New HD package question...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

htpc_man

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Springfield, MO
I have been reading about the new 20 buck HD package.. Will dish still offer a package with out the Voom channels... I dont see any content I want to see in the voom channels..

Only if you don't upgrade your receiver to MPEG4 and use the HD receiver you have now with the current programming (should be good for about a year until everything changes to MPEG4)

Otherwise the new metalic packs include all HD programming for around $20. I personally like Rave, Kung Fu, and Monsters. I am looking forward to Family Theater, also.

Scott

teachsac said:
Otherwise the new metalic packs include all HD programming for around $20.
Scott

Sounds like the channel bundling that Charlie objects to when the content providers do it to him. I don't have any use for the VOOM junk and no way will the wife allow us to toss down another $120/year for a bunch of garbage channels we wouldn't watch anyway.

I'll bet it's closer to 3 years before all the HD changes over to MPEG-4. Longer for all (note, "all") the SD to change over.

I've read where Voom is now requiring it's 15 channels to be part of any basic HD package, not a separate tier. So E* has no choice. People that don't upgrade to include the new HD channels will probably be OK until all HD is shifted over to MPEG-4. Then I'll bet they need to sub to the metallic packages. Everyone moving to MPEG-4 receivers will only have the option of the metallic packages, no option to not take Voom.

Frankly, most of the Top 180 I subscribe to now, I NEVER watch. So why should HD be any different?

I'm not going to MPEG4 until I am required to, simply because I do not want to pay an extra $10 a month for channels I won't even watch(voom).

"Sounds like the channel bundling that Charlie objects to when the content providers do it to him."

"I've read where Voom is now requiring it's 15 channels to be part of any basic HD package, not a separate tier."

How quickly we turn on the good guy, huh Carl?

And knowing this, I am now peeved that echostar contracted with VOOM. Since when is any premium movie service contractually MANDATORY for a basic tier? This is a new level of greed by the channel providers. Talk about forced bundling of product...

iKramerica said:
"Sounds like the channel bundling that Charlie objects to when the content providers do it to him."

"I've read where Voom is now requiring it's 15 channels to be part of any basic HD package, not a separate tier."

How quickly we turn on the good guy, huh Carl?

And knowing this, I am now peeved that echostar contracted with VOOM. Since when is any premium movie service contractually MANDATORY for a basic tier? This is a new level of greed by the channel providers. Talk about forced bundling of product...

Did we forget that Echostar owns part of VOOM?

Well the new HD Plan that start in Feb the Bronze,Sliver,Gold,Plat will include the Voom Channels. Plus the 5 new ones they add in Feb like ESPN2HD plus your locals in HD if you live in a market where Dish will offer them and so on. I think the only HD channels not included are the moive ones. Like HBOHD and ShowtimeHD which you already half to subscribe to those to get them. Everything else you should be albe to get all the other HD Channels in the new HD Plans. I will be on the HD Sliver plan which is the AT120 plus all the HD excpect the Movie Channels like HBO and Showtime. This is the way I understand it and someone had posted a picture of the new plans which shows what channels you get.

iKramerica said:

That was the deal from the very beginning... the 10 channel plan was just a temporary deal to keep the name alive while they regrouped and signed some carriage deals. Technically, the deal was for all 21 channels. They have made that deal with FIOS as well, and possibly some other cable companies. This is NOT new information.

And VOOM is not a "Premium Movie Service", at least not under the generally accepted definition. It is more along the lines of TCM or Fox Movies. And only 33% of it is movies anyway. It has news, sports, educational programming, kids shows, ect...all the sorts of things you expect to see in a basic package. The VOOM channels were always part of the most basic service level on the stand-alone VOOM system.

It's actually an attractive deal for any system that has the bandwidth to spare...an instant variety lineup for a few bucks a month. One contract to sign, one bill to pay. What sounds more attractive to new subscribers...5-7 channels for $10 or 25-30 channels for $20?

BrianMis said:
Did we forget that Echostar owns part of VOOM?

Do they? I know E* bought the Voom HARDWARE and transponder licenses. I was unaware that E* bought any of the programming (that is all that is left of Voom...they are a program distributor). I really didn't pay close attention to that side.

See ya
Tony

Yeah! I read somewhere back in May that Echostar held part interest in Voom. I am sure that it was discussed on SatGuys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)