New house that has existing coaxial lines ran but dont know where they go

creeval

Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Hey everyone,

I just moved into a new house that was previously owned by a guy who finished the basement on his own and it has a stub out for 2 coaxial cables in the wall but I can't figure out where they are ran to. Basically I had a guy sent out from Directv to install our new dish from moving and he said he didn't know where those were ran to so he didn't use the existing wires ran in the wall and just "stapled" one along the molding by the floor. This looks really bad and I am just trying to figure out if there is something I can use to send a signal through the cable and use some sort of tester that I can put along the wall to figure out where it is ran to or if it is being split?

Thanks,

-CV

I know of a tone generator that is used for telephone lines but I don't know if it would work for coax ?

The tone generator for phone lines will work for coax. Need to be sure that you have a good connection with the tone generator and take your time to trace the cable thru the walls. I've used this method several times. I would guess that the previuos owner ran the lines to a central location. I would look where your exixting cable lines are or by the circuit panel.

You can connect a AA battery to one end of the unknown cable then look for 1.5 volts with a multimeter at the other end. Then label them as you go.

If you mean to say that there is two coaxes in one box then I would suspect that you should install a tap in the box. One end is the feed and the other goes on to feed another box somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)