New Hopper w/Sling for streaming to secondary location probably a bad strategy after all.

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
[/B] I was planning on switching to DISH when the new Hopper with the built in Sling became available. After reviewing some of the replies I've received on my other posts, I've come to the conclusion that my strategy to use it for streaming programing to a secondary location (cabin & travel trailer) won't work without shelling out another $30/mo or more to increase my existing home data upload speed (which I'll only need 5 months out of the year). The iPad option for recorded programs isn't feasable either because of the cost of buying a new iPad.

My original plan was to get 2 Hoppers - 1 with sling and 1 without, but I'm beginning to wonder if I even need a "new" Hopper? I could sign up before the 17th and get 2 of the original Hoppers with 1 VIP 211 to take with me when I need it. As an added bonus, the $5 "price protection" discount would offset most of the $7 monthly charge for the VIP 211.

Any thoughts on using this strategy? (Oh yeah, forgot to ask - what's the difference between the VIP 211 and the VIP 211k?)

The 211K works with the Tailgater. I have one of each type of 211. Both have worked flawlessly for 30 months. Same functionality. Only problem I have had is that I am now on my third external EHD with the 211K. I have had both a Seagate and WD and they failed. Now using a Hitachi.

Don't know if this is just bad luck or not, but I have had no problems with the EHD attached to my 211.

[/B] I was planning on switching to DISH when the new Hopper with the built in Sling became available. After reviewing some of the replies I've received on my other posts, I've come to the conclusion that my strategy to use it for streaming programing to a secondary location (cabin & travel trailer) won't work without shelling out another $30/mo or more to increase my existing home data upload speed (which I'll only need 5 months out of the year). The iPad option for recorded programs isn't feasable either because of the cost of buying a new iPad.

My original plan was to get 2 Hoppers - 1 with sling and 1 without, but I'm beginning to wonder if I even need a "new" Hopper? I could sign up before the 17th and get 2 of the original Hoppers with 1 VIP 211 to take with me when I need it. As an added bonus, the $5 "price protection" discount would offset most of the $7 monthly charge for the VIP 211.

Any thoughts on using this strategy? (Oh yeah, forgot to ask - what's the difference between the VIP 211 and the VIP 211k?)

Keep in mind you will have to purchase the 211 in order to have it on the same account with your H/J equipment.

Keep in mind you will have to purchase the 211 in order to have it on the same account with your H/J equipment.

But you can buy a Tailgater system (dish+211K), a small hdtv plus a year of 211K stb fees and still be cheaper than the top-of-the line iPad3. And you won't have to pay the $200 fee on the new Hopper2 (which will pay for another 2+ years of 211K stb fees). Then in three years you can upgrade to the Hopper4.

the one reason i think the ipad only is a bad idea is the cost of the ipad, had they included an android option it would have been much more affordable for people

But you can buy a Tailgater system (dish+211K), a small hdtv plus a year of 211K stb fees and still be cheaper than the top-of-the line iPad3. And you won't have to pay the $200 fee on the new Hopper2 (which will pay for another 2+ years of 211K stb fees). Then in three years you can upgrade to the Hopper4.

So if I understand it right, one of my options would be to get just 1 Hopper and a Tailgater system with receiver (or just a VIP 211k stand alone) instead of 2 Hoppers . I could use the VIP 211k as my 2nd Home receiver with a EHD and take the tailgater system or stand alone receiver with me when I go to the cabin (which is kinda what I do now with Direct but without any additional charges). Seems like a workable solution but it defeats the original purpose of why I wanted to switch to DISH in the first place. I was looking for a solution whereby I didn't have to lug equipment back and forth to the cabin.

I guess if DISH would let me have a VIP 211K as a replacement for the Joey it would be the same setup as what I have now, but I doubt that they would do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)