New Hopper install with Joey on S271?

Joe Satellite Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Palisade, Colorado
I just received my third Hopper and am about to hook it up, get initialized and then connected with an existing Joey. The Joey is on S271. If what I'm reading is right, most likely the Hopper will get S229 or S230 for it's initial software load. Also, from what others are saying, the Joey with it's existing S271 will not "play" well with the Hopper.

If all that is correct, what's the best option: Go ahead and initialize and "see what happens", then deal with whatever happens? or would it be advisable to move the Joey into the house where I already have two Hoppers and connect it hoping I can get that Joey updated before I initialize the new Hopper?

My suggestions:

1) Factory reset the joey.

2) Disconnect Joey from the network.

3) Install new hopper

4) Link Joey to new hopper after software updates are complete.

It'll grab the latest software from the hopper in the next day or so.

You can check system info on the hopper by pressing menu twice. The third line from the bottom should be Available Joey SW. What is listed there? If it is S271 then I would disconnect the Joey from both coax and power and leave it unplugged. (no loss because it won't work with S229 anyways) I would then put the Hopper into standby for 30 minutes with no timers firing. Power it back up and check system info again. If it is still S271 for Avail Joey SW then I would just enjoy watching TV tonight and just be sure to not skip the nightly update tonight on the Hopper and to be safe put the box back into standby when you are done viewing for the night. IF the 30 minute standby trick works and the Hopper updates the Avail Joey SW to S278 then I would proceed by plugging the power into the Joey first, then connect the coax cable and let it boot. Within a few minutes of booting the Joey should update to S278.

Ok, I was right, the Hopper downloaded S230. And the Joey is on S271. Guess what, it linked right up to the Hopper and the picture is just fine, sound also. So, there goes one of the assumptions, seems like. I figure it will update one of these nights as it shows S278 is available. I have this setup in the 5th wheel and won't be checking it regularly, but don't see why I need to.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

One time Dish updated my Hoppers and didn't update the Joeys 'till nearly a week later. I forget which revision of software it was, but the Joeys overall worked OK except they would hiccup every time I changed the channel for a split sec, and the DVR listing was not 100% accurate. The Joeys did eventually update and all is well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)