New HD service - how do I record from HD DVR to DVD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Peekin

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
United States
We are just now getting our HD DVR service installed and the serviceman told us that with the new HD DVR we cannot record movies to DVD. Does anyone know how to go about recording to DVD? With our prior equipment it worked just fine.

You should be able to use the composite outputs to record to a DVD recorder. It won't be in HD.
It might not work if the content is copyright protected.

not sure what that guy is talking about, but the method you were using before will likely work the same way, but not knowing what you were doing, its hard to say for sure, maybe you can tell us.

Anyway, you could connect a DVD recorder or go through a more expensive but much better end result of connecting to a PC equipped to do video import/capture and processing/editing and burn the DVD's

Remember that DVD recorder connectivity is NOT HD and some content is protected these days as well.

I am not concerned about the HD part since we do not even have a HD tv yet so that is okay. :) He just said that the new HD DVR boxes do not allow you to go through a DVD-R any longer. Something about the connections. Perhaps HDMI? Sorry for being so vague. I will find out more information from my husband after the service guy leaves.

All of the outputs are live, so use one that works with your dvd recorder. It must be done in real time, that is, recording onto dvd as the dvr is outputting it.

I use 4 HD DVRs and all of them have a DVD recorder hooked up to them via composite. If you get an HD TV then you will have it hooked up with an HDMI cable and you will get a warning screen pop up when you try to view a show through your DVD recorder. If and when that happens people here can help you with that as well. In the meantime have fun recording. If your recorder starts with an "S" you may run into some false copy protection on some channels but other than that everything will be fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)