NEW HD RUMOR; 24 HD Channels for DirecTV..Bye bye Voom

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I like WTGG (Watch the grass grow) Channel just like everyone else, I am sure it will be missed!

I thought the total was updated to between 19-22. It depends on whether they are including the Sunday Ticket in HD channels since it looks like there will be 7-9 of those, but I don't know if they will be full-time.

I would like to know where in the hell the bandwidth will come from ... last I checked D* is completely full up. Anyone, please enlighten me as to where this will come from.

Hopefully shed some dumb channels like NASA?

Rumor: Directv Adding Tons Of Hd? Buying Voom?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=31905&page=1&pp=25
DBSTalk.Com - Rumor: DirecTV High Definition Info 8-23-04
Anyone read this rumor? If its true Directv is looking to become a big player in the HD world. I sub to both DTV and VOOM and would like both to still exsist....but the rumors that are floating around sound like they could be true. Read it for yourself and post your thoughts.

Some of it came from the space freed up when a lot of locals went to 7S.

I guess that make sense Jason. Thanks for responding to my DUMB question. LOL I have read that 100 times ... just eluded me I guess!

vinnyv07 said:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=31905&page=1&pp=25
DBSTalk.Com - Rumor: DirecTV High Definition Info 8-23-04
Anyone read this rumor? If its true Directv is looking to become a big player in the HD world. I sub to both DTV and VOOM and would like both to still exsist....but the rumors that are floating around sound like they could be true. Read it for yourself and post your thoughts.

I guess this would solve the no Voom DVR problem!

I heard this same rumor from an LA dealer who was going to carry Voom and now is not. Because he already handles DTV!

Only Rumour

This is only a rumour about D*. The proof is in the pudding, plus they are only playing catch up. Voom still has the edge with over 21 vcom exclusive channels. Remember while direct tv is adding HD channels, so will voom, and voom will still be ahead. With additional satellite capacity, and voom having its own HD production capabilities, voom will surprise all the Nathsayers. Voom is planning to add AMC -HD, IFC- HD, which CAblevision owns. Voom will still be ahead. With WMC 9 and MPEG 4 our pic quality will blow away the other satellite providers. Where is Playboy HD on D*. Voom is still the one to beat

Voom is number one in HD and always will be. The others can only try and copy but will never be Voom.

I first heard this number on Friday after a friend of mine who is a very large DirecTV dealer had a meeting with DirecTV, yesterday afternoon after Chris posted those number to DBSTalk I talked to my contact at DirecTV who confirmed those numbers.

It appears whoever Chris is talking to is a retailer and not someone from DirecTV, as the information he has been sharing has been after the info has been shared with large DirecTV retailers.

My big question still is where are they going to put all these HD channels.

Okay perhaps it wasn't a dumb question! Jason's answer DOES make sense though ... but than again I thought they moved so many locals because they were bringing a bird "home."

vurbano said:
21 exclusives are not an edge, more like a liability.
If they are the only one that offers 21 exclusive channels, then yes, they are cutting edge. Sorry that all 21 don't appeal to your taste, but that doesn't mean that they hold no value. Maybe you just need to be more open minded.

fellas don't panic. I doubt Voom will be bought, it is more likely that cable vision will pull the plug. D* just negotiated more transponder space ... I think that was what the whole PanAmSat deal was ... and D* will be adding more HD. The announced NBC-HD and BravoHD.

That post from DBS had to come from somewhere, people usually don't pull that stuff out of their butts, I did say usually. D* has been saying they will be competitive in HD, E* has said that they will not (nothing to compelling about it). And we already know there will be 8 HD NFL games in week one and two, plus the other, 6 I think, HD channels there already. So they have some space now from somewhere!

and just to pop another question in there, whats with everyone talking like directv is taking over voom, could this be even remotely true, the only people I want to answer is someone with sources please I dont want any guesses, from what I understand they say next month they are going up for sale, and its going to be between D*and E*, I thought they were just spinning off of cablevision.........

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)