New Here: International News?

TechieJustin

Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
This may come as a shock to most of you, but I am an American who is
interested in news accross Europe; and their commentaries.
I am tired of Foxnews, CNN and MSNBC. So, being in North America,
what choices do I have regarding getting satellite and European News
agencies? For example, BBC has a constantl news channel, but I can't
get it on comcast. BBC America is a joke. The only thing they show
is "Cash in the Attic." Which is stupid, because they go through
British homes, finding British stuff and sell it at British
fleamarkets. How exactly does this apply to Americans?
Anyway, I digress.
Is there an Italian English speaking news channel? I have realitives
there. What about a French english speaking news channel? I'm interested in checking the dreded Al Jazeera - I know its completely un-american of me etc. but I want to see what first hand what they're saying. None of this Anderson Cooper said that this guy said this and see a ten second clip.
Do I have any options at all, or am I stuck with Bill O'reilly, Sean
Hannity and Keith Olberman in the Land of the free?

Dish Network has Euro News, which is a great news service from Europe and is available in a number of languages. :)

I did check that out. I was hoping for a bunch more, France, Italy, Other UK based agencies, hell toss in a few Russians too.
I also heard about people intercepting network feeds. Is that legal?

Bueller? Bueller?
I checked out Galaxy 25 and most of the FTA channels are Christian.
Not for me. What would I have to subscribe to?

The problem with Aljazeera is that its in Arabic and you cannot understand it

That have an English version as well, as do most foreigh news agencies; including the French.

Last time I was at the Louvre, they didn't put the painting and art labels in English, but now they report the news in just about every language.

Go figure.

Bueller? Bueller?
I checked out Galaxy 25 and most of the FTA channels are Christian.
Not for me. What would I have to subscribe to?

There's other stuff on there besides the bible-stuff (though most of it isn't in English, sadly). You can subscribe to Euronews off of Galaxy 25 through Globecast World TV (www.globecastwtv.com) for a few dollars a month. Al Jazeera English is free to air (and their news is surprisingly very good). There's also Russia Today, an all-news channel operated by the Russian government.

Robbie

I don't understand why DISH Network hasn't started to carry Aljazeera English, at least at a side slot like 61.5. Just offer it ala carte. I think the obstacle could be that Aljazeera English might insist on being carried as part of a "Top ###" package. But I don't get why they wouldn't accept side slot carriage for now, and then move into a top package once they get more popular.

As a current EuroNews subscriber, I would gladly upgrade to an international news package for $4.99 or so per month, including: EuroNews, Aljazeera English, France 24 English, BBC World News (not BBC America, but the all news stream), mHz Worldview, Russia Today, and DW-TV. (DW-TV is not all news, but it does carry quite a bit of news and documentaries, and furthermore would be a cheap addition.) I would even suggest adding audio feeds of World Radio Network 1 (and possibly 2) as well as BBC World Service radio. E* might fetch $9.99 for such a package, if it included all this. Furthermore, at 61.5, TV Japan's free news service would also be available (as it is right now).

I would think E* would also want to add the Francophone and Arabic feeds of France 24 to relevant French and Arabic packages. And honestly, if they are going to carry WRN, it would make sense to offer WRN 1 and 2 to all international subscribers to any package.

PBS around here usually broadcasts BBC new hour at night...

Note that you can watch France24 on their website, would be nice to get it here, it's on an atlantic bird but beaming to Europe...they said they will be on all over the world in 3 years...

The few times I watched Al Jazeera English feed (97w), it appears to be different content than the original feed (didn't see any beheadings, etc), however they do report on atrocities in the middleeast and around the world.

Russia Today (97w)is interesting, usually upbeat/good news, definitely pro-russian...similar to the Chinese news (CCTV9) on dish, which is also on FTA.

DW-TV seems to be in german, haven't seen it in english yet...also Dolphin (from FL).

There are a few Italian FTA feeds (58W), no 24 hr news channel though.

Plenty of spanish channels, a few with some news, but not 24hrs that I've seen...

This may come as a shock to most of you, but I am an American who is
interested in news accross Europe; and their commentaries.
I am tired of Foxnews, CNN and MSNBC. So, being in North America,
what choices do I have regarding getting satellite and European News
agencies? For example, BBC has a constantl news channel, but I can't
get it on comcast. BBC America is a joke. The only thing they show
is "Cash in the Attic." Which is stupid, because they go through
British homes, finding British stuff and sell it at British
fleamarkets. How exactly does this apply to Americans?
Anyway, I digress.
Is there an Italian English speaking news channel? I have realitives
there. What about a French english speaking news channel? I'm interested in checking the dreded Al Jazeera - I know its completely un-american of me etc. but I want to see what first hand what they're saying. None of this Anderson Cooper said that this guy said this and see a ten second clip.
Do I have any options at all, or am I stuck with Bill O'reilly, Sean
Hannity and Keith Olberman in the Land of the free?

TV5 France has a daily newscast with English subtitles that is just what you are looking for. They have great coverage of Europe and international, even the U.S., as well as a fair amount of French domestic news. Also, almost all the movies they air also have English subtitles. There are still many programs that do not have English subtitles, but some of the visuals may still be worth watching. There are also several newscasts and updates that are in French only. The technical standard is high, so you have a really great picture to enjoy.

DW-TV also has several newscasts in English and Spanish. They can be seen nationally (oddly enough) on Sky Angel channel 9711, SAFE TV. In addition, many DW-TV documentaries or short features can be found on LINK TV, Dish Network channel 9410 (part of the Free Public Interest Package).