New HD PVR/DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riggscm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Not too long ago Scott featured a dual-tuner/dual-output DVR from Dish. If memory serves it was labeled as Dish DVR 942. Just wondering if there is any news out there on this product as to when we might get our hands on it.

Also, do we know of any steps that Dish is taking to handle NBC HD in O&O cities??

Finally, is Dish taking any steps that we know of to rebroadcast local HD programming?

:cool:
RiGGs

riggscm said:
Not too long ago Scott featured a dual-tuner/dual-output DVR from Dish. If memory serves it was labeled as Dish DVR 942. Just wondering if there is any news out there on this product as to when we might get our hands on it.

Also, do we know of any steps that Dish is taking to handle NBC HD in O&O cities??

Finally, is Dish taking any steps that we know of to rebroadcast local HD programming?

:cool:
RiGGs

If I remember Scott's CEDA report, the 942 is in the labs and E* got smart this time and isn't going to demo it until they're very close to release. They don't want all the ill will the many 921 delays caused.

As for your other questions, your guess/rumor is as good as anyone elses out here. Even if it's announced as a future I wouldn't believe it until you can actually order it.

"E* got smart" ........ ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,... please help me up off the floor.

ken said:
"E* got smart" ........ ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,... please help me up off the floor.

Yea, I know, but Scott reported: Dish WAS planning on showing the 942 up until last week, but then someone spoke up and said they shouldnt pump it up yet because its not ready yet. Charlie said (so I am told) that because of uproar from the forums they will not display equipment publicly until it is ready (or within 30 days of being ready)

Maybe Charlie is finally listening to his customers?

One would certainly think that if Charlie IS listening that E* would be making noticeable steps to provide more HD. If not because we b*tch about it, then because D* is making aggressive steps to get there.

I for one am a bit dismayed about the slow roll out of HD on Dish. To tell you the truth I am annoyed that E* says that alot of the HD content that is "out there" is up-converted and is a waste. My opinion...Who cares? the faster HD is adopted, and provided to the consumer the more "TRUE" HD content there will be. Thus ending the cycle. :cool:

If I saw some release dates/info on the 942 then I would know that E* is going to pursue HD and not wait and wait till they get yelled at to do something.

I am seriously considering migrating to D*. The only thing that is holding me back is cost of Tivo equipment. Yeah its pretty cheap these days, but all my Dish stuff was free.

riggscm said:
If I saw some release dates/info on the 942 then I would know that E* is going to pursue HD and not wait and wait till they get yelled at to do something.

Did you track the 'release dates' on the 921? If you had you'd see that E* was like 1 1/2 years late from their original date, and then when it was shipping it was small numbers and then they put a freeze on it for a few months. Do you really want to base your decision with a track record like that or have E* wait and announce availability when they're actually close to shipping?

I did track the 921, and as long as there is information forthcoming from the supplier, in this case E*, then I'm willing to stick with the product that I'm looking for.

I was waiting on the 921 for as long as anyone else, but I'm not going to spend $999 on a piece of equipment if there is not the content for it. 5 channels of HD is not content worthy enough to warrent that cost to me.

D* on the other hand is broadcasting the NBC HD feed now, and in the near future will be handling locals in HD. I'll glady drop a grand on their DirectHDTivo

riggscm said:
I did track the 921, and as long as there is information forthcoming from the supplier, in this case E*, then I'm willing to stick with the product that I'm looking for.

I was waiting on the 921 for as long as anyone else, but I'm not going to spend $999 on a piece of equipment if there is not the content for it. 5 channels of HD is not content worthy enough to warrent that cost to me.

D* on the other hand is broadcasting the NBC HD feed now, and in the near future will be handling locals in HD. I'll glady drop a grand on their DirectHDTivo

As to the HD Content. If you can get local OTA then both D* and E* have enough HD Content to warrent a HD DVR in my opinion. In the case of D*, can everyone get NBC HD or do you have to have a waiver. If a waiver is necessary and you have to meet some requiement, I don't personally consider that extra HD content. (My own opinion).

HD Content has been coming slow period. For ever person that accept the upcast there is one person that if the channel is not completely HD then the channel is a waste and sucks! As I see it, we are in the transition period and as early adopters we are wanting more and more. The reality is that at this point we are a small majority. Yes the numbers are growning, but I am not suprised at the speed that things are moving.

As to D* for E* for HD. Well time will tell. D* has announced some aggressive plans that are a year out. E* has been quiet on this issue. (Looks like the companies have swapped marketing methods). The 64 thousand dollar question is can D* deliver on time and does E* have means to counter.

Dish took a lot of rocks for the delayed release of the 921 (Deservingly so) and when it released it had issues. Dish might be getting more conservative on forward information because of the pressures it created to release a product before its time. Lets hope that E* is fixing these issues behind the scenes and getting a better development methodology that will release products in a timely fashion and with high quality. Only time will tell what road E* takes, but at the moment it is a rocky one at best.

I too am waiting to see with the 942 offers and where E* goes in terms of international channels. There was talk of them announcing some soon which I have not heard. I will take all that info, and then decide if I want to make a move or stick with Dish. To me Content rules and right now for my needs D* does not meet them.

riggscm said:
NBC is out there for O&O market areas. I'm sure a vaiver would be needed otherwise

Since I have Local OTA I have never dug into what O&O means and if I qualify. But in anycase the HD channel does not cover all D* HD users. Yes it helps some of them that can't get HD, but on the other side of the coin it still does not meet the needs of a lot of D* users. This would be the same for E*

If Dish has chosen to hold back releasing products until they are actually ready (unlike their current system of releasing them 18 months before they are ready), then I'm all for it!

When they announce the development of these new products is irrelevant.

The thing that matters most is releasing products that have all of their features working from the get go. And, more importantly, that they're working correctly.

GaryPen said:
If Dish has chosen to hold back releasing products until they are actually ready (unlike their current system of releasing them 18 months before they are ready), then I'm all for it!

When they announce the development of these new products is irrelevant.

The thing that matters most is releasing products that have all of their features working from the get go. And, more importantly, that they're working correctly.
But wouldn't we have to change their name from DISH Notwork to Directv if the product actually worked? As far as I know the 111,311 and 510 introduced last fall are the only ones close to actually working of last falls new releases. :)

WeeJavaDude said:
Since I have Local OTA I have never dug into what O&O means and if I qualify.
O & O means "owned and operated". Most locals affiliates are owned by other companies but all the networks own stations in some markets. You can check the network's web site to see a list of the stations they own or you can call the local station and ask.

Bill R said:
O & O means "owned and operated". Most locals affiliates are owned by other companies but all the networks own stations in some markets. You can check the network's web site to see a list of the stations they own or you can call the local station and ask.

Thanks Bill.. Just never thought to ask since I already get local OTA over the air.

If I may, please forgive Lisa. Remember, she is a newbie.

Her english is a bit rough, but do not confuse that with illiteracy. She is a rep for a Chinese company that appears to be working on a HD DVR card for PCs. Unfortunately, their web site is written in Chinese. Hopefully, they will have an English version soon.

She is trying to learn more about how we do things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)