New Hopper Model?

Whenever I think I'm going overboard with my TVs and tech stuff I just come on here and I feel better that there are more people crazier than I. LOL

In what perverse reality would one expect to find multiple Hoppers in the same room?

The same reality where the 3 722s I mentioned were all connected through my Yamaha receiver to a single TV in the living room, and a second zone for whole house distro. The hoppers now have that function, and share 2 other TVs with a joey for each. Makes it easy to watch the same thing synchronized in both zones or something different if I want.

I only have 2 TVs currently. I have 2 Hoppers connected to my main TV and 1 Joey on my 2nd TV. I basically use 1 Hopper for all my timers. I have PTAT enabled on one of them and when I set timers up online I send them to that Hopper. Then I leave my tuners free on the other Hopper and occasionally set timers on the second Hopper if my 1st Hopper is in use. I also have a Sling Box HD connected to each Hopper and a Sling Adapter on each. Just in the case that I need to stream some content when I'm traveling.

A suggestion - you could do the same thing with a Joey on that other HDMI port linked to a Hopper on the second TV and have PIP on both TVs. (Unless, of course, you want to also manage all timers from the 2nd TV.) I manage my wife's timers that way (she pretends that she doesn't know how), that way her TV has all of a Hopper's capabilities.

Yeah I considered that but the second tv is rarely viewed and I really never use PIP. The extent of my PIP usage is using my TV PIP to watch a football game on my Hopper while watching a DVD or playing a football game on my xbox at the same time.

They are using 5 Ghz to try to avoid 'Microwave Syndrome'. Good move. My bet is they are going to officially support Hopper/Joey over Wi-Fi via a point to point 5 Ghz wireless link that does not require a home router at all. Hopper would be the WAP, Joey the only allowable client. It's dual band, so they could use the 2.4 for traditional home network connection.

Just a guess, but it would make installs extremely easy.

Now that it is showing at CES, can your suspicion be confirmed?

Miner

I'm still using 2.4GHz for my WiFi network (2.4GHz has better wall penetration) with huge antennas and 40MHz utilization. The neighbors probably hate me, but they are directional antennas, aimed from one side of the house to the other, so the coverage shouldn't be penetrating very far into the neighbors' houses. Microwave never interrupts, even when I have my iPad/iPhone/Laptop etc. right next to the microwave while it's in use (then again I like to stay at least a couple of feet away from microwaves when in use.) Perhaps with the microwave being on the opposite side of the house, it helps, whether it's due to being on a separate circuit, or not in close proximity to the AP, either way I'm not complaining.

As for Hopper 2 having 5GHz, that's nothing new, the Dish WiFi adapters are dual-band capable.

I only have 2 TVs currently. I have 2 Hoppers connected to my main TV and 1 Joey on my 2nd TV. I basically use 1 Hopper for all my timers. I have PTAT enabled on one of them and when I set timers up online I send them to that Hopper. Then I leave my tuners free on the other Hopper and occasionally set timers on the second Hopper if my 1st Hopper is in use. I also have a Sling Box HD connected to each Hopper and a Sling Adapter on each. Just in the case that I need to stream some content when I'm traveling.
Only Firefly/Serenity fans will appreciate this... Are you Mr. Universe? The second Hopper your back-up unit? Hard to get to? ;)

I have two Hoppers stacked in my Living Room. The bad news is that Dish no longer has multiple codes for IR remotes, so I only enable IR on one of the two Hoppers. however, they are integrated enough so that I can use my IR Phillips Pronto to watch shows from either Hopper - a dropdown menu item on Hopper 1 allows you to choose programs from Hopper 2 and vice versa. The only time I need to use the RF remote for the Hopper 2 is to set a timer or copy a show to an external disk. Also use PTAT on Hopper 2 to keep all three sat tuners free on Hopper 1, and have OTA adapter on Hopper 1. Thought it would be worse, but there's usually only a couple of times per season that new timers need to get set (or deleted for cancelled shows ;)

I had two 2013 Hoppers with Sling and three Joey installed today. WOW what a fantastic system! I found out that yes I could have installed two Hoppers installed in my home theater room, instead of placing one in the master bedroom. Hand held remote codes are all different for each remote. The new hopper really has the power 1305 MHZ (original Hopper had 750 MHZ) plus 2GB of RAM memory (original Hopper 768 MB). When I placed my order they offered a two day install and was the CSRs first order for these units. Also they sent out two installers today (one Supervisor ? ) since it was their first install. They upgraded to a newer dish as part of the install, too. Very impressed that all five remotes searched to find the correct operation of any equipment codes needed, then saved them. Even the installers were impressed.

"....all five remotes searched to find the correct operation of any equipment codes needed, then saved them...."

Could you elaborate on this?

"....all five remotes searched to find the correct operation of any equipment codes needed, then saved them...."

Could you elaborate on this?

When the installers hooked up everything each remote is set-up with an assigned code. All five remotes have different codes and come with stickers that are placed on the back. ALL remotes look the same. The set up was most impressive. When setting up equipment in that room for that remote you enter the TV manufactures name. For three Panasonic TV they just entered that name from a on screen list and the Joey or Hooper found the correct code, and then you try it and then entered save. In the Home Theater Room (Hooper) Samsung was entered for TV and Onyko for the A/V receiver. Both were found on the first search, too.

Our main issue or complaint when using the new remote is in the darken HT room, being unlighted! Have not attempted to set-up our lighted Harmony one remote yet, but that is on the to-do-list.

I have been a Dish customer for 16 years and just upgraded my 3 722's with 2 H's/2 J's last Thursday. After some haggling, I was able to get the upgrade at no cost. I love the new system and it's a solid upgrade from the 722's.

However, I was checking out the forums here the day after my install and I was shocked to find out the Hopper with Sling is now available and I didn't get them. Nor did they offer them to me with a fee or without. I must say I feel a little short changed. I haven't upgraded my equipment in 3 years. I called CS and they said I would have to pay $200 per Hopper to upgrade. I could understand if I had upgraded last year to the Hopper and wanted to upgrade again this year. Just looking for feedback and whether you think I should try to escalate the issue or just accept the fact that I just got upgraded to not the latest and greatest. At least if was a free upgrade, but the additional features and better specs are making me envious.

I forgot, I don't think that they're even offering HwS yet, unless you specifically ask for one, due to limited supply. I paid $200 for 2H/2J less than a year ago (and a lot more for a third Hopper.) So IMO free 2H/2J is a great deal. If you really want HwS (the only new function is iPad transfers) then unfortunately $200 per receiver is the best deal you will get (as an existing customer.)

I feel your pain. I just upgraded and had my 2 hoppers and 3 joeys installed TODAY only to find out they didn't install the hoppers with sling like I specifically asked about when talking to the rep over the phone on Friday night and was told was available. Today I asked the tech about "hoppers with built in WiFi (K.I.S.S.) today and he was clueless. He didn't even know how to get the hopper on my network when we plugged in my USB WiFi adapter, I had to do it for him and it was the first time I've even seen the system. I did upgrade for free and I do have a sling adapter I can use on one of my hoppers but that's totally beside the point. If they are rolling out these new systems, they should be available for all or make it clear on their website and through their CSR's that there are multiple types of devices available and that they do not have the same features available so that everyone is clear. Not being able to download to my iPad is a biggie for me, besides the other little things like built-in wifi and faster processor, etc... /end rant.

If I call do you think they would switch these out? This is the only time I've upgraded or changed any equipment in 4 years.

thanks!

I have been a Dish customer for 16 years and just upgraded my 3 722's with 2 H's/2 J's last Thursday. After some haggling, I was able to get the upgrade at no cost. I love the new system and it's a solid upgrade from the 722's.

However, I was checking out the forums here the day after my install and I was shocked to find out the Hopper with Sling is now available and I didn't get them. Nor did they offer them to me with a fee or without. I must say I feel a little short changed. I haven't upgraded my equipment in 3 years. I called CS and they said I would have to pay $200 per Hopper to upgrade. I could understand if I had upgraded last year to the Hopper and wanted to upgrade again this year. Just looking for feedback and whether you think I should try to escalate the issue or just accept the fact that I just got upgraded to not the latest and greatest. At least if was a free upgrade, but the additional features and better specs are making me envious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts