New HD question and "Testing"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sundaddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
In regards to the new satellite that was launched, is there any guess as to what new HD we might be getting, and when? Also what are they looking for when "testing" a channel, I mean if it shows up, it works right? Why extended testing?

Right now DISH is in the mode of removing HD channels and fighting court battles with everyone possible on this planet! Not a good time to discuss adding anything new. As a reminder DISH recently removed four Disney/ABC owned HD channels from the lineup as they apparently expect to get them for free! Everyone wants something for nothing these days!

As a reminder DISH recently removed four Disney/ABC owned HD channels from the lineup as they apparently expect to get them for free! Everyone wants something for nothing these days!
Up until this point if a MSO carried a channel in SD they were able to carry the stations HD feed for no extra charge.

Disney/ABC have decided to buck that trend and now want to get paid extra for the HD feed for their channels. (So you pay twice for the same channel.)

If I were the networks I would be happy to be carried in HD and get my space in HD as there is not much HD space available.

Since DISNEY/ABC have pulled their HD feeds off of DISH I have not watched any of their channels. I wonder what their sponsors think of that.

Up until this point if a MSO carried a channel in SD they were able to carry the stations HD feed for no extra charge.

Disney/ABC have decided to buck that trend and now want to get paid extra for the HD feed for their channels. (So you pay twice for the same channel.)

If I were the networks I would be happy to be carried in HD and get my space in HD as there is not much HD space available.

Since DISNEY/ABC have pulled their HD feeds off of DISH I have not watched any of their channels. I wonder what their sponsors think of that.

Why is Dish the only one removing these channels though? You would think that the other providers would do the same if Disney/ABC started charging for the HD channels.

All tv providers should stand up to DISNEY over this. IF other channel companies decide to start charging a separate fee for HD over sd and I can see all of our bills going sky high and an end to HD For life.

I don't see why DISH can't just buy the HD feeds and down convert the picture to sd for the sd customers? THen they could drop the sd feeds entirely. Then it wouldn't matter if they charged separate fee for hd over sd.

I don't see why DISH can't just buy the HD feeds and down convert the picture to sd for the sd customers? THen they could drop the sd feeds entirely. Then it wouldn't matter if they charged separate fee for hd over sd.
Do you think Disney/ABC would let them do that??

Nah neither do I. :)

So Disney/ABC asked only Dish Network to remove the HD channels? Why not the other providers? Somehow I feel like we're not getting all the details in this dispute.
I would say that the other lawsuit with them made DISNEY play hard ball with DISH. I have a feeling that has a lot to do with it.

But unfortunately not knowing ALL the details has us DISH customers once again being used as chess pieces.

Why is Dish the only one removing these channels though?
Oftentimes this is the case because the carriage agreements with different carriers expire at different times. The next time the Disney channels come up for negotiation with another carrier, chances are pretty good that there will be grumbling there too.

So Disney/ABC asked only Dish Network to remove the HD channels? Why not the other providers?
Because the carriage agreement with DISH Network is in negotiations and not so with other carriers?

As other carrier's contracts come up for renewal I would expect to hear beefs from those carriers as well if the carriage terms change radically.

Im serously thinking about calling claude up and see what he can do for me and my equipment situation. I wasn't going to jump ship at first but more and more I keep thinking about it, the more and more I want to as dish just isn't getting it when it comes to the programming department. Dish has a lot of stuff to get straight. Just like people get tired of my rants against Charlie for the stupid stuff that his company does, people get tired of disputes like this and it has done nothing but hurt him.

I'm seriously thinking that D* is the provider of choice to be with, if we can get them to launch some more channels we would be allright. :)

Because the carriage agreement with DISH Network is in negotiations and not so with other carriers?

As other carrier's contracts come up for renewal I would expect to hear beefs from those carriers as well if the carriage terms change radically.

I dont think so, I think this is happening only because dish has a lawsuite against disney. I betcha if Charlie dropped the lawsuite, and they paid disney, they could come to terms on a free hd agreement.

If you complain and moan, no one is going to work with you. I know that first hand... So why isnt charlie learning the same lesson? Keyword: EGO!

I don't see why DISH can't just buy the HD feeds and down convert the picture to sd for the sd customers?
Contracts are based on predicted viewers, not SD or HD streams. If you sell an HD feed, you expect only HD viewers and if you allow the carrier to downconvert on their own, it opens up the content to everyone and that should command a significantly higher price.

I'm seriously thinking that D* is the provider of choice to be with, if we can get them to launch some more channels we would be allright. :)
If DISH Network is the provider you've chosen to go with, how can you claim that DIRECTV is the provider of choice?

That's much like the many who have indicated that they would go with FIOS if only it were available to them.

This is just the start of the implosion of the satellite/cable delivery system. As our TV bill approaches $130/month, more and more people are jumping to antenna, Netflix, and Hulu Plus. Meanwhile, the old school TV channels are not getting the advertising revenue that they once were getting, so they decide to raise rates on us poor souls that are still remaining. I believe this is the start of the end, but in the mean time, let Charlie play hardball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)