New HR34-700 install in large SWIM setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tampa Satman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Texas
I will try my best to establish the install with a new HR-34-700 (Genie) DVR.

I have a large number of DVR's and HD receivers in a 16 port SWIM install. Of the 16 ports that was there, 12 were being used. As we know the HR-34 wants/needs 5 ports. Unless I was going to sacrifice a receiver then we needed to add another 16 channel SWIM, correct?

Well thats what was done.... another SWIM was installed. The legacy 16 port SWIM did not really change too much. It was tied into the new SWIM system install and the HR-34/700 Genie DVR is the only thing on the new SWIM.

Here is my question. I am attempting to view content from some of the other DVR's in the house on the HR-34 DVR... the content is herky jerky and almost always an alert will show up that the DVR that the HR-34 was connected to access the content saying the DVR has disconnected from the network.

The connections have been checked and I could draw a digram but are there any ideas on a solution to this issue?

Has anyone had a similar herky-jerky viewing of content on a system like this?

I can elaborate more if need by with the right posed questions...

Thanks in advance.

I did contact the Tech who installed the HR-34 and he is going to follow up this week.

Best Regards.

I am subscribed to the thread.

With the HR34 on one SWM16, and the other DVRs on the other SWM16, what is providing the path for whole-home between the two SWM16s? Do you have a DECA-based bridge between them?

There are two DECA's. One for each swim unit. There is a individual run of CAT 5 for each DECA to the same router. Great question, I didnt add that to the description. One thing I am going to do tonight is a patch... there are five HD receivers, non-DVR's, I dont watch any content from the DVR's in the system. I am going to move those five to the new SWIM system and move the HR-34 to the legacy SWIM, in other words putting all the DVR's on the same SWIM and one-two HD receivers... I will see how this goes. I am thinking that this second SWIM system has some bandwidth issues in relationship to the legacy SWIM. I will report back later today...
I would want all the receivers, DVR and non-DVR to work as they should in the long run but its one of those test and see how it works.

Does the problem exist with any receiver/DVR connected to the HR34? Or just certain model numbers?
What sort of splitter configuration are you using?

I got the same setup. You might want to consider getting a seperate router to tie both DECCAS together, this way the video streams are not running accross your main router you use to run your internet.

I have both of mine connected together using a $500 netgear Gigabyte managed switch

Last edited:
I was advised by the tech to run the DECAS to the same router. He didnt mention anything about a specific setup for the router. Secondly, all the content locally is streamed thru the coax, no? I dont know if that will solve the issue. This morning I am going to go to the "headend" and put all the DVR's on the same DECA/SWIM setup. The ancillary HD non-DVR receivers that I use for non-DVR watching will be on the new DECA-SWIM. By moving over 3-4 non DVR HD receivers it will free up enough ports on the original setup to have all the DVR's including the GENIE on the same.
I do notice that all the DVR's on the original SWIM do not have an issue with any streaming glitches. I cannot view any of the DVR's on the GENIE without a problem, each time it will drop the network connection.

Here is some of the things a D* tech and myself have done. The DVR's are all located on the same DECA/SWIM. These DVR's are on a 4 port splitter. This includes the HR-34, and 3 HR-22's. The other non-DVR receivers are not of critical issue to not be connected to the same SWIM-DECA setup. Claude is on point with his assertion that a gigabit router will be needed for the setup to work without glitching on the second SWIM-DECA setup. I am in the process of purchasing/installing a new switch at the headend. This will create a sub-net for them to communicate. I do have a second question....

I noticed last night and this is not the first time. My wife was wanting to watch a recorded program on the Genie HR-34 from a HR-22 that I was recording a show and also watching a show. The show she wanted to watch was unavailable with the red circle with a slash on it. I stopped recording the show being recorded and this did not correct the issue, I turned off the HR-22. With no change, so I re-booted the HR-22. I was tired and went to sleep to see the results.
This issue has been happening from HR-22 to HR-22... my question is shouldnt these DVR's have the ability to view content on another DVR and record one show? Is there something I can do to clear this issue up? Im in the process of transferring the record process over the the HR-34 but its taking time and just a PITA for all these DVR's.

Thanks.

Tampa Satman said:
Here is some of the things a D* tech and myself have done. The DVR's are all located on the same DECA/SWIM. These DVR's are on a 4 port splitter. This includes the HR-34, and 3 HR-22's. The other non-DVR receivers are not of critical issue to not be connected to the same SWIM-DECA setup. Claude is on point with his assertion that a gigabit router will be needed for the setup to work without glitching on the second SWIM-DECA setup. I am in the process of purchasing/installing a new switch at the headend. This will create a sub-net for them to communicate. I do have a second question....

I noticed last night and this is not the first time. My wife was wanting to watch a recorded program on the Genie HR-34 from a HR-22 that I was recording a show and also watching a show. The show she wanted to watch was unavailable with the red circle with a slash on it. I stopped recording the show being recorded and this did not correct the issue, I turned off the HR-22. With no change, so I re-booted the HR-22. I was tired and went to sleep to see the results.
This issue has been happening from HR-22 to HR-22... my question is shouldnt these DVR's have the ability to view content on another DVR and record one show? Is there something I can do to clear this issue up? Im in the process of transferring the record process over the the HR-34 but its taking time and just a PITA for all these DVR's.

Thanks.

How are you running 11 tuners on 1 4-way? Even though you have a 16 you can still only install 8 tuners on each leg of the 16. You're creating too many tuners on 1 side of the 16. As for the red circles, one possibility could be another DVR is already streaming it in another location that you're unaware of or the decas are having an issue receiving the audio/video packets from that receiver but you can still see the show is there, just unable to find it

Hutch,
Here is the setup... Antenna has four coax runs from the LNB. These four are split to eight. Each SWIM is getting four lines. There are two SWIMS and each swim has a DECA run to my router. This router needs to be upgraded, which is going to be a Gigabit switch that will have a subnet of the main router. The router will be placed at the "headend" of this install.
On one of the SWIMS-DECA is a four port splitter. On this splitter is the HR-34, HR-22/700, HR22/700 and a HR-24. This setup is working without a problem. The other individual receivers are on the other SWIM-DECA setup. If I attempt to view recorded content from a DVR to a non-DVR receiver then it will herky-jerky, hence the new gigabit switch.

As for the red circles with slash... I KNOW that the other receivers are not viewing content... is there an upgrade Im missing or is the equipment malfunctioning? Will a normal DVR be able to stream content to two DVR/receivers? I try to go to other receivers and the same issue appears.

Tampa Satman said:
Hutch,
Here is the setup... Antenna has four coax runs from the LNB. These four are split to eight. Each SWIM is getting four lines. There are two SWIMS and each swim has a DECA run to my router. This router needs to be upgraded, which is going to be a Gigabit switch that will have a subnet of the main router. The router will be placed at the "headend" of this install.
On one of the SWIMS-DECA is a four port splitter. On this splitter is the HR-34, HR-22/700, HR22/700 and a HR-24. This setup is working without a problem. The other individual receivers are on the other SWIM-DECA setup. If I attempt to view recorded content from a DVR to a non-DVR receiver then it will herky-jerky, hence the new gigabit switch.

As for the red circles with slash... I KNOW that the other receivers are not viewing content... is there an upgrade Im missing or is the equipment malfunctioning? Will a normal DVR be able to stream content to two DVR/receivers? I try to go to other receivers and the same issue appears.

When you say "SWIMS" what exactly ate you talking about? A 16, 8, a 32? I've got a lot of confusion at this point. ;)

Both Swims are 16. Sorry for that. My issue is not getting two streams of content from one DVR.
1. Will a HR-22 show a content feed to another receiver, while the originating receiver is recording one show? Mine did not.
2. When I go to another HR-22 and look to play recorded contant while another receiver has already started to stream content the first reciever will show circles with slash indicating I am unable to view that content.
What is the deal with these receivers? This has been an issue before the "upgrade" to the second SWIM system. This all coming to ahead due and I would like a reason and a solution.

Tampa Satman said:
Both Swims are 16. Sorry for that. My issue is not getting two streams of content from one DVR.
1. Will a HR-22 show a content feed to another receiver, while the originating receiver is recording one show? Mine did not.
2. When I go to another HR-22 and look to play recorded contant while another receiver has already started to stream content the first reciever will show circles with slash indicating I am unable to view that content.
What is the deal with these receivers? This has been an issue before the "upgrade" to the second SWIM system. This all coming to ahead due and I would like a reason and a solution.

I gotcha! For starters, up need 4 power passing splitters and they all need to be hooked up to the same sat slots on the 16 from the splitters. You need to take at least 3 of them tuners ( I recommend keeping the 34 by itself on a led and the rest of the DVRs on another leg) off the 4 way. A 4way will work but still, only 8 tuners per leg. If you're recording on a HR22 and want to finishing watching it else where as its being recorded you should be able to. Sounds like you're having a problem bridging the 2 16's together or it could be too much for the one side of the 16 that has 11 tuners on it. When it comes to the bridging part, count me out. I tell customers I won't get involved in it. I don't have enough knowledge about it to be confident that I can make it secure so I don't touch it.

The way it SHOULD work is example

HR22 in bedroom is recording "show x" you go to the living room and pull up the list "show x" should be playable. HR22 in family room can't stream from either HR22's until one of them stops the playback of (show x). However, the 34 could stream to all 3 if you wanted it to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.