New Hopper?

I'm not referring to you. Not until a day or two before CES did you even give any hints (you told people to wait for the announcement 'cause it was good). You never said how many tuners it would or wouldn't have. You did, actually, question if HDDs could handle that many though ;)

Those who said it would have (16) tuners were pretty much anonymous (wise on their part).

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Harsh was getting a taste of his own medicine.

He disputes people constantly over the smallest insignificant details.

There is maybe 5 people that called him out on it.
Everyone else just made predictions, Harsh dysected everyone that was basically correct multiple times with his Twisted information.
So yes people tend to get sour.

But I'm going to stop now and let him be, But maybe next time he'll stop and think before badgering other members over everything they say or do.
Because clearly he doesn't know everything he thinks he does.
Rant over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bold statement... Bold about how a 16 tuner hopper would never exist, and the technology doesn't exist to make it happen as well.

It's also a bold statement about the NAS, because I seem to remember (~ ten years ago?) Dish demonstrating an enormous HP cabinet that was indeed a NAS. Unless I'm confabulating...

I don't see cloud storage coming anytime soon, first most people don't have good upload speeds so sending an hour show in HD will take forever. secondly the cost of cloud storage is very high. For SatelliteGuys were were using Amazon AWS and it was very expensive with just 3 tb of data each month.
I thought about that which is why I never pushed the issue. The cost to Dish would be incredible to service even a portion of their 14 million. Now if they had limited abilities and charged for it, that way atleast some of the tab is picked up, and could be a choice, that could be in the future. Honestly I don't expect anything in the foreseeable future about this, but just tossing ideas around. Another cool idea would be a storage of timers to back up in DA when you have multiple receivers. It may just be me, but I would love to be able to move individual timers from one receiver to the other without having to delete it and recreate it, in cases of not airing shows. Just ideas to toss around, and they already hit a home run with the current setup and are once again the technology leaders in the pay tv industry.

It's also a bold statement about the NAS, because I seem to remember (~ ten years ago?) Dish demonstrating an enormous HP cabinet that was indeed a NAS. Unless I'm confabulating...
That was May 5 or 6 years ago that the concept was shown. I would have loved it if they released it.

Unfortunately the studios will not allow it.

Reactions: TheKrell
That was May 5 or 6 years ago that the concept was shown. I would have loved it if they released it.

Unfortunately the studios will not allow it.

Thanks. I'm glad I'm not confabulating. ;) But, but... Why not encrypt the data just like it is on an EHD? IMHO the studios should be happy with that, if they are happy with the EHD.

Someone mentioned Cloud storage of DVR content. I am unable to use Apple's Photos fully because it clobbers my ADSL-based U-Verse when I enable it. And that's with my 25 Mbps download and a lowly 120 GB of photos. Imagine wiping out your home Internet for days on end, or possibly losing the "home use" aspect of your service because your ISP as determined that you're uploading too much data. I'm more than happy to store it locally, thank you very much.

Regarding the ability of the internal HD to handle 16 tuners at once (or 17 if you include the OTA dongle) and reading up to seven stream off of the SATA drive, I am impressed. Not so because of the amount of data, but because of how the file system needs to be able to pull it all together. It may be a case of the recordings being written together in one long stream with no attempt to separate them, but then to be able to stop writing and buffer while you go bouncing to other tracks to read six or seven other events, well, my hat is off to the software engineers who pulled this off!

Scott even asked if I thought it was possible to record 16 things at once and I thought he was spouting horse-processed hay & oats. I'm sure he had a big, evil grin on his face as he was typing that question!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)