New Hopper?

But you are assuming that if a NAS was used for back up than the files wouldn't be encrypted, I find that highly unlikely.
On the contrary, DISH would take that step and that's not a Gbps process.

If NAS/cloud were offered, would more than a tiny percentage of subscribers use it?

if eSATA was the requirement for an EHD, would there be a large number using it?

Everything comes down to ROI.

if eSATA was the requirement for an EHD, would there be a large number using it?
Based on the FCC filing for the next Hopper, they have dropped the eSATA port. Reason is most likely lack of use vs hardware cost.

What % of Dish users you think have external drives hooked up? I'll bet the number is very low.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

But those are likely their stickiest, and perhaps more profitable, customers.

But those are likely their stickiest, and perhaps more profitable, customers.
I'm not so sure that's all together true.
I know 2 family member with Externals, And all they do is wait until the Premium channels have free previews and record the crap out of everything.

IMO someone that is profitable, Spends their money on programming, No someone who records a ton of free stuff.
Most people don't even come close to using the 2 TB the Hopper has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Stickiest, maybe. They use an external drive because they know the HDD will fail and they have no intention of losing their recordings by leaving Dish. More than once when ours has failed, my wife is frustrated with losing stuff and says we should leave Dish. I tell her that drives fail with everyone...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

And if you leave Dish those recordings are gone anyway.... I have 2 drives that I save select programs/movies/??? to. After lets see now 7+ years of having that ability I watch exactly zip... or close to it any of those recordings.... I do watch some but if those disappeared.... "F" it.. There was a fellow here on the Dish forum who I gathered had a farm's worth of drives... No way he could watch everything he recorded even if he brought in people to watch with him!

This reminds me of the gentleman that was mad when he cancelled Dish and found out he cannot take his recordings with him.

Sounded strange to me but heard from a dish rep that the new Hooper will have 16 tuners... Could just be a proto type but take it for what its worth... Also they said they had the new UI and its black and red and it takes time to get used to

Sounded strange to me but heard from a dish rep that the new Hooper will have 16 tuners... Could just be a proto type but take it for what its worth... Also they said they had the new UI and its black and red and it takes time to get used to

16 tuners is sure an interesting thing. If true, it probably would require extra fees to activate all of them?

I've also been told that the new UI might be out in the next month or two.

16 tuners is sure an interesting thing. If true, it probably would require extra fees to activate all of them?

I've also been told that the new UI might be out in the next month or two.
And what year will this be available?

Just because CES, Has a New Hopper doesn't mean we'll see it anytime soon.

The new UI was introduced at CES 2015.
Now we are at 2016 CES.

Reactions: bobvick
And what year will this be available?

The new UI was introduced at CES 2015.
Now we are at 2016 CES.

I'm aware that Carbon was introduced one year ago. We've been waiting for it since it's original timeframe release of second quarter 2015. I don't believe much of anything that Dish says anymore. I was told, however, by a Dish tech that it is still in beta testing but could be released in the next month or two. But I won't believe it until I see it -- and probably won't like it after I do. LOL

Reactions: Troch77
FWIW, at a recent retailer get-together or some sort, a Dish high-level rep (not a phone rep, etc, but a management type person) advised retailers to be careful with their stock level of the "old" Hoppers because of a new receiver that is on the way.

FWIW, at a recent retailer get-together or some sort, a Dish high-level rep (not a phone rep, etc, but a management type person) advised retailers to be careful with their stock level of the "old" Hoppers because of a new receiver that is on the way.
Oh I believe there is a New Hopper in the works.
I was just stating not everything at CES makes production, or even releases within a month or two after CES, even if it makes production.

If I was Dish, I certainly wouldn't take my time releasing New products this day an age.

My Galaxy S5 phone isn't even 2 years old and already a S7 is in the works.

I see a disturbing trend where people seems to be putting a lot of credence in what anonymous "DISH reps" say. This typically doesn't end well for those who's hopes are raised.

Remember that those who could know are typically under an NDA.

Reactions: Foxbat and osu1991
Based on the FCC filing for the next Hopper, they have dropped the eSATA port. Reason is most likely lack of use vs hardware cost.
I expect that the reason is more likely the dearth of off-the-shelf and appropriately sized eSATA hard drives. I pity the DIRECTV eSATA folks that have to roll their own and hope it works.

There's just not much point in eSATA these days with USB3 available. One less port and chipset, since they need USB for other uses.

There's just not much point in eSATA these days with USB3 available. One less port and chipset, since they need USB for other uses.
Although I agree that there is no need for an eSATA port, the internal drive is still SATA so there is no additional "chipset" required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts