NEW HDA2 Audio Issues DTS 2.1 NO 5.1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sfollenius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hi all, been using the search button to see what I can find and I can't seem to make sense of this. I have an older JVC RX-6032V Audio receiver which is DTS/Pro-Logic 5.1/Pro-Logic II compatible. I am connected via the Optical Digital out to the receiver and all I get is DTS 2.1. I cant get 5.1. Am I reading other posts correctly, that in order to get 5.1 sound I have to get a receiver that will have HDMI inputs? When I change my receiver to Dolby Digital (instead of auto) I do not get any audio. When its in DTS it sounds great, but I only get sound out of L+R+Sub.

Thanks!

http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/downloadmanual.asp?f=22026ien.pdf

Last edited:
Hi all, been using the search button to see what I can find and I can't seem to make sense of this. I have an older JVC RX-6032V Audio receiver which is DTS/Pro-Logic 5.1/Pro-Logic II compatible. I am connected via the Optical Digital out to the receiver and all I get is DTS 2.1. I cant get 5.1. Am I reading other posts correctly, that in order to get 5.1 sound I have to get a receiver that will have HDMI inputs? When I change my receiver to Dolby Digital (instead of auto) I do not get any audio. When its in DTS it sounds great, but I only get sound out of L+R+Sub.

Thanks!

Some receivers can't decode 1.5Mbit/s DTS . I have a RX-8040 hooked to a HD-A2 via optical that works perfectly. But it's also DTS-ES, DTS NEO:6 and DTS 96/24 compatible. Download Manual - JVC RX-8040

I just replaced my old JVC RX-7030 in my "hand me downs" secondary home theater setup due to a similar issue. I swear at 1 point I got it to work correctly, but I cannot remember what I did (sorry) or I am just imagining it (likely). I gave up the frustration and upgraded to a new receiver and sold the JVC (got $125 plus shipping on ebay for it, so I was happy with that after a few years of service).

For budget entry, maybe the Sony STR-DG810 (I think they go for less than $300 on amazon with free shipping).

for future use, definately look for HDMI connections, but you need to look around and read reviews. As for right now, I believe it is possible, but not with the JVC's that you and I had. I don't think they handle that large a stream for some reason or they do so with problems.

I recommended the STR-DG810 as a decent entry level HDMI capable receiver to suit your needs. But you may also notice that the DG710 is very similar except HDMI port count. Well, the 710 does not apparently do anything more than 2 channel PCM, where as the 810 does multichannel PCM.

Also apparently the A2 will cause the receivers to show 96khz PCM due to some signal changes it does whereas a BD player or PS3 setup similar will only show 48khz PCM. Both are multichannel.

When I upgraded to the new HD-players, I didn't think I'd notice a big sound difference like others stated with the DD+ or TrueHD etc, but when I upgraded my main home theater setup, it was almost night and day and that is what drove me to upgrade my secondary setup. Keep an eye on prices, read up over at AVS especially this thread
5.1/7.1 PCM, HDMI, and DSP - An Explaination of the Future-Proof receiver - AVS Forum

Edit
Sfollenius, I thought I asked this earlier, but I did not.
What are the settings on your A2 in the audio portion? What do you have SPDIF and HDMI set to?

Last edited:
I purchased the HD-A3 and the STR-DG810 last week. It has 3 HDMI inputs which make your life easier. Sorry I can't give it a review yet, I ordered 2 HDMI cables and they got lost in the mail. I'll just pick 2 more on my Best Buy CC I can't wait any longer:)

I was quite impressed with the DG810 for the price. Granted no upconversion and I believe no s-video inputs, but if you are looking for a nice HDMI capable receiver it's really a tough price (on amazon) to beat with the features.

With the step up to the 910, you get some HDMI upconversion and some pretty blue lights for PCM audio. A bit more watts too.

Thanks!

http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/downloadmanual.asp?f=22026ien.pdf

I've read of issues with older receivers and DTS 5.1. Quick question, did you set spdif to bitstream?

What are your settings for Audio SPDIF in the HD-A2? You need to set it to Bitstream to send 5.1 to the receiver. If you set it to PCM, you'll only get 2 channels.

See page 53 in the manual:

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-images/models/hd-a2/docs/hd-a2_om_e.pdf

I have the Sony 810 and I like it. Yes, it's an entry level receiver but it has 3 HDMI inputs and that's all I wanted. Plus my HD-A3 can send TrueHD and DD+ through HDMI so the 810 can play them.

Also, what about the Harman Kardon AVR147? It says HDMI switching but is that different that being able to pick up the audio from the HDMI ports?

AVR147.jpg

harman/kardon

I don't believe the 147 grabs the audio off the HDMI input, it's just a pass-thru. I had to find this link to confirm it (so many receivers with confusing terms, I get lost and forget what is what)
Read the section "What I don't like"
Harman Kardon AVR147 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Review and Rating - Page 2 - Evaluation and Final Take

The 247 does though and I think it upconverts.

Like Randall said, the 810 is a nice receiver, don't let entry level fool ya. Every category needs to start somewhere. Beyond the 810, the major features you would be missing would be HDMI upconversion from other inputs (the 910 has this as do others like the Onkyo Tx-SR605 and up). Some like the onkyo do TrueHD decoding on board instead of the player doing it. But seriously, the player if set to PCM over HDMI is gonna decode the TrueHD for you and stream it to the receiver and you won't honestly be able to tell the difference.

Currently, I have a Onkyo TX-sr604 and the STR-DG910. I stream PCM to both over HDMI and it sounds great. Looking back, I overpaid for the 910 and should have probably gone with the 810 for what I wanted.

Yeah, I have it on bitstream. I also tried PCM and its just two channel, no DTS it sounds worse :)

Looks like I'll have to consider the Sony, I haven't been keen on Sony receivers in the past but I guess they have gotten better.

Sony receivers still suck. (I have one.) They are relatively cheap compared to Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha. Very few of the higher end receivers like Cambridge Audio, Rotel, Classe, etc. accept HDMI over audio much less decode modern HD audio codecs.

If you can afford it, try to find an Onkyo 604 unless you need 3 inputs. It has two HDMI inputs and accepts audio over HDMI.

That HK AVR doesn't do audio over HDMI.

Harman Kardon AVR147 5.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Review

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts