New HD space for RSN's with the new satellite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Two bits of info:

- Dish does not have any current plans to do 24/7 HD RSNs. They do re-evaluate the situation regularly, and so they can change their mind at any time.

Wasn't it announced by Scott about a year or two ago that Charlie wouldn't to launch 24/7 RSN's, and it was going to happen soon (at the time)?

Wasn't it announced by Scott about a year or two ago that Charlie wouldn't to launch 24/7 RSN's, and it was going to happen soon (at the time)?

Nope. It was announced by Chucky himself. You are half right though, it hasn't happened yet.;)

whitewolf8214 said:
why is that digi? please explain and thank you for explanation:)

There is 500 MHz of bandwidth at each slot in the DBS band. A new sat does not add to that. New DBS sats will broadcast on the same frequencies as the old sats. However, a new sat might use or enable bandwith to be used more efficently, so there can be marginally more space.

Two bits of info:

- Dish does not have any current plans to do 24/7 HD RSNs. They do re-evaluate the situation regularly, and so they can change their mind at any time.

- When a game on an RSN is in HD on a different provider, and not in HD on Dish, it is almost always because the channel is not providing the HD feed to Dish. This is an ongoing problem between some RSNs and Dish that they are working on solving.
Statement 1 is true, but not number 2.

All of NESN's Red Sox broadcasts are in HD. At least once every 2-3 weeks an HD game is not available, only in SD. This is obviously due to the game of HD musical chairs that Dish plays, and that has been confirmed by several CEO reps I have dealt with....

The only way E14 will give more space on 119 for CONUS (it does have a lot more spot beam antennas and will help with LiL) is for it to be more powerful than the satellite it replaces. If it is powerful enough Dish can cut the error correction down some.

If they convert the QPSK (sd) to 7/8 from 5/6 maybe they could free up enough space for a transponder to be converted to HD. This conversion only gives them about 4.2% more space per converted TP. They have 14 TPs running at 5/6. This is not a full TP, but perhaps they could shuffle channels with 110 or something to free up one.

A bigger gain would be conversion from 8PSK 2/3 to 8PSK 3/4 which would give them 9% more per TP. But there is only 1 TP on 119 with no channels running 8PSK.

The big thing is that they will not need the empty TP on 119 once the new satellite is in place, that will be more room.

So, all in all, very unlikely they will really gain more space with the new satellite, except for 2.5X more capacity in local spot beams for LiL.

There is 500 MHz of bandwidth at each slot in the DBS band. A new sat does not add to that. New DBS sats will broadcast on the same frequencies as the old sats. However, a new sat might use or enable bandwith to be used more efficently, so there can be marginally more space.

thank you for reply and explanation:)

- When a game on an RSN is in HD on a different provider, and not in HD on Dish, it is almost always because the channel is not providing the HD feed to Dish. This is an ongoing problem between some RSNs and Dish that they are working on solving.

KStuart I have read many of your posts over the months and I have to say I appreciate your comments, suggestions and speculation. With that being said I don't believe the quoted words above for a second. I chatted online with one of the production engineers of my RSN several times last baseball season and I can assure you that each and every game produced in HD but not shown in HD on Dish was NOT the result of a the HD feed being unavailable to Dish. Heck, even Dish Network admitted twice last year through Direct message on Twitter that it was a capacity issue on their end.

Nope. It was announced by Chucky himself. You are half right though, it hasn't happened yet.;)

That's what I meant to say but it came out wrong..lol. I meant to say that Scott relayed the message that Chucky said he would be launching 24/7 RSN's. Wow it's been a long day..:D

The only way E14 will give more space on 119 for CONUS (it does have a lot more spot beam antennas and will help with LiL) is for it to be more powerful than the satellite it replaces. If it is powerful enough Dish can cut the error correction down some.

If they convert the QPSK (sd) to 7/8 from 5/6 maybe they could free up enough space for a transponder to be converted to HD. This conversion only gives them about 4.2% more space per converted TP. They have 14 TPs running at 5/6. This is not a full TP, but perhaps they could shuffle channels with 110 or something to free up one.

A bigger gain would be conversion from 8PSK 2/3 to 8PSK 3/4 which would give them 9% more per TP. But there is only 1 TP on 119 with no channels running 8PSK.

The big thing is that they will not need the empty TP on 119 once the new satellite is in place, that will be more room.

So, all in all, very unlikely they will really gain more space with the new satellite, except for 2.5X more capacity in local spot beams for LiL.

Dish will use QPSK 7/8 on this satellite so that will gain them some bandwidth. They can't go 8PSK of course due to all the older receivers in use.

With the additional beams they could pull 2 more TP's that are used for overflow of locals on CONUS 110/119.

So if they do everything right, you could pull those 2 into spotbeams, convert to 7/8, and then they have the empty TP on 119 now. So almost 4 TP's of CONUS space will be available after the transition. Now the big question, will they use it as CONUS or convert another frequency into spotbeams creating even more bandwidth. But is it needed now with E10 and Ciel2 also offering a ton of beams? Probably not for right now.

So if they do everything right, you could pull those 2 into spotbeams, convert to 7/8, and then they have the empty TP on 119 now. So almost 4 TP's of CONUS space will be available after the transition. Now the big question, will they use it as CONUS or convert another frequency into spotbeams creating even more bandwidth. But is it needed now with E10 and Ciel2 also offering a ton of beams? Probably not for right now.

Since there is not an announced satellite for WA between now and the deadline to carry all LiL HD channels in markets they carry, it is hard to say if they need the capacity or not. If Dish does plan to carry all 210 markets with significantly viewed allowed (if the current legislation passes), they might need the spot beam space.

Since there is not an announced satellite for WA between now and the deadline to carry all LiL HD channels in markets they carry, it is hard to say if they need the capacity or not. If Dish does plan to carry all 210 markets with significantly viewed allowed (if the current legislation passes), they might need the spot beam space.

I'm hoping for the MPEG-4 transition by then, which means a lot can be carried by E10. On the EA, when a LiL station goes HD, the SD version goes away. If Dish can get rid of a lot of the MPEG-2 SD LiL it has on E10 that is in HD on Ciel-2, that is a lot of space. I am not sure any more space is needed.

Also, DMAs are far denser in the Eastern part of the country, and with Quetzsat-1 and E16, there should be lots of space to get those on the EA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts