New Hopper?

Although I agree that there is no need for an eSATA port, the internal drive is still SATA so there is no additional "chipset" required.

In the strictest sense of the word chipset, you may be right, but there is a reduction in the number of components needed regardless.

Although I agree that there is no need for an eSATA port, the internal drive is still SATA so there is no additional "chipset" required.
eSATA isn't just SATA with a power line. It specifies wider ranges of voltages and has a higher transmission voltage to facilitate longer cables. There may well be non-negligible costs to support it over and above placing the connector in the backplane.

16 tuners, 4K, Gigabit Ethernet, you tube, USB3, 4 HD screens displayed at once (great for football parties). Sounds like most of the rumors were true. Who knows maybe even more will end up being true, I mean NAS support could be added down the road. Oh yeah and the Hopper Go, which I may pick up for those road trips.

I don't recall that NAS support has ever risen to the level of a rumor. More like a pipe dream absent the realities of the pay TV business model.
Bold statement... Bold about how a 16 tuner hopper would never exist, and the technology doesn't exist to make it happen as well.

Reactions: JSheridan
I see a disturbing trend where people seems to be putting a lot of credence in what anonymous "DISH reps" say. This typically doesn't end well for those who's hopes are raised.

Remember that those who could know are typically under an NDA.
The tuner count seems to grow just as a certain wooden puppet's nose.
I don't recall that NAS support has ever risen to the level of a rumor. More like a pipe dream absent the realities of the pay TV business model.

Whatever, spout your negativity to someone who actually may listen to it.

Bold statement... Bold about how a 16 tuner hopper would never exist, and the technology doesn't exist to make it happen as well.
It doesn't look good for my rationalization at this time. I'm still waiting to see what limitations there are on simultaneous use.

I still can't figure out what the purpose of a 16 tuner DVR capable of recording "up to" 20 channels at once might be. Go big or go home I guess.

Then I remember that before the DIRECTV HR20 was announced and released, all the documentation (manuals and press releases) said that it would be able to record three channels at once.

Whatever, spout your negativity to someone who actually may listen to it.
I prefer to think of it as sanity and managing expectations.

I believe there should be a compelling reason for adding new features or channels. I also believe that they shouldn't be afraid to shed old features (or channels) that didn't prove out.

Compelling in my mind means more than 10% of the user base will be very happy. I don't believe that NAS support would reach .01% interest.

Reactions: osu1991
I prefer to think of it as sanity and managing expectations.

I believe there should be a compelling reason for adding new features or channels. I also believe that they shouldn't be afraid to shed old features (or channels) that didn't prove out.

Compelling in my mind means more than 10% of the user base will be very happy. I don't believe that NAS support would reach .01% interest.

I personally am very impressed with what has been announced with the Hopper 3 as well as the other new hardware so I guess I was able to manage my expectation all by myself, believe it or not we are adults and we do not need you to manage our expectations for us.

When Scott started this thread he stated, "...So with that said, for a little fun, if you were to improve the Hopper with Sling into a new brand new Hopper what features would you like to see it have...". Yet all you did was take peoples ideas and tear them apart.

I personally am very impressed with what has been announced with the Hopper 3 as well as the other new hardware so I guess I was able to manage my expectation all by myself, believe it or not we are adults and we do not need you to manage our expectations for us.

When Scott started this thread he stated, "...So with that said, for a little fun, if you were to improve the Hopper with Sling into a new brand new Hopper what features would you like to see it have...". Yet all you did was take peoples ideas and tear them apart.
He lives in a mythical land with golden paved roads, and buildings made of chocolate. He still will not admit he may be completely wrong and has no idea what he is talking about, and will still spout off saying things as if they were true, when in fact it is only designed in his own mind. I'm not saying he is wrong about NAS support, but I am saying he has no clue whatsoever about what he is talking about.

Reactions: darrengs
He lives in a mythical land with golden paved roads, and buildings made of chocolate. He still will not admit he may be completely wrong and has no idea what he is talking about, and will still spout off saying things as if they were true, when in fact it is only designed in his own mind. I'm not saying he is wrong about NAS support, but I am saying he has no clue whatsoever about what he is talking about.

NAS would be nice but, by no means is it a big deal. An automated backup to a USB3 EHD would be nice, I am just a little gun shy after losing a HWS sling hard drive and all of the content.

Last edited:
NAS would be nice but, by no means is it a big deal. An automated backups to a USB3 EHD would be nice, I am just a little gun shy after losing a HWS sling hard drive and all of the content.
I still want cloud support for atleast a portion of recordings. Do it like ICloud where there is physical memory and limited iCloud memory

Interesting, isn't it ? New members, people who claimed to be employees, etc, etc came here and said it would have (16) tuners and everyone disputed their claims ! Many who were skeptical then disputed the ability for the internal HDD to be able to handle it - some said it's not even possible. I'll admit that my speculation was it would be "virtual" tuners, a la PTAT type set up.

Yet everyone keeps attacking harshness....

Reactions: osu1991
Hall I wish I could explain the story of why but I can't at the moment. Someday I hope I will be able to. Once you know you would understand.

Some folks just come here to talk negative about a company because they don't like that company and I don't mind if you have a gripe but when some come over and post just total Bullsh!t then maybe it's time for those folks to go.

We need to get away with users picking on users (and yes I am guilty of it too) and get back to helping members with their issues and returning to the friendly site we were known for.

I still want cloud support for atleast a portion of recordings. Do it like ICloud where there is physical memory and limited iCloud memory
I suppose cloud backups for DVR storage would work and could capitalize on multiple users storing the same program (like iTunes iCloud storage), but it would be slow for many with limited internet bandwidth. I believe the reason we have not seen backups for DVR storage is the content provider's concern over "two copies" of the same program. They need to get over it.

I don't see cloud storage coming anytime soon, first most people don't have good upload speeds so sending an hour show in HD will take forever. secondly the cost of cloud storage is very high. For SatelliteGuys were were using Amazon AWS and it was very expensive with just 3 tb of data each month.

Hall I wish I could explain the story of why but I can't at the moment. Someday I hope I will be able to.
I'm not referring to you. Not until a day or two before CES did you even give any hints (you told people to wait for the announcement 'cause it was good). You never said how many tuners it would or wouldn't have. You did, actually, question if HDDs could handle that many though ;)

Those who said it would have (16) tuners were pretty much anonymous (wise on their part).

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts