New Hopper 3 install

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
We are swapping our TV service from Frontier (formerly Verizon) FiOS to DISH for a few reasons, mainly so that we can have the full service in our new travel trailer and it not cost us an arm and a leg for separate service. I figured up that the new cost for DISH is very comparable, within $10 of the monthly rate of the FiOS we were paying for, for a similar set of channels.

I am intrigued by the Hopper 3 DVR and can't wait to try it out. This will be replacing our Tivo Roamio that we've had with our FiOS service for the past 2 and a half years. The DISH installers are currently setting up the dish on the side of the house. My wife insisted on no more holes being drilled into the brick or excessive cables being on the outside of the house. Fortunately I showed the installers where the current service is coming in and was assured that it was just one cable coming from the dish and that they could use the existing cable going into the house since it's RG-6. As far as the Joey setup in our bedroom since it's outlet is directly across from the living room's outlet they said they could use a tap instead of running a new RG-6 line in.

Can the Joey be connected to the Hopper via ethernet? Reason I ask is my whole house is wired for ethernet in the living room, master bedroom, and our home office. Eventually the kids rooms will be wired too.

For our travel trailer I ordered the Playmaker and a Wally receiver. I was told this could be easily added to our account.

The Joey does not require a separate connection to the Internet. The Hopper will need an Internet source and the Joey will access that via Moca, which is through the existing cable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

We are swapping our TV service from Frontier (formerly Verizon) FiOS to DISH for a few reasons, mainly so that we can have the full service in our new travel trailer and it not cost us an arm and a leg for separate service. I figured up that the new cost for DISH is very comparable, within $10 of the monthly rate of the FiOS we were paying for, for a similar set of channels.

I am intrigued by the Hopper 3 DVR and can't wait to try it out. This will be replacing our Tivo Roamio that we've had with our FiOS service for the past 2 and a half years. The DISH installers are currently setting up the dish on the side of the house. My wife insisted on no more holes being drilled into the brick or excessive cables being on the outside of the house. Fortunately I showed the installers where the current service is coming in and was assured that it was just one cable coming from the dish and that they could use the existing cable going into the house since it's RG-6. As far as the Joey setup in our bedroom since it's outlet is directly across from the living room's outlet they said they could use a tap instead of running a new RG-6 line in.

Can the Joey be connected to the Hopper via ethernet? Reason I ask is my whole house is wired for ethernet in the living room, master bedroom, and our home office. Eventually the kids rooms will be wired too.

For our travel trailer I ordered the Playmaker and a Wally receiver. I was told this could be easily added to our account.
Why a tap? Do you mean the Solo Hub?

The Joey might work connected to the Hopper via ethernet but it is not supported by Dish. You have three supported options. First is what is being installed right now, a tap at the Hopper wired to the Joey. Second is the usual installation, a coax from a hub location to the Joey. Finally, there is a wireless Joey. You place a WAP at the Hopper and it acts as your router, specifically and only for the Dish system. The WAP costs something like $50 and it can handle several wireless Joeys. If you are looking for expansion later the latter it may be a good choice if you are trying to keep things neat, wire wise...

The Joey does not require a separate connection to the Internet. The Hopper will need an Internet source and the Joey will access that via Moca, which is through the existing cable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I think he means, instead of RG6.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Neutron
Yes, sorry, Troch77 is right. :)

A tap is what the installer told me. This saves him running a new RG6 line up my wall in the attic.

Reactions: Troch77
Why a tap? Do you mean the Solo Hub?
Good catch, because a Tap and a Solo hub still have the same amount of wiring required to reach that joey.

Unless he has the Hub far away from the Hopper like outside, or in the basement.
Then the tap would eliminate the need to run 2 wires in the house from the HUB.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Installer has the dish mounted on the roof near the edge. I already like the single coax line coming from the dish. Makes for a much cleaner look.

OK, I thought it was a Solo Hub to the Joey.
It would be if he had 2 home runs available from the HUB.
That's where the tap comes in.

Say the Hub is ouside. And only one wire is going into the house, the Tap would split that Single cable to go to the Hopper and Joey.

Otherwise you would have to run a second wire from inside from the Joey to the Hub.

I'm not a fan of Taps, but there are times I imagine they are required.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

OK, I thought it was a Solo Hub to the Joey.
There is a hybrid tap as well. The installer may well be placing a solo hub in the garage or wherever the house coaxes might meet, although in this case it isn't necessary, but the room Neutron wants his Joey in doesn't have a coax. So, you add the tap at the Hopper and punch through the wall with a short coax run to the next room's Joey. You could place the solo hub at the Hopper but then any future wiring would need to come to this location. Not the best scenario.....

Reactions: KE4EST and Troch77
There is a hybrid tap as well. The installer may well be placing a solo hub in the garage or wherever the house coaxes might meet, although in this case it isn't necessary, but the room Neutron wants his Joey in doesn't have a coax. So, you add the tap at the Hopper and punch through the wall with a short coax run to the next room's Joey. You could place the solo hub at the Hopper but then any future wiring would need to come to this location. Not the best scenario.....

I agree with Bobby,
I would have ran the 2nd coax.
And I'll tell you why, ("Just an example")
Because what will happen now if you add more joeys upstairs the New Tech is going to now slap a Splitter after that Tap on the client side of the Tap and tie additional Joeys on that, Instead of using the the seperate Client Home run that should be ran.

No saying this will happen in Neutrons case since maybe he doesn't have anymore rooms upstairs.
But that's why I frown on the use of taps.
Techs will split the cap out of them to avoid even simple coax runs.

In This case, it was good use of a Tap.
But if you add anymore Joeys, I would require them to run the additional Coax from the client port on the solo hub.

I had nothing but low moca issues when they had that Tap split .
I finally ran my own coax to the client port on my Duo Node, and threw that Tap in the garbage.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm hoping once they are done I can go in there and remove it and just connect the Joey using ethernet. There's already very little room inside the wall since both the living room and bedroom's jacks are in the same spot on the wall.

It would be if he had 2 home runs available from the HUB.
That's where the tap comes in.

Say the Hub is ouside. And only one wire is going into the house, the Tap would split that Single cable to go to the Hopper and Joey.

Otherwise you would have to run a second wire from inside from the Joey to the Hub.

I'm not a fan of Taps, but there are times I imagine they are required.
OK, understand. I was just visualizing that the single wire from the dish is going to like a headend area that has all the home's coax going to. Then could you use a Hybrid Solo Hub?

I'm hoping once they are done I can go in there and remove it and just connect the Joey using ethernet. There's already very little room inside the wall since both the living room and bedroom's jacks are in the same spot on the wall.
Word of advice, if you do this make sure everything is totally unplugged first.
Then when all your wiring is done.
Power up Hopper first let it completely finish, then power your joey back up.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Neutron
Maybe one day we will have Joey's installed in each of the kids rooms but that may be a while. They both are fine with using the Roku on their TVs.

OK, understand. I was just visualizing that the single wire from the dish is going to like a headend area that has all the home's coax going to. Then could you use a Hybrid Solo Hub?
Exactly
Like my house.
I actually have a central area as you describe. I have 11 coaxes from outside going into my basement.
Yes 11
6 of them are cable 5 of them are for Satellite.
Obviously it's all enclosed pipe.
But yes I have a duo node in the basement, with a DPP44.
Cable just has a grounding Block
I tried to get the cable company to just put the single RG11 right into the basement, But they insisted they split it outside in their lock box.
Even though I pay for all 6 outlets anyway.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: charlesrshell
Tech is training a new guy who starts tomorrow so this is taking longer than I anticipated but no worries on my end as I know we all started somewhere. :)

They just got the dish mounted and cabled on the outside. Now they have to go up in our attic to change out a fitting that is going between the outside coax line and the inside line going to the living room. I've already removed the Tivo and Tivo Mini from the rooms to make it easier for the techs to continue doing their thing.

Exactly
Like my house.
I actually have a central area as you describe. I have 11 coaxes from outside going into my basement.
Yes 11
6 of them are cable 5 of them are for Satellite.
Obviously it's all enclosed pipe.
But yes I have a duo node in the basement, with a DPP44.
Cable just has a grounding Block
I tried to get the cable company to just put the single RG11 right into the basement, But they insisted they split it outside in their lock box.
Even though I pay for all 6 outlets anyway.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Here is my red neck central area. When I upgrade to the Hopper 3, my board will look empty. LOL

Attachments

• 3 Hoppers Pri.jpg
    3 Hoppers Pri.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,198

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)