New HD or SD channels?(Possible New SD Channels: USA, FoxSports East, Ohio & Bay Area

What's the point in 3 RSN's? For 90% of us, all the sports will be blacked out. If they aren't going to roll out all the RSN's (FoxSports and Comcast Sports Nets) then why bother?

Do you ever say anything positive?

vurbano said:
I dont expect any new channels until the end of the year. I believe voom will add nothing until then. I believe the bandwidth is used up. I think the october leases will be relatively useless unless we all have dish and equipment upgrades. I predict Voom will drop the ball on that like they have in sales,billing, advertising, programming, PQ , OTA, Installation and almost every aspect of this venture. They need to be on our roofs now installing the new dishes . If leases and wm9 are to be used in october they will never make it by then. Look for something in January.

Seawaves said:
Dude- do a google search on your suppostion, you may re-think the old HD DVD thing, lol.

So what is the point of the HD connections on the back of a DVD Player. Enlighten me - I must be ignorant (not knowledgeable) about such things.

They are not known as "HD connections" but component outputs because they do not transfer just HD signals. They are the same connections you use to transfer HD signals such as 720p or 1080i. As of now DVD players can only output 480i or 480p through the component output. There are DVD players that can upconvert to signals to 720p or 1080i, but they are not HD.

z71tahoe193 said:
They are not known as "HD connections" but component outputs because they do not transfer just HD signals. They are the same connections you use to transfer HD signals such as 720p or 1080i. As of now DVD players can only output 480i or 480p through the component output. There are DVD players that can upconvert to signals to 720p or 1080i, but they are not HD.

Check out the Skyworth 3050 hd-DVD player. I've had one for 2 weeks and its fantastic. Even comes with 2 HD DVD's even though they are in Chinese. :D

I know WM9 is supposed to help, I would still think that WM9 with 10mbps would still suck, so whatever Voom has to do.

Well, from the numbers I've seen, it only takes WM9 8 mbps to equal MPEG-2 at 24 mbps. I don't know what Voom is averaging now with MPEG(I've seen some suggest around 14 mbps), but at 10 or 12 mbps, I would expect WM9 encoded material to be considerably better than what we are seeing now.

So see--things are looking up. :)

Vergilius said:
Well, from the numbers I've seen, it only takes WM9 8 mbps to equal MPEG-2 at 24 mbps. I don't know what Voom is averaging now with MPEG(I've seen some suggest around 14 mbps), but at 10 or 12 mbps, I would expect WM9 encoded material to be considerably better than what we are seeing now.

So see--things are looking up. :)
voom averages 12 under mpeg2. They will NOT stay at 12 though. They want to add channels using WM9 and the real dissapointing part is that no one can confirm that they want to improve the HD picture quality above what we have now. So they might run 6 mbps under Wm9? and we get the same picture we have now? no WOW?

Are you really that dissatisfied with the quality now? I'm new to Voom, but not to HD, and for the most part the picture quality is great. Sure, it would be nice if there was no pre-filtering and excessive compression, but that's just the way it works in any real world delivery system.

Most HD TVs cannot display full resolution as it is, although that could change with some of the new digital displays, so the signal we are receiving is probably at most set's limits resolution-wise. It wouldn't take much more bandwidth to clean up some of the artifacts on some of the channels.

Just because they haven't confirmed they want to improve quality, doesn't mean they won't. Besides, where are you going to go from Voom, if you're not happy with the picture quality? You're only choice for better quality is DVHS, IMO, or only arguably, slightly better quality, but alot less channels with one of the other satellite providers.

They can still run at 8 mbps and likely give us the same quality we'll get for HD-DVD.

I have my own complaints about Voom, see my other thread about dropping them.

However, I will say this again, if you have a problem with Vooms HD quality then something must be wrong with your equipment.

I've had OTA from 3 different STB's, DTV HD, seen Comcast and Dish HD on an identical TV to mine(60" Sony LCD), and have a 1080i scaling DVD player.

Voom has superior/equal picture quality, maybe not in CBS OTA but thats one channel.

Eric_C said:
However, I will say this again, if you have a problem with Vooms HD quality then something must be wrong with your equipment.
Sorry, Eric_C, 60" is just not big enough to see the fine pattern of noise on most Voom channels. You are welcome to drop by my house any day and do a direct comparison of DiscoveryHD or ESPNHD vs Dish Network. Dish wins hands down any day, any time, any program. :yes

Why is it I only see noise and soft images on VOOM? Why is HDNET sharp as a tack on the same projector? There's nothing wrong with my equipment that a higher bitrate can't fix. ;)

vurbano said:
voom averages 12 under mpeg2. They will NOT stay at 12 though. They want to add channels using WM9 and the real dissapointing part is that no one can confirm that they want to improve the HD picture quality above what we have now. So they might run 6 mbps under WM9? and we get the same picture we have now? no WOW?

SO you think they are adding another Satellite in the sky and going to WM9 to keep the same PQ? Somehow I think this logic is flawed, I think if they do not compress like this they can't offer as many channels. The PQ during the Tyson fight was pretty damn good, and with all the feedback on PQ issues on this forum and e-mails that myself and others here have sent, that Voom would keep the PQ as bad as possible. That's like saying Voom has a way of putting INHD on, and they just don't because they couldn't possibly want more things to use for marketing.

If they keep the current PQ after changing codecs, I'm dropping Voom like a hot potato. Maybe for the average Voom viewer, PQ is fine, but at 110", Voom is not what it should be. The execs at Voom should buy a good projector and monitor their channels, then they can see how much noise they are broadcasting. They should provide a picture that all subs will enjoy, not just those with a 42" screen size or less.

I'm with vurbano, Voom does not have the WOW on any channels. People say how HDN has excellent PQ, well that's because there is no movement. I can still see a small bit of mosquito noise on HDN as well. All channels have it, some are worse than others.

DarrellP said:
If they keep the current PQ after changing codecs, I'm dropping Voom like a hot potato. Maybe for the average Voom viewer, PQ is fine, but at 110", Voom is not what it should be. The execs at Voom should buy a good projector and monitor their channels, then they can see how much noise they are broadcasting. They should provide a picture that all subs will enjoy, not just those with a 42" screen size or less.

Sorry to disappoint you DarrellP but there is no way that Voom will tweak their system to cater to people with 110" screens. It would be a dumb business decision to spend their resources on getting rid of effects that are apparent only on screens larger than, say, 65".

andrzej said:
Sorry to disappoint you DarrellP but there is no way that Voom will tweak their system to cater to people with 110" screens. It would be a dumb business decision to spend their resources on getting rid of effects that are apparent only on screens larger than, say, 65".
Why not? Dish does it. All vurbano and I are asking for is a pure HD picture that is noise free as it should be delivered. If they can't do that, they will lose a lot of customers. I guess they expect to pick up all the J6P's that are just buying HDTV sets and don't know any better. :no

Oh well, I can always enjoy my pristine OTA HD for free. :D And my $17/month Dish HD Package. :yes

Are you connected to your projector with Dish (when you had it) and Voom using component or DVI?

DarrellP said:
Why not? Dish does it. All vurbano and I are asking for is a pure HD picture that is noise free as it should be delivered. If they can't do that, they will lose a lot of customers....

I disagree. They will lose (maybe) you and Vurbano and a few others. Most Voom'ers are fine. Hey, it's only TV after all. :)

Dvlos said:
Are you connected to your projector with Dish (when you had it) and Voom using component or DVI?
I still have Dish on Component and I'm using Component for both stb's since DVI has too much noise with Voom. The DVI looks a tad sharper than Component but it also accentuates the noise so I switched to Component. I can do an immediate comparison between the same channel on Voom & Dish and the Dish channel is far superior to Voom, though that may be changing in the not too distant future since Dish is mucking around with 3 channels/transponder as well. HDNET Movies has gone soft over the last few weeks as has DiscoveryHD but it still looks better than Voom. With HDNET, there is no comparison, Component on Dish looks better than any Voom channel on DVI.

Dvlos said:
SO you think they are adding another Satellite in the sky and going to WM9 to keep the same PQ? Somehow I think this logic is flawed, I think if they do not compress like this they can't offer as many channels. The PQ during the Tyson fight was pretty damn good, and with all the feedback on PQ issues on this forum and e-mails that myself and others here have sent, that Voom would keep the PQ as bad as possible. That's like saying Voom has a way of putting INHD on, and they just don't because they couldn't possibly want more things to use for marketing.
you think they are adding another satellite to the sky? I thought it was called leases. And yes I do not think there intentions are to improve PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)