new here

Status
Please reply by conversation.

missjtiger

Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Olive Branch MS
Really didn't know exactly where to go to ask this but here goes.....I need help with what is the best portable satellite dish for tailgating. Anyone know anything about the VuQube ? I really wanted an HD but non-HD is ok. thanks

Really didn't know exactly where to go to ask this but here goes.....I need help with what is the best portable satellite dish for tailgating. Anyone know anything about the VuQube ? I really wanted an HD but non-HD is ok. thanks

Welcome to the Site !!!
If you talking about Directv, then YUP you found the right place. :)

I've never used the VUQube before, however this one has been recommended highly.

http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...automatic-portable-satellite-tv-antenna/44150

here's another one and I can't see a difference.

Winegard RoadTrip MiniMax Automatic Stationary Satellite TV Antennas - Product - Camping World

Unfortunatly ,they don't do HD either.
I'm still waiting on an HD version.

Last edited:
thanks ! yes, I have Directv....trying to figure out the differences between the VuQube and the Winegard.....and yes, I'm dumb :D

Other than the Obvious ? One being a Qube shape !

I think the Qube is older.

From what I found here, the cheaper ones are not automatic, doesn't take too much to find a signal, but the other ones do it for you as soon as you turn it on.
They are close to the same in price.

http://www.kingcontrols.com/vu_qube/vq1000.asp

You would probably want to go with a step or two up from the cheapest one on the Qube, as the cheap one only does 1 feed.
If thats the case, your gonna pay the same for the CarryAll or whatever they call it which has 2 feeds.

Last edited:
For tailgating, the best dish is probably one just like the one you have at home mounted on a tripod. If you want an automatic dish, you need one that mounts a Slimline on a motorized base.

The difference in price between the two options is about $1,750.

For tailgating, the best dish is probably one just like the one you have at home mounted on a tripod. If you want an automatic dish, you need one that mounts a Slimline on a motorized base.

The difference in price between the two options is about $1,750.

IF I was gonna pay that much .....

Do they actually have a Slimline with a motorized base , I'd like to see it if you've found them.

I normally use a regular Slimline on a tripod, but have often thought about the automatic ones, I have several friends that have the Carry About and like it very well.

Other than the Obvious ? One being a Qube shape !

I think the Qube is older.

From what I found here, the cheaper ones are not automatic, doesn't take too much to find a signal, but the other ones do it for you as soon as you turn it on.
They are close to the same in price.

VuQube Portable Satellite Systems (VQ1000)

yeah..I did figure that out..ha ha ....but technically are they about the same ? I don't understand all the tech stuff. Looks like $600-$900 which is alot of $. Since it will be a bunch of females and we don't know what we're doing...it might be better to get one that searches automatically. I know it can be stationary too.

I have tailgated for years and years with an RV that had the satellite system in it (Kingdome) but I'm selling it so I have to kinda start from scratch now, unfortunately. :( The very first year I tailgated (years ago) before the rv...I had a dish on a tripod and I thought I would go crazy trying to get it locked in to the satellite....as a matter of fact, on one road trip I worked and worked and finally lost it and threw the thing as far as I could throw it. :p

yeah..I did figure that out..ha ha ....but technically are they about the same ? I don't understand all the tech stuff. Looks like $600-$900 which is alot of $. Since it will be a bunch of females and we don't know what we're doing...it might be better to get one that searches automatically. I know it can be stationary too.

I have tailgated for years and years with an RV that had the satellite system in it (Kingdome) but I'm selling it so I have to kinda start from scratch now, unfortunately. :( The very first year I tailgated (years ago) before the rv...I had a dish on a tripod and I thought I would go crazy trying to get it locked in to the satellite....as a matter of fact, on one road trip I worked and worked and finally lost it and threw the thing as far as I could throw it. :p

I would go with the Carry Out, it's automatic and has 2 feeds. Also comes recommended by friends that ave used it !!!!

You can get it for $ 799

I would go with the Carry Out, it's automatic and has 2 feeds. Also comes recommended by friends that ave used it !!!!

You can get it for $ 799

ok...what does 2 feeds mean ? 2 tv's can be hooked up to it ? sorry I'm so ignorant.

Your fine, everyone's been new at one time or another.

Yes, you can hook two Recvrs, not TV's.
Two TV's would require two recvrs, which you could also do.

Also the two feeds allow you to use a DVR which normally require 2 feeds if you want to watch something other than what your recording.

missjtiger,
When you get it, make sure you go thru the manual the first time to get it set up, after that, nothing to do.
I read that usually they are already set up for D*, but you might want to make sure before heading out.
I would set the thing up and see how it works before you leave.

This device is set up to recvr D* and well as DISH and Bell Vue, thats why you need to do the initial set up.

missjtiger,
When you get it, make sure you go thru the manual the first time to get it set up, after that, nothing to do.
I read that usually they are already set up for D*, but you might want to make sure before heading out.
I would set the thing up and see how it works before you leave.

This device is set up to recvr D* and well as DISH and Bell Vue, thats why you need to do the initial set up.

thanks...I will...I'm that kind of a person anyway...always gotta make sure everything works before I leave. I really don't want to spend this type of $ but it sounds like it will be the best/easiest for me/us.

thanks...I will...I'm that kind of a person anyway...always gotta make sure everything works before I leave. I really don't want to spend this type of $ but it sounds like it will be the best/easiest for me/us.

Think of it this way ....
Once your set up, it will take all of 5 minutes to set up the D* from here on out :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)