New HDTV + Tivo question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ELsolly

Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
Hi,

I have just upgraded my TV to a vizio 47" HDTV (I used to have an old 27" analog piece of junk!). I am also currently using a D* TV phillips / Tivo DVR which I love.

The problem I am having is the picture coming through from the DVR to the TV is somewhat fuzzy and blurry. I can see grainy lines and some pixles - which is very annoying. I am connecting my DVR via AV cables.

I was told that my DVR is only broadcasting in analog and to get a better picture I need to upgrade my DVR to a digital HDTV box and dish. I know toget HD picture I need this BUT will this help with all the other regular non HDTV channels as well. Also is there a way to get a Tivo DVR instead of D* TV's own brand?

Please share your expert advice

Thanks

Leo

Hi,

I have just upgraded my TV to a vizio 47" HDTV (I used to have an old 27" analog piece of junk!). I am also currently using a D* TV phillips / Tivo DVR which I love.

The problem I am having is the picture coming through from the DVR to the TV is somewhat fuzzy and blurry. I can see grainy lines and some pixles - which is very annoying. I am connecting my DVR via AV cables.

I was told that my DVR is only broadcasting in analog and to get a better picture I need to upgrade my DVR to a digital HDTV box and dish. I know toget HD picture I need this BUT will this help with all the other regular non HDTV channels as well. Also is there a way to get a Tivo DVR instead of D* TV's own brand?

Please share your expert advice

Thanks

Leo

First off, non HD content will always look crappy on a High Def TV. Just the nature of the beast.
2 things you can do right now. First, Trash the A/V cables. Almost the worst way to connect. Use S-Video instead.
Second, calibrate your HDTV on the input you are connecting into. Most of the time the factory settings are terrible. In particular turn brightness way down and turn "sharpness" to near off. Sharpness actually makes the picture worse with pixelizing.

As for getting an HD-DVR, you will connect that to your TV via Component or HDMI. Both are much better then S-Video or A/V. BUT SD content will still look not the best but it is usually better then a plain SD receiver. My HR20 has a better SD quality then my R10 Tivo DVR. It's noticable but it's not a huge difference.

Also note your viewing distance. With a 47" screen your viewing distance should be 8-10 feet in general. If you're sitting closer then that you will start to see artifacts on the screen. Bigger your TV the farther away you need to sit. One big problem is people get a bigger TV then they really should for the room they are putting it in. Since you only have a 47" you're probably ok unless it's a real small room.

As for your last question, the only way to get an HR10 (the Tivo HD-DVR) is eBay or other second hand seller. They haven't been made for well over a year now. HR20 is the future of DirecTV (for good or ill depending on your perspective) and it will be required for all future HD that DirecTV is putting up since the old Tivo version can't decode the new MPEG4 channels (or see the sats they are on). Right now your HD locals and RSN (if available) require the H20 or HR20.

Good luck!

Thanks Scott.

I've tried some of your ideas ....

1) The tint and sharpness didn't change tghe picture quality
2) S video happened to be worse!!!
3) My TV is around 11 feet away from the couch

I don't upgrading to a HD DVR but since most of the channels are currently in analog I think it's a shame to have to pay 2 grand for a new TV and get a less quality picture!!

Could you explain what an SD receiver is ... (sorry for my ignorance)

Thanks Scott.

I've tried some of your ideas ....

1) The tint and sharpness didn't change tghe picture quality
2) S video happened to be worse!!!
3) My TV is around 11 feet away from the couch

I don't upgrading to a HD DVR but since most of the channels are currently in analog I think it's a shame to have to pay 2 grand for a new TV and get a less quality picture!!

Could you explain what an SD receiver is ... (sorry for my ignorance)

SD = Standard Definition (i.e. any non HD channel). So your old Tivo is an SD receiver (only gets SD channels).

Getting an HDTV means having worse SD quality. Just the way it is. and the bigger it is, the worse it gets. Sorry you didn't know that before buying your TV. The HDTV I bought a few years ago I got specifically because it did real well with SD channels and had some nice stretch modes for SD. It really varies from TV to TV on how well they do SD content. It's something you have to watch out for as more and more TV manufacturers don't care what SD looks like on their HD sets so they don't spend much time on doing it right.

Search on AVS Forum for your model TV as well as on some of the High Def forums out there and you might get some hints on what to do to help you out.

So if I bought a D*TV HD receiver will the regular channels have a better quality picture?

Also, what / where is the AVS forum?

Thanks again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)