)

IIRC, HDNet (and the other channels in the 70's) are still being beamed from older sat's which only are capable of MPEG2. At some point, I would imagine that they will migrate the signal to D10 (or D11) so that they can offer it as MPEG4. That will open up more space for legacy channels and they can keep adding those "crap" channels that get them more income, all the while they can continue to offer more/better HD on the newer birds in MPEG4.

And before you ask, I am stating this from memory not from a fact sheet ;)
I know that, we all do. What I wanted was a source for the "Full resolution" statement. There has been no proof of it. PS the older sats are capable of mpeg4. The satellite doesnt care what the compression method is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)